i need help with this question no body gets it and my teacher want ME to find the answer please help

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:06 pm
During a shuttle launch, about 830,000 kg of fuel is burned in 8 minutes. The fuel provides the shuttle with a constant thrust, or push off the ground. How does Newton’s second law of motion explain why the shuttles acceleration increases during takeoff?

engineer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:41 pm
@swaylorwwe1110,
Welcome to A2K!

Newton's second law:
Quote:
A body experiencing a force F experiences an acceleration a related to F by F = ma, where m is the mass of the body. Alternatively, force is equal to the time derivative of momentum.

If force = mass x acceleration, then acceleration = force / mass. The problem says the force is constant, but the acceleration is going up. This means the mass must be going down. As the fuel is burned, the shuttle weighs less and less, so it starts to accelerate more.

Hope that helps. Post any questions.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:51 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Hope that helps.

It certainly helped me understand the concept!
0 Replies

swaylorwwe1110

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
@engineer,
thankss soo much tht really helped!!! Smile
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:45 pm
@swaylorwwe1110,
Glad to be of assistance. Come back any time.
0 Replies