States' Rights advocates on a roll these days

High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:33 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
...The Tenth Amendment champions aren't raising a new issue of constitutional law. ....

You are mistaken, not only because long before Calhoun there was Jefferson, but more importantly because the Supreme Court has ruled in this direction in several recent cases. Of course that proposed "health care" legislation is unconstitutional - in addition to bringing the country one step closer to defaulting on the debt. To supporters of the "Conyers doctrine" (see above posts on the previous page from and to PlainOldMe) neither the constitution nor national bankruptcy mean anything so I'm not going to bother with that poster, but I thought you and Joe cared about such things:
Quote:
In Gonzales v Oregon, which concerned that state’s assisted-suicide law, the government argued that doctors who prescribe lethal doses of medication violate federal law. The Supreme Court rejected that, believing it would constitute “a radical shift of authority from states to the federal government to define general standards of medical practice in every locality.” Second, the Supreme Court has recognised a right to medical self-determination, notably finding it within the Fifth Amendment’s due-process clause. An individual mandate could violate that right by restricting choices of doctors or procedures. The last and strongest argument concerns the government’s power to require the purchase of health insurance under the commerce clause....If the Supreme Court finds in favour of any one of these three arguments, the state laws become irrelevant; the individual mandate will have been invalidated at the federal level.....

http://www.economist.com/world/united-states/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15721539&source=hptextfeature
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:16 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Thomas wrote:
...The Tenth Amendment champions aren't raising a new issue of constitutional law. ....

You are mistaken, not only because long before Calhoun there was Jefferson, but more importantly because the Supreme Court has ruled in this direction in several recent cases. Of course that proposed "health care" legislation is unconstitutional - in addition to bringing the country one step closer to defaulting on the debt. To supporters of the "Conyers doctrine" (see above posts on the previous page from and to PlainOldMe) neither the constitution nor national bankruptcy mean anything so I'm not going to bother with that poster, but I thought you and Joe cared about such things

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/theredfandango/quizzical_dog.jpg
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:31 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Calhoun there was Jefferson, but more importantly because the Supreme Court has ruled in this direction in several recent cases.

"In this direction" is conveniently broad. Please cite concrete cases in which you think the Supreme Court came close to finding a state right to nullify federal legislation.

High Seas wrote:
Of course that proposed "health care" legislation is unconstitutional

Please identify in what way it violates the constitution.

High Seas wrote:
in addition to bringing the country one step closer to defaulting on the debt.

The Congressional Budget Office, Congress's non-partisan research arm, disagrees. In its assessment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PDF here), it finds that the legislation is budget-neutral. I'll defer to it until you provide me with sources saying otherwise, and convince me that those sources are more credible than the CBO.

High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Perhaps you and Thomas failed to notice a link, posted right next to the excerpt, citing no fewer than 3 (three) major constitutional problems with the proposed bill? If so, here's the link (to the latest issue of The Economist) again:
http://www.economist.com/world/united-states/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15721539&source=hptextfeature
High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:26 pm
@Thomas,
In the interest of brevity may I refer you to link I just re-posted as a matter of courtesy to Joe - and btw for the slow readers among us (not to mention Conyers-doctrine fans) here's another excerpt:
Quote:
The last and strongest argument concerns the government’s power to require the purchase of health insurance under the commerce clause. The non-partisan Congressional Research Service found this the most challenging constitutional question related to health-care reform, as the commerce clause, the clause in the constitution that allows the federal government to regulate trade between the states, has never before been used to require that citizens buy a good or service.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

In the interest of brevity may I refer you as well to link re-posted as a courtesy to Joe - and btw for the slow readers among us (not to mention Conyers-doctrine fanatics) here's another excerpt from said link:
Quote:
The last and strongest argument concerns the government’s power to require the purchase of health insurance under the commerce clause. The non-partisan Congressional Research Service found this the most challenging constitutional question related to health-care reform, as the commerce clause, the clause in the constitution that allows the federal government to regulate trade between the states, has never before been used to require that citizens buy a good or service.

Technically this is untrue. All citizens are required to purchase Medicare insurance and Social Security insurance. In fact, it's taken right from one's paycheck by the Feds - you can't, to my knowledge, opt out of it. How is this any different?

By the way, as it looks like HC reform is going to pass now, it's delicious watching you guys retreat to your fall-back positions.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:42 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Perhaps you and Thomas failed to notice a link, posted right next to the excerpt, citing no fewer than 3 (three) major constitutional problems with the proposed bill?

Wow! No fewer than three? Well, obviously that changes everything ... NOT!

You need to read this article more carefully. When you do, you will notice that it's carefully worded to avoid any comment on the absolute strength of these constitutional claims. First, it states that "Many opponents believe it breaches the constitution itself", and that "They offer three main arguments." Then it says that the third of those arguments is the strongest among the three. At no point does the Economist align itself with the opposition, or state that any of the arguments is strong at all. And it certainly doesn't state that the alleged constitutional problems are "major".

And there's good reason for that, for even the "strongest" argument is merely a red herring. What would be the constitutional difference between Obama-Care forcing citizens to buy health insurance, Medicare forcing citizens to buy health insurance, and Social Security forcing citizens to buy what amounts to annuities? Obama-care opponents aren't identifying any. That's a major problem for them, because the Supreme Court has consistently held that the Constitution is cool with the other two. Additionally, to my knowledge, the basis for these holdings was the general welfare clause, not the commerce clause. (I'm confident Joefromchicago will correct me if I'm wrong.) So even this argument, which your own source calls the "strongest", is merely a smoke screen to confuse the issue. It isn't an argument at all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Technically this is untrue. All citizens are required to purchase Medicare insurance and Social Security insurance. In fact, it's taken right from one's paycheck by the Feds - you can't, to my knowledge, opt out of it. How is this any different?

FICA is a tax -- it's not a forced premium for insurance or payment for an annuity, and no one has a vested right in social security benefits. Likewise, Medicare is not an insurance policy -- it's a federal program that is funded by taxes, not premiums.

On the other hand, there are probably better analogies in the business sector. Insurance companies, for instance, are required to pay money into state guaranty funds that act much like business insurance policies. Banks pay into the FDIC for much the same purpose. I'm sure there are other examples where businesses are required to fund some sort of insurance scheme. It's not uncommon.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Perhaps you and Thomas failed to notice a link, posted right next to the excerpt, citing no fewer than 3 (three) major constitutional problems with the proposed bill? If so, here's the link (to the latest issue of The Economist) again:

Well, as Thomas points out, these aren't three major constitutional arguments. They're more like three minor constitutional quibbles. The fact that no federal law has ever mandated that citizens buy a good or service (which is itself a questionable assertion) does not automatically raise that objection to the status of a constitutional question. There is, after all, nothing in the constitution that says that the government can't force citizens to buy a good or service.
Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:25 am
@joefromchicago,
On top of that, American liberals could just drop the whole free-market part of their healthcare reform and enact the Medicare-for-all bill Ted Kennedy once introduced. I'm sure that would soothe any constitutional headaches conservatives might have about the reform.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:31 am
@Thomas,
That would be the best solution, and I'm sure even High Seas' constitutional objections would be satisfied.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:11 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

FICA is a tax -- it's not a forced premium for insurance or payment for an annuity, and no one has a vested right in social security benefits. Likewise, Medicare is not an insurance policy -- it's a federal program that is funded by taxes, not premiums.....

Thank you for eliminating this inane interlude by Cycl. On what you call 3 constitutional "quibbles": they may or may not be insuperable impediments for this latest Democrat power grab, even if the minor matter of Article 1 Section 7 >
[quote]..But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively.[/quote]
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec7.html
> can somehow be sidestepped by the "deem" abomination peddled by Speaker Pelosi. You have however underestimated the force of the popular upswell against Obamacare's grotesque budgetary and political power grab - see also on this thread the "Conyers-doctrine" looming catastrophe. Unlike Cycl, Thomas, PlainOldMe and suchlike echo chambers, you, Joe, understand the stakes, so I'll give you a clue:
http://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/gerrymandering-film30790.html
Quote:
Program Notes
This wake-up-call doc exposes the hidden history of our country's redistricting wars, mapping battles that take place out of public scrutiny but that shape the electoral landscape of American politics for decades at time, posing a threat not just to democrats and republicans, but democracy as a whole. Featuring stories from nine states, Gerrymandering takes a hard look at the framework of our democracy and how it provides our politicians a perfectly legal way to control electoral outcomes.

http://media.tribecafilm.com/images/GERRYMANDERING_2-Web+select.jpg

parados

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 08:51 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Quote:

..But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively.
[/b]
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec7.html
> can somehow be sidestepped by the "deem" abomination peddled by Speaker Pelosi.

Are you talking about this procedure High Seas?
Quote:
When Republicans took power in 1995, they soon lost their aversion to self-executing rules and proceeded to set new records under Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.). There were 38 and 52 self-executing rules in the 104th and 105th Congresses (1995-1998), making up 25 percent and 35 percent of all rules, respectively. Under Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) there were 40, 42 and 30 self-executing rules in the 106th, 107th and 108th Congresses (22 percent, 37 percent and 22 percent, respectively). Thus far in the 109th Congress, self-executing rules make up about 16 percent of all rules.

http://wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?topic_id=1412&fuseaction=topics.publications&doc_id=190504&group_id=180829
High Seas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:21 am
@parados,
Try and follow before posting - the "deem" procedure has NEVER before been used to raise a TAX. Read Joe's related comment to Cycl, who shared your confusion on what constitutes a TAX - not to mention the constitution itself on who has the ability to levy a TAX. That should clear it up for you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:22 am
@High Seas,
So what? Arguing over what is a 'tax' and what isn't is splitting hairs. The underlying principles remain the same.

You're grasping at straws, Helen.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@High Seas,
So.. if the bill isn't about taxes then it doesn't have a requirement of an up or down vote?

Your reference to the Constitution makes no stipulation that it only apply to tax bills.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:46 pm
I am a citizen of the USA not the state of Florida!

I second that!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:55 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Thank you for eliminating this inane interlude by Cycl. On what you call 3 constitutional "quibbles": they may or may not be insuperable impediments for this latest Democrat power grab, even if the minor matter of Article 1 Section 7 >
[quote]..But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively.
[/b]
That is a minor matter. Each house of congress is the judge of its own rules, so if the House of Representatives considers a "deem" procedure to be a vote, then it's a vote.

High Seas wrote:
> can somehow be sidestepped by the "deem" abomination peddled by Speaker Pelosi. You have however underestimated the force of the popular upswell against Obamacare's grotesque budgetary and political power grab - see also on this thread the "Conyers-doctrine" looming catastrophe. Unlike Cycl, Thomas, PlainOldMe and suchlike echo chambers, you, Joe, understand the stakes, so I'll give you a clue:
http://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/gerrymandering-film30790.html
Quote:
Program Notes
This wake-up-call doc exposes the hidden history of our country's redistricting wars, mapping battles that take place out of public scrutiny but that shape the electoral landscape of American politics for decades at time, posing a threat not just to democrats and republicans, but democracy as a whole. Featuring stories from nine states, Gerrymandering takes a hard look at the framework of our democracy and how it provides our politicians a perfectly legal way to control electoral outcomes.

[img]http://media.tribecafilm.com/images/GERRYMANDERING_2-

I have no idea why you're bringing up this issue.
parados

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
High Seas appears to have been disingenuous in quoting the constitution.

Quote:
Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

"all such cases" seems to be referring specifically to overriding a Presidential veto. There appears to be no stipulation for a recorded vote for passing bills prior to Presidential consideration.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
@parados,
There is a popular belief that, because everyone can read the constitution, everyone is therefore capable of interpreting the constitution. I do not subscribe to such lamentably Protestant notions.