States' Rights advocates on a roll these days

roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
And of course, people disputed our right to call ourselves Vespuccians. I mean, anyone from anywhere on the continents of North and South Vespucci could reasonably call themselves Vespuccians, right?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@roger,
Actually, until now I was sure that Vespuccians were Mafiosi on a Vespa.

Thanks, roger!
High Seas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course if only we knew any Scandinavian languages we could drop the Italianate names and go by Viking lore. Where is Saab already?!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:41 pm
@High Seas,
True.

(Dys is only called dyslexia, by the way, because he can't write his own name which is Kyndelsmässodagen.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:29 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
This thread is about understanding the US Constitution, right?

Surely for far too many Americans that is a matter of exegesis . . . the interpretation of Holy Writ. If anyone here knows writs, that oughta be Joe . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:32 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
This notion is not the problem. The problem is that some people, having found the courage to decline instructions from others, then forget that the next step is to use reason, let alone reading comprehension.

I often suspect that many of the people posting here have not even bothered to read the constitution.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 07:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
"Guapo's Mexican Cantina."
now Joe that's just plain silly, everyone knows what is now called the United States was called VespucciLand.

That was before it was called "Guapo's Mexican Cantina." Cripes, what did they teach you in school anyway?

You're both wrong, and I wonder why Setanta hasn't yet set you straight about the well-known history here. The truth, of course, is that until the late 19th century, the "Republic for which it [the Flag] stands" was called Famous Potatoes. In 1890, Idaho became the 43d State, it immediately sued the Union for copyright infringement and won. Now the Federal Government had to find a new name for its product, and quick. Eventually they settled for The United States of America. Evidently joefromchicago wants to cover up the embarrassing role of his profession with this embarrassing bit of revisionist history. History killer! *

-----
* I said that spontaneously in the heat of the debate. Notice, however, that I didn't direct this at joefromchicago. Also note that I carefully worded the comment. I didn't say "history killer!" I said, "It's a history killer!", "it" being the revisionist history under question.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@High Seas,
And who are you?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:29 pm
@dyslexia,
God bless Vespucciland!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:25 am
Right now, the most popular state versus federal conflict seems to be healthcare reform.

Quote:
Fla. Republicans take aim at Obama's health care bill
(By Michael C. Bender, Palm Beach Post, March 22, 2010)

Florida Republicans took aim today at President Obama's health care bill by threatening a lawsuit and a constitutional amendment they hope will block the federal changes.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, a Republican candidate for governor, promised to sue the federal government over its power to require Americans to buy health insurance. McCollum will file the suit Tuesday, despite many constitutional scholars saying similar attempts have failed over the past two centuries.

House Republicans, meanwhile, gave initial approval today to putting a question on the November ballot asking voters to amend the state constitution to say that no Floridian would be compelled to participate in any health care system. But even lawmakers' own analysts pointed out in a study of the bill that the federal government has ultimate authority over conflicts with state law under the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution.

"That sounds like a lot of sound and fury that means nothing," University of Florida Levin College of Law Emeritus Professor Joseph W. Little said of the proposed amendment.

The partisan House debate over the amendment mirrored the national dispute over contentious health care issues. But not all Republicans in the state Capitol were ready to undermine the reform.

Sen. Durell Peaden, the Senate's health care budget chief, cautioned his fellow Republicans against a "rush to judgment."

"People are making these first-blush assaults on a bill that nobody really understands the full impact of," said Peaden, a retired physician.

"There's a lot of political fodder in the wind," he said. "It's easy to say you're going to run for governor or whatever and you're going to change everything. It's a long way to go to reverse what Congress did."

McCollum, whose gubernatorial platform includes reducing health care costs by limiting lawsuits, said he will be joined by attorneys general from 10 others states when he files the complaint Tuesday. An eleventh, Virginia Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, will file his own lawsuit against the federal bill.

All 12 are Republicans. Three, including McCollum, are running for governor in their respective states and five others are seeking re-election. Four are not up for re-election this year.

"This is a political bill that is in response to a Democratic president," Rep. Kelly Skidmore, D-Boca Raton, said during a House committee debate over whether to endorse McCollum's lawsuit. The health and family services panel voted 7-5 on a party-line split to endorse the suit.

"It is really not helping anything in the way of health care to suggest that we will not allow the federal government to respond in any way to the health care crisis in our country," she said.

McCollum's gubernatorial campaign sent out seven press releases about health care reform in the past seven days, but he denied claims that the lawsuit was political.

"No politics involved with this whatsoever," McCollum said. "This is a bad bill."

In his legal analysis, McCollum argues that the federal bill's requirement to buy health insurance or pay a fee, which would not go into effect until 2014, falls outside the federal government's power under the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution. Generally, that section gives Congress great power to regulate the movement of people and things across state lines.

McCollum said the clause lets Congress regulate markets, but does not let it force a consumer to participate in that market.

"This is a tax or a penalty on just living. And that's unconstitutional," McCollum said.

Many constitutional law professors say states have tried and failed with similar lawsuits. But with a conservative Supreme Court, others say McCollum's lawsuit could be worth a shot.

"I don't rule it out," Little said.

House Republicans pushed the proposed constitutional amendment (HJR 37) through the first of four scheduled committee stops on a partisan vote, 10-3.

"This should be done with or without Obama-care," Rep. Scott Plakon, a Longwood Republican sponsoring the bill, said after the meeting, but he acknowledged that the change would mean little if McCollum's suit is unsuccessful.

A similar measure (SJR 72) has two more Senate hearings, including one in Peaden's committee.

"This is one of those things," Peaden said, "that might be really politically hot today. But as you wind it out it burns down. And the people hell-bent to change it might find what they were trying to change is more popular out in the hinterland than they thought."
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:54 am
@wandeljw,
It's my understanding that several State Attorneys General are waiting outside courthouses to file suit the second after Obama signs the bill. Far as I know not all of them are Republican, but of course we'll find out only after all the briefs have been filed. Now I have a Q: does implementation of the law (which goes into effect the moment the bill is signed) get suspended until all legal proceedings are exhausted, and if so, how long does that take?
Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Now I have a Q: does implementation of the law (which goes into effect the moment the bill is signed) get suspended until all legal proceedings are exhausted, and if so, how long does that take?

You mean, like George W. Bush suspended populating Guantanamo Bay until all legal proceedings concerning it were exhausted? Certainly not.
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:07 am
@Thomas,
I (and anyone familiar with public finances) really worry the US dollar will go the way of the Argentinian peso. Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security have a combined actuarial deficit of about $60 trillion and this latest entitlement will obviously add to it. We're at the point where Warren Buffett borrows at rates better than the US Treasury - actual fact. Guantanamo had no net effect on federal finances, so the related jurisprudence isn't relevant here.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:14 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

I (and anyone familiar with public finances) really worry the US dollar will go the way of the Argentinian peso. Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security have a combined actuarial deficit of about $60 trillion and this latest entitlement will obviously add to it. We're at the point where Warren Buffett borrows at rates better than the US Treasury - actual fact. Guantanamo had no net effect on federal finances, so the related jurisprudence isn't relevant here.

'Actuarial debt' of 60 trillion over what, 80 years? C'mon. That's a ridiculous figure.

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You better look up the definition of "actuarial deficit" as you very clearly don't understand the term - hint: discounting is involved, as in using a factor that looks like (1+r)^t. To the point I'm discussing with Thomas - how long will such jurisprudence take, approximately? We know how long it took for Guantanamo, we just don't know if Justice Stevens will still be at the Supreme Court whenever this "entitlement" gets on their docket:
Quote:
So has Stevens. His positions have evolved on such issues as civil rights and the death penalty, and he has led the Court’s counteroffensive against the Bush Administration’s treatment of the detainees at Guantánamo Bay. And, as Stevens’s profile has risen, and his views have moved left, so, too, has criticism of him from conservatives reached a higher pitch. “From the beginning of his time as a Justice, you could see Stevens’s roots in the New Deal Court and his willingness to justify an expanding welfare state,” Richard Epstein, a libertarian-leaning law professor at New York University, said. “On these issues, he’s been consistent and consistently wrong about everything"and highly influential.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/03/22/100322fa_fact_toobin?currentPage=all#ixzz0j17N9qhC
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:21 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
I (and anyone familiar with public finances) really worry the US dollar will go the way of the Argentinian peso.

If that's seriously what your argument is, you can't be as familiar with public finances as you claim to be. Two main reasons:

1) A falling dollar right now would stimulate the American economy by making American goods cheaper abroad and foreign goods more expensive in America. Whether you're right about the dollar falling or not, you might as well shout "fire, fire!" in Noah's flood.

2) The peso crisis was primarily a balance-sheet crisis. Argentina had lots of debt in dollars, with counterbalancing liabilities in pesos. When the currency board broke down and the peso fell against the dollar, a wave of bankruptcy swept over Argentina, causing a financial panic. This can't happen in America because both America's assets and liabilities are in US dollars.

But there's good news: The people who actually put their money on the line in the futures market are really, really, really not expecting a dramatically falling dollar. So if you're as confident about your diagnosis as you pretend, get your life savings out of the bank and invest them in short positions on the dollar. If you're right, you'll be rich in a matter of year!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:21 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
I (and anyone familiar with public finances) really worry the US dollar will go the way of the Argentinian peso.

If that's seriously what your argument is, you can't be as familiar with public finances as you claim to be. Two main reasons:

1) A falling dollar right now would stimulate the American economy by making American goods cheaper abroad and foreign goods more expensive in America. Whether you're right about the dollar falling or not, you might as well shout "fire, fire!" in Noah's flood.

2) The peso crisis was primarily a balance-sheet crisis. Argentina had lots of debt in dollars, with counterbalancing liabilities in pesos. When the currency board broke down and the peso fell against the dollar, a wave of bankruptcy swept over Argentina, causing a financial panic. This can't happen in America because both America's assets and liabilities are in US dollars.

But there's good news: The people who actually put their money on the line in the futures market are really, really, really not expecting a dramatically falling dollar. So if you're as confident about your diagnosis as you pretend, get your life savings out of the bank and invest them in short positions on the dollar. If you're right, you'll be rich in a matter of years!
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:27 am
@Thomas,
3 (three) fallacies in a single post - you obviously don't follow either the EU's Greek debacle or the Chinese Central Bank reserve saga. Don't digress, please - the advice just given to Cycl applies to you a fortiori. Do you know if the Supreme Court can act by issuing an expedited ruling or not? Thanks.
Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 10:33 am
@High Seas,
I'll leave the question if it can to joefromchicago, if he wants it. I don't think the Supreme Court will issue an expedited ruling.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:33 am
@Thomas,
Depends on how one defines "expedited." The court can move its own calendar as fast as it wants -- the Bush v. Gore decision was reached in an expedited manner, but there were exigent circumstances involved in that case that mandated a swift resolution.

The supreme court, therefore, can speed up its own processes, but it has little control over how fast the lower courts operate. The supreme court has a very limited original jurisdiction, so it wouldn't be able to take a case questioning the constitutionality of the health insurance reform act on its own: it would have to let a federal district court hear the case initially. Normally, a district court decision would be appealed to the circuit court, but I believe there have been rare instances in the past where the supreme court has allowed a direct appeal from a district court, bypassing the intermediate appellate court (I'm not even sure if the current rules allow that sort of thing). In any event, it would be extremely unusual for the supreme court to intrude itself into the normal progress of a case from district court to circuit court to supreme court, even for such an important question as the constitutionality of the health insurance act. Nowadays, that process can take upwards of five years. The Heller 2d amendment case, for instance, was filed in the district court in 2003, and was decided by the supreme court in 2008. The wheels of justice grind slowly, albeit finely.