Fearful rescued dog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
The dog we just rescued...Lily...is a standard poodle who was abused and abandoned with two puppies on a highway. She is very shy,and very attached to me. The problem is with my husband. He is a big guy with a big voice and she is scared to death of him. He tries talking to her, taking her for walks, giving her treats, but she still barks at him. He is determined to be patient with her, because he knows how much she means to me. She is a sweetheart. Just frightened. Her manners are perfect, she's housebroken, she can be trusted loose in the house when we are gone, and she doesn't bother our four cats. Any suggestions for us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,925 • Replies: 14

High Seas

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:53 am
@mags314772,
You and your husband are doing the right thing - if the poor animal was "just rescued" though, you have to allow for lots of time and patience.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
@mags314772,
Time and more time is needed.

We had a similar problem with a female stray dog that my mother began to feed many many years ago.

She had a very bad limp as if someone had kick her and even starving we needed to walk far away from the food before she would go near it.

This went on for months and then one day as if someone had thrown a switch in her brain when I pull into my mother driveway she came to me and press herself against me!

After that moment she never show any more fear toward me or my mother and became a wonderful family pet for the rest of her life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:59 am
@mags314772,
Has your husband spent any time alone in a smallish room sitting alone with Lily?

- not approaching her, not looking at her, not talking to her - just sitting in the room - maybe reading, with a few treats nearby to offer her after she has approached him - definitely not touching her until after she's approached him and sniffed him a couple of times
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:00 am
not much in the way of suggestions. We have had a newf/lab rescue for three years, she and the rest of her litter were found by the side of the highway out in the middle of no where. It is believed that these puppies were out there for a number of weeks. She is even now, after working with her, lacking in confidence and thus edgy/aggressive around people she does not know. she also barks at us sometimes when we come in the front door.

She is mostly a good pet now, though in the beginning she ate much of or furniture and dug up much of our back yard flower beds. Still, we cant trust her, and worry that she will bite someone.

about 6 months in we went to a really good dog trainer (she calls herself a "people trainer") which did help.
mags314772

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:03 am
@hawkeye10,
We have called a trainer. She is coming to the house Monday afternoon
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:37 am
@ehBeth,
that's a good idea
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:57 pm
@mags314772,
My first thought: Have your husband become the ONLY person who feeds her, ever.

Most dogs do really well with this... and good luck to you!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:06 pm
@mags314772,
Time and continued gentle love and care from the husband. I'm sure the dog will come around after a constant barrage of cooing and cookies.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
In my last job, we had a husky/mix dog the company was taking care of in their adoption arm of the company. I can't tell you how the dog perceived me but I managed to be the first male she had let near her without her snapping out against anyone in the months of her known existence in the adoption system.

Being humble and moving in a very passive manner towards the dog helps. Letting the dog come to the husband is preferred to the husband approaching the dog.
0 Replies

spoilt

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@mags314772,
We had the same problem with our adopted dog. It took a lot of TLC for months before she became a very loving and faithful dog. She's the best one we've had.
mags314772

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:43 pm
@spoilt,
We've had a break-thru today with the use of DAP (dog appeasing pheromone)
Lily gets a hot dog treat every time she does not bark when my husband comes in the room...today was the first time she got the bite of hot dog...
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:12 pm
@mags314772,
mags314772 wrote:

We've had a break-thru today with the use of DAP (dog appeasing pheromone)
Lily gets a hot dog treat every time she does not bark when my husband comes in the room...today was the first time she got the bite of hot dog...

Aaaww, I'm so glad to hear it!
0 Replies

mpetrangelo

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:43 am
@mags314772,
the best way for you dog to get used to you hubby is for him to ignore her completely. I had the same problem with an adopted dog, but her fear was all people. She was to be put down the day I took because of her fearfull snapping at people. Dog's pshocologically are social creatures. I brought her home and let her loose in the house with my kids and hubby, With the rule --IGNORE her at all cost. We all took turns at feedings. We would put the food down and let her eat when we wer not around. It took about three weeks before she actually came up to my husband and allowed him to pat her on the head. She then began sleeping next to one of my sons bedside. It took time but she became the most loveable playfull unafraid dog I had adopted. Fear keep the dog at bay. Ignoring her give her a sense of safety from the imposer. Tell your hubby to ignore her at all cost and she will come around. If she barks at him tell him to not even look at her. She feels threatened and eye to eye contact means something in the dog world. It is a challenge. If she should come up to him to sniff --he must ignore her, not try to pet her. Once she feels no threat she will calm down and allow more interaction between her and you hubby.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:42 am
We gave it a year. Hired a trainer. Tried EVERTHING. When we took her to the dog park, she was leaping for joy, playing with the other dogs, a pleasure to watch. When we left the dog park, Lily was terrified again. The only place she felt comfortable at our house was laying beside me on the bed. I love this dog, but new I couldn't make her happy. I talked to my vet, to my dog trainer, and to my friend who originally rescued her. She took Lily into her home, and Lily had an aversion to her grandson, who lives with them. She now lives with her new mama, who is a professional dog groomer whose kids are grown. There are no males in the house and there is another standard poodle there. Lily goes to work with mama every day, her tail is up and wagging all the time,and she is one happy dog. I still miss her, but it was the best thing for her
0 Replies