Do you ever itch to correct a misspelling in a thread title?

Mame

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:12 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

.It does disturb me however to see things like this thread where the perfect people express just how disturbing folks like you and I are. I recently saw two "friends" on facebook having a similar discussion. One of them expressed gratitude to the other for agreeing with her. Then referred to us as "stupid people!!!" Actually, I think she may have capitalized both words. Dunno, didn't stick around very long.

So, Thomas, you and I are judged as stupid people.

Right...

I hope you don't think I was calling anyone stupid, because I wasn't. My comments had nothing to do with anyone in particular - it was simply that I want to correct it every time I see it. The obsession with it bugs me.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:15 am
@chai2,
yeah - you wrote 'disecting' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

(and it ruined that whole post- I had no idea what you really meant) Laughing Laughing Laughing

(just kidding - the only reason I even noticed is because I'm a teacher and people expect me to be able to teach spelling - so I have to pretend that I care).

Actually - I love the creativity that I see in the differences in spelling and grammar. I'm just EXPECTED to be able to notice those - and judge them to be wrong or right.

what a grind we insist on putting each other into sometimes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:27 am
Whose insisting on any grind though?

Seriously this is turning into one of those "I censure you for censuring because censuring is bad and I would never do it" threads...
aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:29 am
@sozobe,
I thought I was just having fun but you turn it into whatever you want to.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:30 am
@aidan,
Laughing but that's what i...

Oh never mind.

Laughing
aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:31 am
@sozobe,
yeah - I agree.
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:45 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

yeah - I agree.

As do me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:06 am
I like typos in other people - makes me less self conscious of my English.
Imperfection can be quite endearing and yes, farmerman is a great example here!
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:09 am
@CalamityJane,
Love farmerman's voice! That doesn't bother me at all.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:10 am
For Mame, Francis, and Sozobe, it is merely the aesthetics. They are not judging anybody. I compulsively correct all of my typos. It is also an aesthetic thing for me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:17 am
Has anyone mentioned that Occom Bill is stuck with a strange username because of a spelling error? I met him at a gathering and he told me he was trying to use the name of his favorite philosopher (William of Ockham).

(personally, I would be willing to pay Robert Gentel to have that changed)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:31 am
Oh, it drives me bonkers, more so when it is in the title than the text of the thread.

Personally, I am the queen of the "typos". After I write a thread, I look it over. If I find an error I scramble as fast as my fingers will allow me, to corect the offending word. One of my worst nightmares is when I go through all of this, and then find that someone has already answered my thread, and I am no longer able to edit. Crying or Very sad
mm25075

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:43 am
*raises right hand*

I hearby give the mods the ability (and generous thanks) to correct any misspelling I may inadvertantly create in a thread title.

Misspealls drive me bonkers...must correct........
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:18 pm
@Thomas,
That's nothing. I usually find 3 sentences that I didn't even bother to finish and I usually can't figure out where I was going with it either.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:39 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
corect
you did that on purpose, right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 01:26 pm
@Phoenix32890,
My problem is that I create so many typos with my left hand (mostly) that Id spend all day correcting em. It used to be, before I went wireless, my computer would time out whenever I was correcting something . I just never relearned the "time out doesnt pertain anymore" and always write like a mental patient. I type really fast and thats part of my problem.

If everybody olnly knows one way to spell, how sad. I love to rag on Dave's attempts at phonetic spelling but when hes really pushede, he can spell like any english teacher.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

People who sit in judgment of others seldom think, or admit, that's what they're doing. The ones feeling judged seldom let the ones sitting in judgment know that their expression of superiority comes off as arrogant.

Everyone has things that drive them bonkers. Not everyone feels the need to express them publicly.

Says she sitting in judgment.

Who said anything about judging or thinking people stupid, bythe way?

People have simply said that they find spelling errors maddening (in my case, especially when I do them myself, in typos). NOBODY has said that they are blaming the person for the typo or the spelling.

For me it's like an open cupboard door, or picture askew, sort of thing.

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:18 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Laughing but that's what i...

Oh never mind.

Laughing

It's an infinite regress hon.

Wink

And it's assuming people were judging the poster, as opposed to being irked by the result.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:30 pm
@dlowan,
I almost added that caveat as I made the post - that by posting it I was doing the same thing.

I look at this in a broader sense than this thread. There are many instances here - at A2k, not this thread - where typos and grammatical errors have been used to call (or infer) that the poster is lazy, moronic, stupid, and idiot (or idjit), etc. The "stupid people" example I used was from Facebook, as I said. The fact that it happened to be a couple of facebook friends from A2K was consistent with bringing it here as an example.

To separate the peeve from the peever is the basis of the beginning of my statement. Most folks who are expressing their peeves seldom think (or admit) that they are sitting in judgment (which, btw, my fingers insist is spelled "judgement" every time I type it). Those who are the source of those peeves can and do feel judged.

I've posted on grammar (or, in this case, spelling) nazi threads before. My biggest peeve is folks who feel compelled to publicly state their biggest peeve. I only ever make that statement on peeve threads. Just joining in on the fun.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:01 pm
@JPB,
I've overruled spelling it 'judgment', and use 'judgement'. I think a few well regarded magazines or newspapers (I forget which) also add the 'e', thus supporting my rebellion. I was thrown when I used both judgmentalism and judgement recently in the same sentence or at least the same paragraph and left them there on purpose, in happy self-contradiction.

On the issues, I like good spelling and grammar, especially in the books I read. I don't insist on it in a discussion forum from myself or others - I think that would add tension for a lot of posters, including me.

I particularly sympathize with Thomas' post way back there (I first typed their) when he listed his posting flaws - that I've never noticed him making. And I thank him for the phrase 'phonetic typos'. I've complained about my own before. I've known the difference between hear and here for many decades but my fingers don't.
0 Replies