Price Gouging at the Movies

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:26 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ticket prices will be going up at movie theaters across the country this weekend as the entertainment industry looks to cash in on growing demand for 3-D movies following the success of "Avatar" and "Alice in Wonderland."

Starting Friday, prices for adult admission to 3-D movies will increase an average 8.3% at box offices nationwide, according to market research conducted by investment firm BTIG. Ticket prices for IMAX movies are expected to jump 10%, while prices for regular 2-D movies will rise about 4% on average.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/25/technology/3D_movie_ticket_price_spike/index.htm?hpt=T2

so I went to see a couple of movies these last two months, the first in about a year.....time to stop again. I cant justify the tab when I can watch at home on my very fabulous theater system. 3d can be nice, but I am not paying $10 a hour plus sit through commercials to do it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 731 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
What kills me is paying $2 for a new set of 3D glasses when I have several sets sitting at home unused. I refuse to see movies in 3D. I go to the 2D versions for a couple of dollars less if I go at all.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@engineer,
that seems odd, I thought most theaters washed the glasses and included it in the price as mine does.

the thing that gets me is for the price of one reg move plus a small drink I can watch all the netfixs I want for a month, infact over the last year they have dropped their price. Once I stop paying attention to the new movies coming out in theater and start paying attention to the new movies that hit netflixs I dont feel like I am missing anything, there is always something new and exciting to watch. It is like dvr for movies, time shift a few months and save 90% + the cost of entertainment. For my family of 5 the cost of this cinema entertainment is $50 a hour after drinks and a popcorn to share, as of Friday the cost of Imax is $70 a hour, the economics dont work for me.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:10 am
@hawkeye10,
The last movie I saw in a theatre was Lord of the Rings I... I don't see why people want to get in their car, drive to a theatre, pay $$$ for the movie and popcorn/licorice, then sit in one spot for 2.5 hrs to see something they could see at home in a month.

At home, you can pause, rewind, ffwd if you want - you can eat the snacks you want, watch it in your pjs, don't have annoying people coughing and talking, go to the bathroom if you need to, and you don't have to leave the house.

Most movies aren't that much better on the large screen anyway.
Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
@Mame,
What she said.
0 Replies