Turner Prize

kev

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 03:28 pm
After the truly mind numbing trash dealt up over the years, the Turner Prize has arguably become Britains biggest joke, but they surpass themselves again this year.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031028/80/ecd9p.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,376 • Replies: 35
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:00 pm
Kev
Kev, I'd say their taste in art really sucks!

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
What are the other nominations like?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:43 am
twelve year old French boy looking through the keyhole at the "art":

Are they fighting?

Fourteen year old French boy looking at the same art:

Non, they are making love.

Sixteen year old:
Oui, and badly, too.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:28 am
Acquiunk wrote:
What are the other nominations like?

awful

the chapman's did a charming series of life size statuettes of children a couple of years back - with multiple penises growing out of their heads .....??????????????????????????????? Evil or Very Mad

the idiots that run the Turner Prize equate the shock factor with new and challenging ideas - the family group that sozobe put up some time back was so much more thought provoking and interesting and infinitely more sustaining.

This stuff is so shallow and unmemorable.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:41 am
Vivien, the Chapman idea is old...old...old. I remember an artist in Hartford Connecticut named Manning who did a series of paintings and murals on just that theme in the late 1960's early 70's. At the time he was thought to be "cutting edge" .. he's faded into obscurity, I don't even know where he is now.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
I'm not sure which London "art gallery" put on this particular piece of nonsense about twenty years ago, but it was a pile of ordinary building bricks in a heap, and this "work" not unimaginatively, had been named
"A pile of bricks"

The "artist" was paid £4000 out of taxpayers money for allowing us to pull in extra tourists from all over the globe to see this masterpiece.

As you can imagine, as a nation we were overwhelmed by the magnaminity of the man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:03 pm
So, when Mencken observed that no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public, he could have made a much broader statement, eh?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 03:20 pm
Setanta, I dearly wish that I could find this on the net, if indeed it is even on the net, but I think I can do no more than ask you to believe this story.

We have an art critic who has a voice a hundred times more "plummy" than the queen. (you can imagine what that sounds like)

On a t.v. show one night he made reference to an american who had bought a particular painting at sotheby's for a lot of money, and it was a painting that our art critic was very scathing of, and he remarked, very sarcastically, that this tells us "all we need to know,not of art but of americans.

Ayear or two later the same critic was at this art do in paris when he was shown a piece of modern art, you know the type of thing just daubings, and he went mad on it, he was spouting stuff like "Oh Iv'e never seen such intensity of expression", "such a passion for his art" that type of thing anyway he bought it for 8000 francs ( about £800)

You can imagine our delight when this toffee nosed bastard found out that it had been painted by a chimpanzee.... and as god is my witness that is true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 03:26 pm
There are few pleasures so rare and intense as seeing a pompous ass get his come-upance . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 12:01 pm
well, i'll see if i can top you. only a few years ago THE NATIONAL ART GALLERY OF CANADA (in ottawa) had a wonderful exhibit : it consisted of a rather large hunk of RAW MEAT exhibited in a glass cage ! since it was slowly rotting away, it had to be scraped every few days. eventually the piece of ART did disappear (too much scraping!). do i win a prize ? hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 12:04 pm
sorry : it was a dress ! see >>>>>>>>>>>> www.snopes.com/politics/arts/meatdress.asp
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 01:24 pm
Modern art is almost a contradiction in terms.
What happened to art that needed skill and ability on the part of the artist ?
What happened to the beauty in art ?!!???

Piles of bricks and unmade beds covered in used condoms and menstrual blood are the stuff of hollywoodesque shock films and 'C' movies.
They require no thought, inspiration, skill or ability from the "artist".
They are NOT art.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:04 pm
Heliotrope wrote:
Modern art is almost a contradiction in terms.
What happened to art that needed skill and ability on the part of the artist ?
What happened to the beauty in art ?!!???

Piles of bricks and unmade beds covered in used condoms and menstrual blood are the stuff of hollywoodesque shock films and 'C' movies.
They require no thought, inspiration, skill or ability from the "artist".
They are NOT art.

agreed +++++
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:12 pm
hamburger wrote:
sorry : it was a dress ! see >>>>>>>>>>>> www.snopes.com/politics/arts/meatdress.asp

Now that I've seen that Hamburger, it reminds me that I've seen it before I think it was probably on rotten.com the internets most tasteless site.

It would certainly do well at the turner tripe show.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:19 pm
Is art a beautiful composition by a skilled person, or is art something that moves your heart?

(Granted, the meat dress is neither of the above FOR ME, but I ain't everybody.)

What's the difference between craftsmanship and art?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:20 pm
I like take on the contemporary art scam by a New York writer of satirical humor, whose name i cannot at the moment recall. She wrote that two performance artists in a city the size of New York is one too many.

There is such an atmosphere of unreality in the world of the art gallery these days. When i still lived in the city of Columbus, Ohio, i frequently went to a favorite coffee shop on the first Saturday of each month, which was "gallery hop night." I could sit there for hours, just goofing on the suckers who drove in from the suburbs to waste their money on crap thrown together for the purpose by the local artists. I knew too many of the local artists to be fooled on that account--many of them considered these people as sheep to fleeced in order to finance their "real" career, and they were very candid about producing crap to sell to the rubes.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:12 pm
Seattle has First Thursday down in Pioneer Square, when all the galleries and some of the artists' lofts are open to the public. Same sort of thing, but here the "real" artists complain about "street" artists who produce that kind of stuff and haul it into the neighborhood to sell on the sidewalks...

p.s. What college I have, I got from CCAD -- Columbus College of Art and Design. I didn't finish, but their alumni organization (read: donation hunters) has kept better track of me through the years than any of my friends!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:05 pm
I used to live on Oak Street, east of the Metropolitan library, and was surrounded by old Victorian houses which had been broken up for student apartments. About 99% CCAD people--not a good place to get a decent night's sleep for a workin' man like me, but lots of interesting folk.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:31 pm
I know what you mean. I was there in 1970; we had a great time...

(one adventure was going up to Kent State U. to protest... no, not that day, the weekend before)
0 Replies