The Sergeant or The Piper, who do you prefer?

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2023 07:35 am
This is a bit of an old chestnut, and has been covered elsewhere, but I don't think here.

Two albums came out in the same year, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd.

At the time Sergeant Pepper got all the plaudits, but over time opinion has become divided.

What album to you prefer, think has more merit?

Personally I have to go with the Piper. I appreciate that Sergeant Pepper is a groundbreaking album, but I don't really listen to it any more.

My favourite Beatles album is Revolver anyway.

I still listen to Piper at the Gates Of Dawn, quite a lot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 327 • Replies: 10

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2023 03:04 pm
@izzythepush,

(still trying to process why you didn't use "The PepperĀ or The Piper" as the title of the thread...)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2023 03:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
It didn't come to me, shocking lack of imagination.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 May, 2023 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
I don't really know that Piper album per se. But off hand, I prefer Pink Floyd over The Beatles so that unknown (with possibly known songs) gets my vote.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 05:56 am
@tsarstepan,
The Piper. Pepper as a whole hasn't aged well.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I would have said you'd opt for the sergeant, shows how much I know.

The Piper full album is available on youtube.

Early Pink Floyd was more Syd Barret lead, while the later stuff, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here etc are all Roger Waters.

Wish you were here is about Syd Barrett who at the time had walked out of a recording session and disappeared.

It turns out he was sleeping on a relative's floor in a flat in Loughborough.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:20 am
John Lennon famously slagged off jazz, saying it was men in beards sat around talking, or something like.

You can't say that about Floyd, despite Piper being a very psychedelic album the jazz influence is apparent.

The piano on Pow R. Toc. H could have come from an Art Blakey set.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:39 am
@izzythepush,

listening to Piper.

i owned it at one time, but honestly don't remember most of the tracks.

for early Floyd, i prefer Relics...

hightor

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:40 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:44 am
@Region Philbis,
Relics was one of those records that was released on a discount label.

These were sold in lots of places, places that didn't sell records, and I think a lot of record shops wouldn't stock them.

By and large they were cheap rubbish, some band you'd never heard of singing Beatles songs in the style of Glen Miller or something like that.

They were a lot cheaper than standard records because of that, but for some weird reason a few good bands had one of their records on that label, and Relics was one of them.

It meant Relics was about a quarter of the price of every other Pink Floyd album.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
I love the Beatles, but I always thought Pepper and at least half of the White Album and one side of Abbey Road was a bit trite. I mean, Careful with That Axe Eugene vs Rocky Raccoon, Astronomy Domine vs Martha My Love?

I am a major Floyd fan, even if I also love Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today, Meet the Beatles, Beatles '65, one half of Abbey Road, Revolver, Meet the Beatles, Beatles for Sale, Let It Be, Hard Day's Night, Help!. Floyd's Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets, Umma Gooma, Obscured by Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here, Lapse of Reason, Dark Side, Division Bell all stand up to the Beatles easily. I own at least 80% of that list on vinyl, and all of it on MP3.

Beatles are my sentimental favorites and Floyd is what I listen to at night.

0 Replies