Medicine Meets Art in Lifetime 28,000-Pill Display

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
Medicine Meets Art in 28,000-Pill Display
Oct 30

LONDON Oct 29 (Reuters) - A display of 28,000 pills representing a typical couple's lifetime consumption of medicinal drugs will form the centerpiece of a exhibition at the new Wellcome gallery, which opens next week at the British Museum.

"Cradle To The Grave," created by artists Susie Freeman and David Critchley and family doctor Liz Lee, is described as a "contemporary British approach to wellbeing."

Their contribution consists of two lengths of fabric, 13 meters long by 1.5 meters wide, stitched with tablets that a typical man or woman may have taken during their lifetime.

Lee used the medical records of her patients to produce the fictitious life histories of a 76-year-old man and an 82-year-old woman.

Alongside the landscape will be family photographs and documents and other medical devices such as a hearing aid, which mark their progress through life.

The installation forms part of the "Living and Dying" exhibition, which shows the diverse ways cultures around the world seek to minimize life's adversities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 833 • Replies: 2
No top replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:11 am
This sounds more like a science exhibit than
art but still! A Canadian sculptor made a huge
sculpture of the anti-depressant pill Paxil. I believe a court case ensued regarding copyright. The artist won the case as far as I remember.

Thanks for bringing this interesting subject to our attention!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Pills on exhibit. Is it really art? Though, I would like to know what kind of pills they have on display and why we consume them.
I agree with shepaints...sounds more like a science exhibit. Very interesting.
0 Replies