Floating Realignment for Baseball??

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:19 am

did a double-take when i saw this yesterday...
Quote:
When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

The concept gained strong support among committee members, many of whom believe there are non-economic avenues that should be explored to improve competitive balance, similar to the NFL's former use of scheduling to help parity (in which weaker teams were awarded a weaker schedule the next season).

As with most issues of competitive balance, floating realignment involves finding a work-around to the Boston-New York axis of power in the AL East. In the 15 seasons during which the wild-card system has been in use, the Red Sox and Yankees have accounted for 38 percent of all AL postseason berths. The league has never conducted playoffs without the Red Sox or Yankees since that format began -- and in eight of those 15 years both teams made the playoffs. Since 2003 the Sox and Yankees have won at least 95 games 11 times in 14 combined seasons.

One example of floating realignment, according to one insider, would work this way: Cleveland, which is rebuilding with a reduced payroll, could opt to leave the AL Central to play in the AL East. The Indians would benefit from an unbalanced schedule that would give them a total of 18 lucrative home dates against the Yankees and Red Sox instead of their current eight. A small or mid-market contender, such as Tampa Bay or Baltimore, could move to the AL Central to get a better crack at postseason play instead of continually fighting against the mega-payrolls of New York and Boston.

Divisions still would loosely follow geographic lines; no team would join a division more than two time zones outside its own, largely to protect local television rights (i.e., start times of games) and travel costs.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/03/09/floating-realignment/index.html?eref=sihp

are they on crack?
do they honestly think there's any possible way they could make this work??

i'm friggin' flabbergasted...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,145 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 08:16 am
@Region Philbis,
I'll reply, reg, as soon as my eyeballs stop spinning around in my head. How could this possibly work? What about decade old rivalries. What about regionalism? What about tradition? Will such changes matter for the better teams?

Okay, my eyeballs stopped spinning around in my head. I think the idea sucks.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Given that it is an obviously bad idea, I have no doubts that major league baseball will adopt it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:37 pm

i think all they'd have to do is toss out the unbalanced schedule, so every AL team plays every other AL team an equal (or more equal than presently constituted) number of times...
0 Replies