Paint color for covered porch roof.

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:18 pm
I seem to recall that there are rules but I'm not sure if that only relates to Victorian style and had something to do with confusing birds. My house is kind of Tudor/storybook cottage that doesn't have a problem with disoriented birds.

The old porch roof was untreated pine (ugly) so we ripped it all out when we were having some electrical work done so now it's really ugly with it's view of insulation.

I have a choice of what to install and how to deal with it.

I have some lovely reclaimed fir sitting in my garage that I wouldn't mid using. I wouldn't want to paint it though. Maybe a colored stain? Maybe blue stain? We'll be painting the rest of the house soonish, most likely a green based tannish color that I like. The trim is dark brown.

Do you have a covered porch?

What color or material is the roof?

Why did you pick that?

Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 6,654 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:21 pm
Have you looked into architectural tiles in a tudor style? They are actually made of cast cement (fireproof), but can look exactly like slate or wood. They never need to be painted or stained. You pick a color and that's how they arrive from the manufacturer. I would suggest either a brown that already exists on the house or slate grey:

http://www.patriotroofing.com/i/portfolio/monier/monier1.jpg

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:50 pm
There are a lot of Craftsman bungalows with large front porches in our part of town, boomer. You probably remember that. Conventional wisdom around here says to paint porch roofs white/ivory or light blue, and that brown porch roofs attract wasps. I don't know if that's true, though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:20 am
You cant beat a nice bit of corregated iron boomer. bullnosed of course.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
Wondering about light slightly greyish green.
Those slate tiles sound good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm
@boomerang,
Do you mean the top part (exposed to the elements) or the underside (the porch's ceiling)?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
Oops. Sorry. Soz is right - I mean the ceiling of the porch.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
@boomerang,
I think the earlier comments assumed it was the porch ceiling.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
Trying to remember what I'd heard about blue ceilings I came across this:

Quote:
Haint Blue is a mesmerizing and fascinating color -- a color seen on doors, shutters, entire buildings and most commonly on porch ceilings all over the world. The picture below was taken on a trip to Indonesia. Discovering this color and its mystic qualities were so far-reaching, I decided to explore in depth the legend of Haint Blue.

What is a "Haint"?
Haints are restless spirits of the dead who have not moved on from the physical world. They exist as non-physical in the space between our dimenson and what is beyond. This type of spirit is not the über friendly sort and you don't want them hanging around.

What exactly IS Haint Blue?
I learned Haint Blue is a spiritual and cultural based color especially in the southern United States. Back in the day, Haint Blue was mixed as milk paint formulas using lime and whatever local pigments were available. The color was mixed in pits dug on the properties where the painters were working. Hand-crafted Haint Blue translates into a range of colors, not any one specific color.

What does Haint Blue do?
Haint Blue is meant to look like water and keep the Haints out of your house making you safe from their influence. Speculation has it that the tints, tones, and shades from the blue-green to blue-violet part of the visible spectrum fools the Haints. Haints can not cross water. Using Haint Blue on doors, shutters, window trim, ceilings, the whole darn structure, can fool Haints and discourage them from "crossing" into your house.

It is believed that Haint Blue can fake-out insects and birds too. The story is Haint Blue looks like endless sky to the little critters and deters them from making themselves at home on your exterior. The key ingredient of lime in the milk paint formulas is what likely deterred the insects and birds, not the color itself. Modern paint formulas do not contain lime. So, I'm not convinced painting your porch ceiling blue is going to help shoo the bugs and birds -- but who's to say for sure. I do know Haint Blue is an attractive addition to most any exterior color scheme."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@boomerang,
OK thanks, I wasn't sure.

The reclaimed fir sounds nice!

We have pine (?) -- I think it's pressure-treated and treated for mold, that sort of thing, but otherwise it doesn't have any surface treatment and I really like it. It's about a dozen years old (installed by previous owners) and still looks quite good.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:24 pm
Haint blue porch ceiling:

http://flowergardengirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/wilmington-1-112.jpg?w=1024&h=1362

"Haint" can refer to a variety of blue shades. I got this photo from this site: http://flowergardengirl.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/haint-blue-porch-ceiling/

Another link to more photos: http://flowergardengirl.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/haint-blue-color-formula/
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:06 pm
We've decided to go with bead-board.

I think I'll paint it haint blue just for kicks and converstion.

Thanks all!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:19 pm
@boomerang,
Have fun! (I like bead board..)
0 Replies

RonnySanders

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:56 am
I think blue color will good for porch ceiling. Blue ceilings have become popular.
AndrewJayden

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:31 am
@RonnySanders,
colors are often dark grays or browns that will hide dust and dirt. On the other hand, the purpose of a covered porch is to shade and protect, so a bright white might create glare and draw attention away from the surroundings.
0 Replies