The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, and...?

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:15 am
The book recommendation thread was so useful (thanks everyone!), I'm doing the same thing for a music thread.

Sozlet (8) really likes music but has pretty specific tastes and her taste isn't that close to mine, (some overlap but different emphases) PLUS I don't know much about music post-1989 or so, so I have a hard time coming up with suggestions for her.

She likes melodies and harmony but also some complication/ sophistication. She doesn't like most kid's music. (She doesn't necessarily DISLIKE it, she tolerates it, but it's not what she seeks out or listens to repeatedly.) Lyrics are really important to her, both in terms of stories and wordplay. In addition to the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle (who she just discovered and adores -- she's been playing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" over and over), she likes Johnny Cash, Woody Guthrie and Merle Haggard. (??)

The Beatles are still her all-time favorite although Simon and Garfunkle are muscling in a bit.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
Off the top of my head, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Fleetwood Mac.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:24 am
@eoe,
America.
aidan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is a really upbeat, infectious album that I listened to in the car with the kids who loved it when they were little and still do - amazing instrumentation and perfect to sing along and harmonize with.
No obviously adult themes or questionable language - perfect for an eight year old, especially one who has an ear for Johnny Cash and country.
Quote:
Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Will The Circle Be Unbroken Vol. II)
Jump to: navigation, search
Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two
Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two cover
Studio album by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Released May 1, 1989 (1989-05-01)
Recorded 1989
Scruggs Studio
Nashville, Tennessee
Genre Country
Neotraditional country
Folk
Pop
Length 62:19
Label MCA
Producer Randy Scruggs and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Professional reviews

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band chronology
Workin' Band
(1988) Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two
(1989) The Rest of the Dream
(1991)

Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two (also Circle II) is a 1989 album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. The album follows the same concept as the band's 1972 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, which featured guest performances from many notable country music stars.

Circle II features largely acoustic, bluegrass music instrumentation with a line-up of contemporary country music artists that includes Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, John Denver, Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs. Returnees from the first Circle are bluegrass musician Jimmy Martin, banjoist Earl Scruggs, fiddler Vassar Clements and singer Roy Acuff.

Other artists represent the rock, folk and pop genres, including Levon Helm from The Band, John Prine, John Hiatt and Bruce Hornsby.

Among the tracks is the Bob Dylan composition, "You Ain't Goin Nowhere", sung as a duet by former members of The Byrds, Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman, their first reunion in many years.

The roster of session musicians for the album included many notable performers, including fiddler Mark O'Connor, resonator guitarist Jerry Douglas, banjoist Béla Fleck, guitarist Chet Atkins and bassist Roy Huskey, Jr., son of bassist Junior Huskey, who had played on the first Circle.[1]

Like the first Circle, the album features snippets of studio chatter. In the lead-in to John Denver's song, "And So It Goes", someone asks, "Is this practice?" Denver replies: "They're all practice."

In an intro to the song "Riding Alone", Emmylou Harris summed up her thoughts about relaxed atmosphere of the recording sessions, saying: "Years ago I had the experience of sitting around in a living room with a bunch of people and singing and playing, and it was like a spiritual experience, it was wonderful. And I decided then that was what I was going to do with my life was play music, do music. In the making of records, I think over the years we've all gotten a little too technical, a little too hung up on getting things perfect. We've lost the living room. The living room has gone out of the music, but today I feel like we got it back."

[edit] Reception

Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two was certified gold in the United States and Canada. The album peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard Top Country Album chart and at 95 on the Billboard 200. Singles from the album included John Denver's "And So It Goes", "Turn of the Century", "When It's Gone" and "One Step Over the Line".

It won Grammy Awards in 1990 for Best Bluegrass Recording (for "The Valley Road", with Bruce Hornsby) and Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. It also won Album of the Year at the Country Music Association Awards. A documentary film, The Making of Will the Circle Be Unbroken II, was released by Cabin Fever Entertainment.

Circle II was followed up with a 2002 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Three, which coincided with the 30th anniversary re-release of Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

[edit] Track listing

1. "Life's Railway to Heaven" (Traditional, arranged by Johnny Cash) " 4:39
* Lead vocal and guitar by Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash, Anita Carter and Helen Carter (as the Carter Family)
* Randy Scruggs plays "Mother" Maybelle Carter's Gibson L5
2. "Grandpa Was a Carpenter" (John Prine) " 3:24
* Lead vocal and guitar by John Prine
3. "When I Get My Rewards" (Paul Kennerley) " 4:25
* Lead vocal by Levon Helm
4. "Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan" (Traditional) " 3:56
* Mandolin and first verse lead vocals by Sam Bush, second-verse vocals by John Cowan and Bob Carpenter
5. "Little Mountain Church House (Jim Rushing/Carl Jackson) " 3:32
* Lead vocal and guitar by Ricky Skaggs
6. "And So It Goes" (Paul Overstreet/Don Schlitz) " 3:54
* Lead vocal by John Denver
7. "When It's Gone" (Jimmie Fadden/Don Schlitz) " 2:34
* Lead vocal by Jimmy Ibbotson
8. "Mary Danced With Soldiers" (Kennerley) " 3:07
* Lead vocal and guitar by Emmylou Harris
9. "Riding Alone" (Bob Carpenter/Jeff Hanna/Richard Hathaway) " 3:09
* Lead vocals by Bob Carpenter and Emmylou Harris
10. "I'm Sitting on Top of the World" (Walter Vinson/Lonnie Chatmon) " 3:10
* Lead vocal and guitar by Jimmy Martin
11. "Lovin' on the Side" (Paulette Carlson, Jimmy Ibbotson, Sandy Waltner) " 2:57
* Lead vocal by Paulette Carlson
12. "Lost River" (Michael Martin Murphey) " 3:26
* Lead vocal and guitar by Michael Martin Murphey
13. "Bayou Jubilee" (Jeff Hanna) " 3:01
* Lead vocal by Jeff Hanna
14. "Blues Berry Hill" (Carpenter/Fadden/Hanna/Ibbotson/R. Scruggs) " 3:26
* Instrumental, featuring Randy Scruggs on lead guitar
15. "Turn of the Century" (J. Fred Knobloch/Dan Tyler) " 3:39
* Lead vocals by Jimmy Ibbotson (first verse), Jeff Hanna (second verse) and Bob Carpenter (third verse)
16. "One Step Over the Line" (John Hiatt) " 4:30
* Lead vocal and guitar by John Hiatt with Rosanne Cash, vocals
17. "You Ain't Going Nowhere" (Bob Dylan) " 3:53
* Lead vocals and twelve-string guitar by Roger McGuinn with Chris Hillman, lead vocals and guitar
18. "The Valley Road" (Bruce Hornsby) " 4:13
* Lead vocals and piano by Bruce Hornsby
19. "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" (A. P. Carter/last verse lyrics by Jimmy Ibbotson) " 5:39
* Lead vocals by Johnny Cash (first verse), Roy Acuff (second verse), Ricky Skaggs (third verse), Levon Helm with Emmylou Harris (fourth verse) and Jimmy Ibbotson (fifth verse)
* Backing choir: Roy Acuff, Cynthia Biederman, Sam Bush, Paulette Carlson, Bob Carpenter, Gretchen Carpenter, June Carter Cash, Johnny Cash, Cindy Cash, John Cowan, Steve Dahl, John Denver, Jimmie Fadden, Bela Fleck, Pat Flynn, Radney Foster, Vince Gill, Jeff Hanna, Melody Hanna, John Hiatt, Chris Hillman, Bruce Hornsby, Jimmy Ibbotson, Helen Carter Jones, David Jones, Bashful Brother Oswald, Bill Lloyd, Jimmy Martin, Michael Martin Murphey, Roger McGuinn, Tracy Nelson, Robert Oermann, Brad Parker, Don Schlitz, Earl Scruggs, Gary Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Steve Scruggs, Lynn Shults, Marty Stuart, Wendy Waldman, Steve Wariner, Cheryl White, Sharon White, Bobbie White
20. "Amazing Grace" (John Newton) " 1:48
* Solo guitar, performed by Randy Scruggs
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:36 am
@sozobe,
Bob Dylan - (from '62 to about '80)
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson (Miracles and solo)
Moody Blues
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young
Buffalo Springfield
The Hollies
Poco
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The Eagles
The Band
Traffic
Cream
Roxy Music (*Avalon album)

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:44 am
@sozobe,
For lyrics, Elvis Costello is good and Paul Simon (without Garfunkle) is good. The "Graceland" record is fabulous. She might like James Taylor and Carole King.

For harmonies, The Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and Queen are good.

Ray Charles does it all.

Mo's favorite band is Green Day. I like their songs a lot too but they use some dirty words so they're off limits to a lot of kids.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:46 am
the kinks
they might be giants

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:54 am
Soz,

I hope you appreciate how lucky you are. Mija (now 4) is all about the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana-- wretched corporate creations with no artistic merit whatsoever. The music she constantly wants to hear drives me crazy.

Any chance maybe Sozlet and Mija could have a playdate?
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:06 am
Excellent, lots of great stuff already!

Boomer, do you recommend Green Day? One other song sozlet enjoyed that doesn't fit in to the above pattern really is "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne -- it's kinda punk lite but she loved it. I don't care too much about bad words, I'd rather avoid violence or misogyny-type stuff though, not sure if they do that.

I'm definitely interested in getting more modern-day stuff.

"Graceland" squeaked in before I lost my hearing completely and I loved it, but E.G. heard it way too much (and was an actual punk at the time) and grimaces every time we bring it up. I've played songs from it for her on YouTube before and she enjoyed them a lot -- seems to not quite be on the same level as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" though. One of the main ways we diverge is that I like rhythms, beats, stuff you can dance to (loved Ladysmith Black Mambazo). That was partly about hearing (I can hear bass and drums better than anything else) but it's also just what I've always liked. That's really secondary for her.

Elvis Costello, good idea.

Awesome list, ragman.

Aidan, that looks really promising!

CSN & Y makes sense, eoe. I kinda involuntarily grimace at Fleetwood Mac but you're right, she might like that.

Both good ideas, djjd... I know the Kinks firsthand but not They Might Be Giants (they were around when I could hear, I just never listened to 'em), they look promising. Which album would you recommend?
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:07 am
@ebrown p,
Hee, sure thing!

Yeah, sozlet is virulently anti-Hannah Montana, which I don't exactly mind...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
They Might Be Giants

TMBG crack me up, but T isn't a fan.

Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas)

by Lou Singer and Hy Zaret, 1959

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Where Hydrogen is built into Helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees

The sun is hot, the sun is not
A place where we could live
But here on Earth there'd be no life
Without the light it gives

We need its light, we need its heat
The sun light that we seek
The sun light comes from our own sun's
Atomic energy

The sun is hot...

The sun is so hot that everything on it is a gas
Aluminum, Copper, Iron, and many others

The sun is large...

If the sun were hollow, a million Earth's would fit inside
And yet, it is only a middle size star

The sun is far away...

About 93,000,000 miles away
And that's why it looks so small

But even when it's out of sight
The sun shines night and day

We need its heat, we need its light
The sun light that we seek
The sun light comes from our own sun's
Atomic energy

Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom smashing machine
The heat and light of the sun are caused by nuclear reactions between
Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Carbon, and Helium

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:32 am
Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" album immediately springs to mind.
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:52 am
@Gargamel,
Just read about it on Amazon, looks really good. "Great singer-songwriter" (a phrase used in a review re: Young) seems to be the best encapsulation of what she likes.

(By the way it's Simon and GarfunkEL, oops. Sorry, Art.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:01 am
What about Tori Amos? She's past my time, but keeps coming up when I Google "Greatest singer-songwriters."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:04 am
@sozobe,
Funny! Just the other day, my daughter heard something from Simon & Garfunkel for the first time and loved it. She's not into "Bridge over troubled waters" but loves "Mrs. Robinson" and her favorite is "The sound of silence".

She also likes some Elvis Presley songs, Raspberries, Jimmy Hendrix and
The Doors, her favorite is Pink Floyd though.

As for the new groups, try "Panic at the Disco" they have great songs (I posted
one in the music thread) or Coldplay.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
With her love for harmony, lyrics and country, I'd bet the Sozlet would appreciate the soundtrack to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

It's just so interesting to read about little kids getting into earlier music. You wonder what hooks them. Lyrics, melodies, the voices, a particular instrument? Perhaps you've shared it already Soz but what do you think these older songs have that appeal to your little girl? What is it that she loves about the Beatles or Johnny Cash?
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
@eoe,
I'm not sure exactly... I'll ask her when she gets home.

When she was maybe five we went to a free concert with a Beatles tribute band -- they're evidently quite good, and she was just blown away. I got her a video of "Yellow Submarine" shortly after that and she's been a huge fan ever since.

I think it's the melodies + harmonies + lyrics + ya know, skillz. It's the Beatles! They're good! Smile

CJane, thanks for the more-current stuff, I'll look into that! Interesting that your daughter liked Simon & Garfunkel too -- sozlet's been listening to the album (CD) "Bridge Over Troubled Water" over and over, but I think her favorite songs are "The Boxer" and "Baby Driver." (She's been singing the "lie-la-lie" refrain from "The Boxer" over and over...)

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:21 am
@sozobe,
Green Day's been around for 20 years but since they still record new music I suppose they are current.

But no violence and no misogny that I recall off the top of my head, but "faggot" and what it means in the song, and what it means how it is usually used, and why I don't want him to use that word was hard to explain.

I've always liked them but Mo discovered them on his own. We were swimming one day when "American Idiot" came on the radio and he fell in love with it. I mentioned that I had the CD and offered to play it for him, we listened, he loved.

I've since bought him a copy of "International" which is a greatest hits thing and he really really likes a lot of songs on it. So do I.

Even then it didn't lose it's "cool". Probably because he asked his drum teacher about it and he loves the song too. His drum teacher is a bigger influence on his tastes than I am and the Disney brand of pseudo-rock is really frowned upon at music school so we're safe from that.

His teacher plays in a rockabilly band so that music is popular around here too:

(Coincidentally, one of the hosts of that show is Mo's old guitar teacher at a different music school.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
Oasis - Tries to ape The Beatles, is melodic
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Hard not to like a lot of their stuff, I think it fits with her taste as I understand it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:40 pm
Beach Boys!

Another vote for They Might be Giants - Particle Man and Constantinople are two of my fave songs ever.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1051269099683674710&ei=RDOoSfCGN6O6qAPc2Ml_&q=particle+man+youtube&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6159901870429822142&ei=NDSoSfXtEJbUqAOfgMGPDQ&q=constantinople&hl=en

Cycloptichorn