Congrats USA! Health care for all!! ??

georgeob1

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:09 am
@parados,
Federal Law trumps state law only if the Federal law itself derives from the enumerated powers provided to the Federal government by the constitution. The powers of the state governments, according to our constitution, are broader and more fundamental than those of the Federal government. With respect to Obamacare, there are indeed issues relating to the constitutionality of some aspects of this little read and grotesque legislation now before the courts.

In short the argument you are making is superficial and ignores valid issues now before the courts.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:19 am

It will be a great day in America when both Obama and Obamacare are gone.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:59 am
@roger,
How about a dollar value rather than it doubled. That dosent tell me much. I have become suspicious of % statements. 100% of a buck isent much.
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 05:17 pm
@RABEL222,
From $27.xx to $58.xx. Used to cover Hyzaar. Now it mostly covers Walmart generics. I've known others who weren't interesed in delta %, but if you are in a position to think that a monthly increase of $31.xx isn't much, I really envy you. When you disparage the actual amount of increase, are you considering the loss in real value? Price doubles, value drops to nothing in my situation.

Ah, but there is a silver lining! They now must cover half the cost of prescriptions once you enter the 'donut hole'. Great. Half the cost of what's on the formulary they chose to present. You must be standing in line for that one.

RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 06:23 pm
@roger,
I think that a increase from 30 to 60 is a bunch. But you are still doing better than i am. $75 / month increase for my private insurance and I am on medicare. Going to check out some other insurances. But an increase of 2 from one is a 100% increase so like I said I dont trust %.
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
@RABEL222,
That's a medigap medical policy isn't it? When I was working, our policy covered more prescriptions than medicare, and everyone in town accepted it. I'm trying to remember the total cost in 2007. I think it was something like the mid 600's, with my portion being around $65 bi-weekly. For the coverage it offered that was a really good price.

The real issue with medicare around here is that while some doctors accept medicare assignments from existing patients, none in general practice take new patients with medicare. My eye doctor does. He says he would be out of business if he didn't since most chronic eye problems start around age 60 or 65.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:29 pm
@roger,
Yes. But it dosent do much for doc, and hospital bills. Medicare pays about 80% of the doctor and hospital but the private insurance pays about 50% claiming that they pay 80% of the 20% that medicare dosent. I pay $480 now and its going up to $560 on the 1st of July. Cant afford to drop it because of the drug coverage. My wife has Rehumtoid Arthuritus "cant spell it" and pays $2500/month so I cant afford to be without it and probebly couldent get on a new one anyway. Please dont get on me about the % I posted.
roger

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 02:40 am
@RABEL222,
I get your point in a big way.

I note that the insurers sound really generous, though. While they do in fact (depending on the plan) pay much, or all of the amount medicare doesn't cover, when they pay the 20% not covered, that is 20% of the amount medicare allows the provider to charge. While they are not being dishonest, they are most assuredly not paying 20% of the normal charge for uninsured patients. I had laser surgery for glaucoma in 2009. I had to ask to find the straight up charge, but it turned out to be about $2,100. My 20% portion after medicare was something like $120. That would have been the total loss to insurer, barring followup treatment.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 06:44 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

My wife has Rehumtoid Arthuritus "cant spell it" and pays $2500/month ...

Are you saying your wife pays $2500/month for a single medication?
Miller

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 06:47 am
Many physicians, today, will not accept medicaid patients. Likewise, many physicians have refused to take medicare patients.

One thing, about to happen is the growth of nurse practioners taking on the roles of "doctors". Do we want this?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:40 pm
@Miller,
No. But between medicare, private ins and what we have to pay, it costs $2,500/ month for an injection self medicated. The two of us, myself and my wife, have to pay something like $600/ month for $4,000 worth of medicines $3,400 of which are paid by insurance. Without it we couldent afford to buy the medicine.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

It will be a great day in America when both Obama and Obamacare are gone.

A great day indeed Laughing
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
That way the INsurance Companies and the Pharmas will have unbridled control of their rising profits.

Maybe some more lies will help your cause spurt. How about some more lies about "death panels"

HAve you even read a precis of the ACT? Hiow bout all the states that have promised through tort reform that health coasts would go down? How many of the states have shown declines in health care costs due to tort reform?

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 05:41 am
@farmerman,
Formerman, if Obamacare is all that - then why have a large number of people and organizations (mostly unions) opted out?
Have you read the long list of those that opted out? Why were they allowed to opt out?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
The first Appelate court to hear a case regarding the Affordable Care Act has ruled that the lower court's opinion - that the act is constitutional, and that the mandate violates no part of the Constitution - was a correct ruling:

Quote:
BREAKING: 6th Circuit Upholds Constitutionality of Affordable Care Act | The majority writes: “We find that the minimum coverage provision is a valid exercise of legislative power by Congress under the Commerce Clause and therefore AFFIRM the decision of the district court.” Key passage:

Quote:
By regulating the practice of self-insuring for the cost of health care delivery, the minimum coverage provision is facially constitutional under the Commerce Clause for two independent reasons. First, the provision regulates economic activity that Congress had a rational basis to believe has substantial effects on interstate commerce. In addition, Congress had a rational basis to believe that the provision was essential to its larger economic scheme reforming the interstate markets in health care and health insurance.

More coverage to follow.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/06/29/257409/breaking-6th-circuit-upholds-constitutionality-of-affordable-care-act/

I strongly suspect that those who believe that this law will be overturned by the courts are mistaken.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:04 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
One thing, about to happen is the growth of nurse practioners taking on the roles of "doctors". Do we want this?

in many situations doctors are not needed and there is no need for their ridiculous billing, so yes, more nurse practitioners is a sensible and desirable outcome
Ceili

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 12:27 pm
@ehBeth,
A few years ago, I met an Irish obstetrician who had never delivered a baby. What??
In the UK most babies are delivered by a nurse/mid-wife. In fact when I asked him what he did, or why he was necessary he couldn't really give me an answer. I'm sure he had some use, somewhere. Nurse practitioners are very common here and quite frankly, they've got better bedside manner and other benefits. Don't knock it till you try it, I guess.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:05 pm
@Ceili,
Like Mexico maybe. Their pharmacists often help by selling drugs that are only available in the US by doctors' prescriptions. I can't say this is good or bad, but I gotta admit it's way cheaper.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 12:49 am
@roger,
If medicare had a real drug plan and could bargain with the drug companies we could get them much cheaper too. But the drug companies own our congress so this wont happen in our lifetime.
roger

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 02:10 am
@RABEL222,
Possibly I've never shared my feelings the ripoff medicare drug plans available in my area. Probably have, though.
0 Replies