Do you ever itch to correct a misspelling in a thread title?

Mame

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:39 am
Einstein supposedly couldn't spell yet he was a genius. This isn't about anybody being 'stupid' or 'careless' or whathaveyou - really, it was about what bugged me. I just want to correct it!! It is my flaw, not anyone else's.

And yes, it's worse when it's in the thread title because it seems to be there forever Smile So, I solved the problem by thumbing it down Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 05:54 am
I try to be cautious in my spelling, but as I grow older, mistakes pop up with increasing frequency. Words I could spell in grade school get me stymied. And, yet, I confess, some errors do jar my sensibility. Guess which mistake's bother me most?
dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
@edgarblythe,
The misplaced apostrophes?
dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
@JPB,
Fair enough!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:31 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Grammar?
I get tightness in my chest when I hear that word. It throws me back to being a little girl disecting or whatever they call it, those sentences Sister Miriam Fidelis wrote up on the blackboard.

If you were to ask me right now what a preposition is, I couldn't give you the definition. If you told me, I'd say "oh yeah, that's right.", and forget within the week.

Like Sister Miriam Fidelis, none of those who whine about this sort of thing know either, Chai. They are just reliving their teachers'/mom's/dad's/ grammar maven's admonitions. Why this is so common a thing for language and "grammar", I don't think that I'll ever understand.

In all likelihood, Sister MF didn't know her grammar from her habit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you unconsciously know your grammar millions of times better than the sum total of the sum total of all the peevers on the peeves threads.

And what good is conscious knowledge of grammar? Other than as a field of study or to straighten out the peevers, not much. It doesn't help you be a better speaker or writer.

Let the tightness in your chest go. Can you explain the physiology of respiration? the mechanics of physical motion? Not a snowball's chance in hell yet you've done these things just fine for a good number of years, have you not?.

You know the grammar of English.

Much of the old grammar terminology is changing, so even those that "know" don't really know.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
One of my worst nightmares is when I go through all of this, and then find that someone has already answered my thread, and I am no longer able to edit.

I don't believe that someone else posting is the test, Phoenix. I've edited even with another post below. I think it's a timed event.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Words I could spell in grade school get me stymied.

Funny you should say that. Happens to me in every once in a long while, too. Wink
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:26 pm
I know it's mean, but after reading all of this, I want to start posting threads with misspelled thread topics.

I'm a bad person. I am sorry.
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
@Seed,
Like this?

http://able2know.org/topic/142733-1
JTT

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:20 pm
@Seed,
One with a signature line like yours should think twice about that, Seed. Is it borrowed from Richard Lederer?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:21 pm
@dlowan,
Yep.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:25 pm
@chai2,
Perhaps!

JTT:
Couldn't tell you who wrote it. Just saw it and liked it, so I kept it.
JTT

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:39 pm
@Seed,
I believe but I'm not positive that it's from Lederer.

Anyway, it's just plain dumb.

I'd dump it if I were you.
Mame

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:40 pm
@JTT,
down dark 'allies'? lol
Seed

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
@JTT,
I didn't post it as a sig line because of who wrote it. I posted it because it was something I felt was funny. I could care less about who wrote it and what other people think of it.

If I went around doing things the way people wanted me to do them all the time, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the person I am today.
JTT

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
If I went around doing things the way people wanted me to do them all the time, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the person I am today.

That's good to know, Seed, that you thought it funny, not serious.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@Mame,
It's a spoonerism: Dawn dork allies..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:28 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

I didn't post it as a sig line because of who wrote it. I posted it because it was something I felt was funny. I could care less about who wrote it and what other people think of it.

I love it.

Except for the mis......nemmind.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:19 pm
Actually, as most people type rather quickly and dictate to themselves, often, homophones are typed rather than the desired word. People often spell words as they hear them (please! not in the fashion of OmsigDavid!) and sometimes we hear them incorrectly. Vowels sound alike and some letters are easily omitted. All that is to say that I am more tolerant of misspellings than I had been in the past.
0 Replies