How can I find out information about a public school?

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:25 am
We are hoping to buy a new home, but want to consider the potential public high school. My children currently attend a small private school that they and we love and that is affordable. However, this school only goes until grade 8. I’ve looked at some private high schools, but the costs are significantly higher. We are not sure we could afford them without making drastic changes (which we would rather not).

I’ve done a little digging, but unfortunately, the internet almost gives waaay too much information and sometimes conflicting information. I honestly would not know which website to trust " some give parents comments and ratings, but with only a couple of individuals responding, could they just be disgruntle or even the opposite some teacher writing pretending to be a parent.

So what and where should I look for this information? There was one neighborhood in a town we were considering, but I read that last year that had a potential not be accredited, but this did not happen. Not sure why " it had something to do with funding (what doesn’t) " but the high school on the surface has a very low teacher/student ratio and a high graduation rate with activities that fall into my kids’ interest. Should this be a red flag?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:48 am
@Linkat,
I used greatschools.org.
boomerang

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:56 am
@Linkat,
Why don't you crash a PTA meeting?

That's what I'm going to try to do if I ever move again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:57 am
@Linkat,
Go to the MASS Department of Education and in this link you put in the
school and town and will give you all the necessary information incl. performance levels for math and english.

http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:31 am
@Ticomaya,
I've used that - and it is confusing. The overall rating may be low a 5 or 6 (out of 10), but parents are rating it high. The ratings are based strictly on test scores which only gives a small picture.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:51 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks this gives lots of information - the high school we are looking seems to be doing well than some others in the area (other than the more expensive towns that I am not sure we can afford). This is a start.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:47 pm
I've been through school searches several times. Initially, I used records from the League of Women Voters as well as from the Massachusetts website. I selected only those systems within the top 10 of the state which worked out well geographically for us. Of course, at that time, house prices were not what they are today!

A friend remained in Springfield, MA with her kids because her philosophy is "the cream rises to the top." I was not willing to take such a risk.

You can speak directly with superintendents and principals as well. I completely exed Concord, MA from my list because of the unco-operative attitude of their administration. I am a bit sorry in retrospect but that is in retrospect.

Check out the math and science. Those were top priorities for me.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@plainoldme,
It is quite confusing - it depends on the list - one school is considered high on one list and on another it is significantly lower. The ones at the very top, it is unlikely I could afford to purchase a home there.
0 Replies