Favorite Beatles Song

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:09 am
I'm reading a lot of "hoo haw" here.
Any professional musician will tell you that Ringo was the grounding factor.Here's an article that explains
Quote:
(12) The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are also false.

In fact, he played on every released Beatles recording (not including Anthology 1) that include drums except for the following: “Back In The USSR” and “Dear Prudence”, on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band, “The Ballad of John and Yoko”, again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of “Love Me Do” featuring session drummer Andy White.

http://medisinmusicforthemasses.wordpress.com/historically-influential-drummers/
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
mr bennington has been known to take the piss a time or two Wink
Rockhead

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:20 pm
@djjd62,
I think what makes the beatles songs different is the lyrics.

and that's why my favorite changes with my moods. many of them are similar musically, but they all say something different.

let it be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEogJacjLTE&feature=related
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 12:45 pm
I'm so Tired is my anthem some days because of how perfectly it captures the seeming insanity of multiple-week insomnia.

Quote:
You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
for a little peace of mind
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
and we hit the white album...

everybody's got something to hide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coL8yMawagk&feature=related
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:18 pm
The White Album has always been my favorite because of the sometimes overlooked two-minute gems buried in there, including the abovementioned, to which I add George's "Long, Long, Long."
Gargamel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:19 pm
Also, I had almost completed a giant manfiesto defending Ringo when I accidentally right-clicked and lost it to the ether. Motherfuck.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:22 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

The White Album has always been my favorite because of the sometimes overlooked two-minute gems buried in there, including the abovementioned, to which I add George's "Long, Long, Long."

I love that song. It's very underrated.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:43 pm
I have 79 Beatles songs on my hard drive {80 if I count the Medley, and I'm guessing maybe 35 or so or their solo works}....Rocky Racoon is my top choice out of those...which was written by Paul.

One of my favorite songs as a small boy was El Paso by Marty Robbins, and Rocky Racoon is pretty much a pop version of that song, maybe that's why I like it so much. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, is another that I like quite a bit.

Scanning the list...Come Together....Get Back...are two others that I like a lot.

Revolution #9 is a was a waste of good vinyl...I'm sure that a healthy dose of lysergic acid diethylamide is needed to really get that one.

My sister, who was born in 77, loves Yellow Submarine.

Ringo was a damn fine drummer!!!
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
Ringo was a damn fine drummer!!!

Absolutely!!!
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I went back and counted....I have 59 singles...of the boys solo work, more than I thought.

I only mention the amount because I often seem to put the Beatles down, and I just want to make it clear that I do like them overall....even though I don't really care for Love Me Do....it does not make me vomit.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Get me a reference for the idea that Paul used to re-record Ringo's work.
I have searched and can not find one. As near as I can remember, it was a documentary made many years ago, just soon after they broke up. Witnessess to the break up were asked lots of questions, and one said the drum work was all Paul's and Ringo used to sit there and pretend he didnt notice the difference.

Now if that was true, there are considerable legal implications, the return of royalties for one. Ringo sueing Paul for another. Paul always liked Ringo, and his wealth could undoubtedly have hushed it up. I remember Ringo was always getting bad reviews at live concerts. No doubt you are aware George said Ringo wasnt even the best drummer in the beatles let alone the world. I am not alone in thinking Ringo is a bad drummer, and it is pointless to say listen to the recordings because that may very well be Paul.

Why did they start legal action to prevent the early songs being released ? Perhaps because Ringo was the real drummer. Whatever, I have no more time to spend on it. I am certain of my memory of these events when I witnessed them and I can not provide a source. This simply means a lack of proof, not a lack of truth.
aidan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
@Ionus,
Whatever sort of drummer he was or wasn't - I think I like Ringo's vocal on , 'It Don't Come Easy' better than I like George's. They're both good, but I just like the slightly lower tone of Ringo's vocal.

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:43 pm
@aidan,
Me too ! I find his voice, though its range is limited to specific songs, to be better suited for that song. I think his voice helps balance the song from the high pitched guitar work.

I quite like Ringo as a man, I remember seeing an interview with him about doing the Thomas the Tank Engine narrator - they tried to suggest that he had upset 'rockers' by doing something for kids and had betrayed his fans. He stayed calm and reasonable and basically asked them to prove kids werent worth his concern. They said you are only doing it for money because you are the poorest Beatle but again he defended himself well so one came away with the impression that the interviewer was a complete jerk. It was a rather articulate and insightful interview.

He only recently (a year ago?) stopped answering his fan mail !! After asking the public not to write in any more, of course ! As a person he was well liked by almost everyone. He is reported as always cheerful and funny and his lack of abrasive qualities helped hold the beatles together.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:08 pm
Back in the USSR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHD5nd3QLTg

I like this song because it describes the feeling of coming home and feeling relief.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:21 pm
I was thinking about how well the Beatles songs sound when they're covered. Rufus Wainright nails this one;one of my faves

and...

Dylan's kid

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:21 pm
Twist and Shout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrOMB-iBLk

I like the vocals and must have burnt a million calories dancing to this song alone. The clip is from Ferris Beulers Day Off, one my favourite song clips...I liked the movie too.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:32 pm
@panzade,
Have you ever heard the Beatles mixed for orchestra ? I was genuinely stunned at how awesome their songs are in the medium of Beethoven and Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiuRfywMUdk
panzade

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:41 pm
@Ionus,
that's nice...lends itself well...not overly syrupy

Speaking of Ringo singing and strings...this one's lovely

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 08:54 pm
@panzade,
Now that is relaxing...for some strange reason i typed
quiopwtryaiuxhixugn8ygxy8ewH<_(HWoijhieuh9 28u c `tf12`2
with my forehead. That is really relaxing and a very pleasant mix of voice and instrument.
0 Replies