What have I done? Task bar MIA...

Wy

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:31 am
I feel stupid. I'm usually pretty good with computers, but I've managed to change something about my monitor's screen so that the task bar (Start button, etc.) is off the screen to the bottom. I can use the Windows button on my keyboard, but I can't get the bar back... the adjustment buttons on my monitor don't work (they used to, but quit recently). Anybody got suggestions?

(Windows XP, Sony monitor, 800x600 pixel setting... need more?)
TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:34 am
Hover over the bottom edge of the screen and see if the cursor changes to a double sided arrow. If so, drag the task bar back up and then lock it (explanation coming).

If not, eight click around the bottom till you see the option to "Lock the taskbar". Make sure this is unchecked so that you can alter the taskbar.

A "locked" task bar means it's size and position etc can't be changed. So once it's bacj in place lock it so that it doesn;t happen again.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:42 am
what have I done
Taksbars can and, as you have found, do disappear from time to time, and you may well never know what caused it. Rolling Eyes But I have found that a disappearing taskbar can frequently be located on some other edge of the screen.

Try hovering over all four sides of the screen; you may find that it has moved its little fat self to the top or to one of the sides. Then follow Craven's advice.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:50 am
Like Tom says, you can move the task bar to any of the four sides. It is someone easy to see, however. Look for the not-thin-not-thick grey line running along the side, and that's where your taskbar went too. This is also the line you want to hover over to make it bigger.

To move it, you need to grab it where the programs are listed. Find an empty spot, and left click and hold it. Then drag it to the side you want the taskbar to be on. It can be a pain if you have too many programs open at once, but it can be done.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:41 pm
Thanks, all. I'm familiar with the kind of "lost" taskbar y'all are talking about -- my then 6-yr old taught me how to disappear and retrieve it when we first got Win95! Smile

It's definitely at the bottom, but not even a little gray line shows. If I fish around down there, I can sometimes click on the Start button; it seems to be about an inch below the edge of the monitor. I've been using the Windows button on my keyboard, and keyboard shortcuts to work with my open programs. I'm a mouser, so it's a pain in the neck!

It's as if my screen is 12" deep, but the monitor only shows the top 10"...

I think it has something to do with screen geometry, but like I said, the buttons don't work to change that. I'm tempted to borrow a monitor (wot a hassle!) and see if that helps...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 03:12 pm
Ahh, it may well be the monitor displaying way off the viewable area.

Have you tried changing your resolution BTW? I bet it's a setting on the monitor that needs changing but changing the resolution might bring the taskbar into the viewable area.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:10 pm
good idea. I'll try that...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:21 pm
Click the "view" option at the top of the screen and see if it has become hidden, somehow. I've found any number of toolbars from Excel that way. Also, right click in any empty space where the bar should be. You might get a clue there. Or right click anywhere on the desktop. Not sure just what is going to work, but something will.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 06:58 pm
"view" option? it's my Windows desktop I'm having trouble with...

changing the resolution doesn't help either... I'm gonna ask my friend to schlep a properly-working monitor over here. Mine's an OK Sony, but it's almost five years old and it was a floor model... it won't break my heart if I need a new one. (might break my piggybank tho -- I went to a computer/technology show today and saw some great new stuff! Smile )
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:16 pm
You can get a 17" monitor at wal-mart fairly cheaply. A 15" would be even cheaper. Even the 17" LCDs are coming down in price nicely. Sigh. . .with the 19" would come down. . . I don't want to pay 700 for a flat screen.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 02:09 am
I know what you mean. I'm not sure my household is ready for an LCD screen... (teenage kid)... maybe I can talk said friend out of his monitor I intend to borry -- it's one he's not using right now.
0 Replies