WOMEN and GUNS

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
No. Go right ahead. If you feel your shotgun is the numero uno, el primo, number one and only best firearm,
feel free to imagine whatever situations you wish to justify your opinion.
Pretend I made up just as many in favor of handguns.

And then jump all over me for putting words in your mouth before you ever thought of them.
I'm reasonably sure you would own one if that were your preference.
I acknowledge the objective value of a shotgun,
in that with a broad cone, u need not aim as precisely,
and it has the advantage of being a short range weapon.
On the downside, it is less manuverable because of length,
and will probably be kept in a closet somewhere.
As u said, each to his own taste; its a personal decision.

I favor a .44 special revolver, loaded with hollowpointed slugs,
to tend to put the brakes on it within the target,
so as to optimize energy-dump where it does some good.

Years ago, I kept an M-1 Carbine with a 30 round magazine by my bed.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:22 am
The topic has been "women and guns" not women and handguns. My wife handles both, and Im considering getting a revolver because I dont like the auto's penchant to jm every so often. Even our Sig 45 jams about 1 time every 100 or so. (I used to have a Hi Power that jammed almost every other shot). I had it taken apart and re aligned, and even with severe cleaning, it still jammed. Ever since Browing went overseas, they dont work the same.

I (and my wife) never pack in public, its just too much paranoia and were not willing to deal with it. If I do travel into really bad areas on my job, I will pack my Sig , but thats me alone. I still feel that my best weapon is my 8000 lb diesel pickup truck driven at high velocity at the miscreants will deter them somewhat.

Happy and gunfire free Easter Seasons to all
maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:25 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

As my daughter-in-law said, what do you do if your house is broken into? Tell the burglar to wait while you get your gun. Any protection offered by a gun is a illusory.

I think this is a comment that is without merit. One of the reasons we bought dogs or have an alarm is for this very reason. My dogs wouldn't hurt a fly, but the minute they see someone they don't know they start barking. I would have plenty of time to wake up, grab the shotgun from under the bed and defend my wife. The only downside is that I keep a round in the chamber, so I don't get the sound of racking a round.

Speaking of which, in movies why do people point their guns at somebody and when they are about to get serious they pull back the slide and load a round. Without a round in the chamber the gun is useless. If I were in that situation, the minute insaw the guy bring heir hand up to load a round l, I'd fire.

I can't be the only one who keeps the gun loaded and a round chambered at all times.
roger

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:28 am
@maporsche,
You are not the only one, and a DA automatic is perfectly safe in that condition. Not that confident with a rifle or shotgun being chambered, unless it had an external hammer.
raprap

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Black Powder misfires are the consequence of poor maintenance.

The sulfer in black powder is very corrosive, consequently misfires are common if you don't clean the foring pan, touch hole, and barrel frequently and thouroughly.

I've seen blanket and turkey shoots with black powder, where the highly experienced marksman swabs the rifle after each shot and pricks the cap or touchhole after every third shot where misfires are rare--about as common as a jam with a modern rifle. The key is cleaning.

To make sure my blackpowder firearm is fuctional I follow the listed directives along with a thourough dissassembly and cleaning after and before each use, along with storage in a clean dry location.

Consequently, misfires are rare when in the clutch of harvesting a whitetail or participating in competition.

Same goes with friends with muzzle loading shotguns.

BTW I have a friend who does trap and skeet with a black powder double barrel.

Black Powder pistols require regular use and cleaning to maintain function in a clutch, but in the day when their use was necessary usually practice and maintenance was routine.

To make the point, Frank James --Jesse's older brother, carried a black powder Remington throughout his career as an owlhoot. A Career that spanned the introduction of the Colt 45 and smokeless powder. When asked why--he supposidly stated that the smell and smoke left an air of customer compliance.

Rap
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:09 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You are not the only one, and a DA automatic is perfectly safe in that condition. Not that confident with a rifle or shotgun being chambered, unless it had an external hammer.

My Mossburg 500 has a safety, which is located right near the thumb when you're holding the gun. That's as safe as I need.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The topic has been "women and guns" not women and handguns. My wife handles both, and Im considering getting a revolver because I dont like the auto's penchant to jm every so often. Even our Sig 45 jams about 1 time every 100 or so. (I used to have a Hi Power that jammed almost every other shot). I had it taken apart and re aligned, and even with severe cleaning, it still jammed.
AGREED. Automatics have always been known for that. A friend of mine got a Glock.
We tried it new, out-of-the-box and it jammed 3 times within the first 15 round magazine.
On more seldom occasions, my 1940 9mm Luger P-'08 jams.
My M-1 Carbines, based on the same architecture, frequently jammed.
What kind of revolver do u favor ?

farmerman wrote:
Happy and gunfire free Easter Seasons to all
Happy Easter, Farmer.

David
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I dont have a fav yet, but I think itll have to be something fairly large. My wife is capable of firing a 45 and weve both fired the 50 cal at my cousins range. Its got a bit of a kick but hits the target and is a meany
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The topic has been "women and guns" not women and handguns. My wife handles both, and Im considering getting a revolver because I dont like the auto's penchant to jm every so often. Even our Sig 45 jams about 1 time every 100 or so. (I used to have a Hi Power that jammed almost every other shot). I had it taken apart and re aligned, and even with severe cleaning, it still jammed.
Quoth John Dillinger:
"Never trust the word of a district attorney or an automatic pistol."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:08 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
I dont have a fav yet, but I think itll have to be something fairly large.
farmerman wrote:
My wife is capable of firing a 45 and weve both fired the 50 cal at my cousins range. Its got a bit of a kick but hits the target and is a meany
U might consider a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk, if u want BIG. U can shoot .44 magnum or .44 special from it.
Once, at a gunnery range, I loaded mine with alternating rounds of .44 special and magnum: that was quite a sensation.
Quite a difference!

The weight of the gun is significant in absorbing recoil.
I wish the Ruger were heavier.

David
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
@maporsche,
Speaking of which, in movies why do people point their guns at somebody and when they are about to get serious they pull back the slide and load a round.

Dramatic effect.

There is a western/gunfighter movie called....."The Quick and the Dead"....Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone....during the film, Hackman has a couple of henchmen, all dressed in dusters, and packing lever action rifles.

Several times during the film, at Hackmans signal, the henchmen are shown drawing a bead on someone then working the lever to put a round in the chamber. Never do you see a spent round or an unspent round exit the rifles, the only way for that to be possible....was the henchmen would have to unload the rifles, then start fresh with the first round each time.

Maybe at night they sat around their henchmans quarters, emptying the magazines, and practicing looking cool/dramatic while working the lever, then reloading the rifle in the morning before work began....but I'm pretty sure they did this more than once during the same day....maybe more, they did it a lot. So perhaps they had union breaks to take care of this problem as well.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:56 am
@2PacksAday,
Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

oh crud.

dave, the smilies mean I agree with 2pax. and found it verra funny...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:12 am

SO STIPULATED.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:14 am
@2PacksAday,
Chambering a round disturbs your aim;
hence, logic requires that u chamber the round before u aim.

David
0 Replies