Do you ever itch to correct a misspelling in a thread title?

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:09 pm
ahem,

On the other side of the fence, it's kinda stifling to think that your communications are being so heavily scrutinized.

This reminds me of the thread where the order of the letters were mixed up. Some people had a hard time reading it, others didn't.

Me, it didn't phase me for second.

I'm sure I don't even notice most people spelling errors, since I'm looking at the entire word or phrase.

I have to admit, I don't like thinking the spelling police are monitoring me, and wonder why it's so important to some people.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:17 pm
@chai2,
I'm not greatly bothered by misspelling, even if it is mine, on posts. Usually.
I do itch to correct other people's title spelling. When I mess up my thread titles, cringe rises to new horrible heights.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:23 pm
@Mame,
Oh yeah!

And throughout the entire post, but I bite my fingers.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:36 pm
@chai2,
Dickhead! You do it on purpose, don't you? I know you do! You're evil.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 01:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Jest leave it be, Robert. How can you respect someone that only knows one way to spell a word?

Laughing Laughing Great line, but...............

Mis-spelling drives me mad! (and we still have to cope with the standard Murrican mis-spelling - 'cause they don't know any better!) Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 01:55 am
@Mame,
Just the title?

I often keep correcting my posts until A2K won't let me anymore. And then I come back the next day and notice there are still super-embarrassing typos in the post. Not to mention sentences with no verb or doubled verbs, phonetic typos ("their" vs "there"), posts that abruptly end before the sentence is
Francis

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:26 am
@chai2,
To me, it's not a matter of spelling police..

It's like aesthetics. A mispelling, especially an obvious one, is like a pimple on the Venus de Milo's face. Quite ungraceful...
dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:40 am
@Francis,
I agree.

It's very jarring. And you have to see it again and again! I saw it on an actual product wrapping the other day and quite a gourmet product at that. Grrrrrrr.....

To some, but clearly not to others. This is life.
fobvius

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:56 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
actual product wrapping

Ajar?
dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:03 am
@fobvius,
A box.

Welcome Fobvius.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:52 am
@Francis,
People who sit in judgment of others seldom think, or admit, that's what they're doing. The ones feeling judged seldom let the ones sitting in judgment know that their expression of superiority comes off as arrogant.

Everyone has things that drive them bonkers. Not everyone feels the need to express them publicly.
aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:14 am
No - but I think that's because I work with people who have difficulty spelling, so my automatic response is to read it as the word I know they meant and to forget about it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:19 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Just the title?

I often keep correcting my posts until A2K won't let me anymore. And then I come back the next day and notice there are still super-embarrassing typos in the post. Not to mention sentences with no verb or doubled verbs, phonetic typos ("their" vs "there"), posts that abruptly end before the sentence is

Me too. I've learned to live with it. The neurologist I met with last week for another reason confirmed that it's probably a result of a TIA I had a number of years ago. The mri shows a small scar on my brain near the language center. Oh, well. I guess I just have to deal with the fact that I'm a zit on the face of a not-perfect A2K. I can live with that too.

It does disturb me however to see things like this thread where the perfect people express just how disturbing folks like you and I are. I recently saw two "friends" on facebook having a similar discussion. One of them expressed gratitude to the other for agreeing with her. Then referred to us as "stupid people!!!" Actually, I think she may have capitalized both words. Dunno, didn't stick around very long.

So, Thomas, you and I are judged as stupid people.

Right...
jespah

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Yes! And the very worst part is that I can and have to stop myself from such abuse of powers! But that thread just sits there mocking me and daring me to do something about it.

This takes every bit of restraint I can muster.

Yep, I can relate.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:31 am
@JPB,
Quote:

Not by me (if that offers any consolation - depending on what sort of person you yourself judge me to be).
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:33 am
I don't consider it stupidity! I do consider my annoyance to be my own weakness, which is why I don't say anything about it (most of the time).

I'm one of those people who must straighten a picture if it's hanging askew on the wall, too -- it's a symmetry thing.

I consider typos (and I know Brandon's for example was a typo, typos are very different from stupidity, and yes I make 'em all the time and catch them sometimes but not always) to be in the same category, and when I see them I get the same urge to fix (even though I know the urge would likely not be appreciated, so I do my best to squelch it).

Probably doesn't help that I'm an editor! Certain things get hardwired and are hard to turn off. (I see mistakes in the New York Times every single day... grr...)
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:37 am
@sozobe,
(ha have to note my edit just now -- had "straighten a picture of it's hanging askew," just noticed, hurriedly edited.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:02 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

To me, it's not a matter of spelling police..

It's like aesthetics. A mispelling, especially an obvious one, is like a pimple on the Venus de Milo's face. Quite ungraceful...

Most of my posts are hardly in the league of the Venus.

They're more like a black velvet painting of 4 dogs playing a round of Texas Hold'em.

In real life, when I have something important/formal to write, like for business, or sympathies, happy birthdays, etc. I make sure everything's in order.

Here, I feel like I can let my hair down, and not stress over a misplaced letter or three.
I've had errors pointed out to me (in a joking way), that when I go back and look, I still don't see immediately where the mistake is.
Then, I'll think "Am I making mistakes I don't even know about, and driving somepeople crazy?"

Apparantly so.

Then, I realize it's their issue, not mine.
I don't mean that in a snotty, arrogant way, as JBP has implied. I truly mean it in that I'm totally not going to loose my peace of mind over a misspelled word, or the idea that some others go nuts over it.
It's small potatoes.

Not to pick out one particular person, but I just love reading farmerman's posts.
I love his spelling errors
I love the fact he makes them (at least sometimes) because he's missing half his fingers or something, and just carries on giving his ideas freely.

Grammar?
I get tightness in my chest when I hear that word. It throws me back to being a little girl disecting or whatever they call it, those sentences Sister Miriam Fidelis wrote up on the blackboard.

If you were to ask me right now what a preposition is, I couldn't give you the definition. If you told me, I'd say "oh yeah, that's right.", and forget within the week.

Gross spelling errors, like some text happy teens do, or just plain not knowing the spelling of words like "house", are annoying.
However, if I see someone is on a roll with a great post, or chooses to spell phonetically, or English is not their primary language, I just pay no attention.

I'm really not trying to be on a soap box over this.
Like has been said, everyone's got stuff that bugs them.
When my stuff bugs me, to the point of lessening the pleasure I take in something, I have to ask myself "what difference does it makes in the cosmic wheel of life?"
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:03 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Not by me (if that offers any consolation - depending on what sort of person you yourself judge me to be).

Nor me.
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:06 am
@chai2,
HAHAHAHAHA!!

I just realized what I wrote, and I didn't correct it!