In real life, all but the tiniest bit of the wealth which the the advanced Western nations have ever produced has come from native materials, labor, and ingenuity and has been shared with the world in such manner as to benefit the entire world.
That is simply untrue. The distribution of wealth is not equal. A hungry child in some parts of Africa doesn't get the same attention a hungry child in Norway gets.
That's true, but there's no rational way to view that as our fault.
Cyr, the charity is given by charity organisations " I don’t necessarily agree with the manner of giving, but they aren’t the ones that are keeping poor countries poor " that would be a combination of multinational corporations, western governments, banks including the IMF and World Banks, corruption in their own countries, and poor education.
In relation to the quotes - the Western world does in fact exert undue influence on their state of poverty. The third world owes the west over $3.2 trillion dollars. If you consider in many countries the average worker earns only a few dollars a day (compared to our average of say $200 dollars per day), you can begin to see the actual size of the debt...and we’re still lending more to them.
Then there are their resources which are mined by western countries, and very little of it actually ever makes it back to the country that owns the resources. I’ve seen one estimate that, in the end, only 3-4% makes it back. If I remember right, that went along the lines of : 75% to the company, of the remaining 25% 2/3’rds goes to servicing debt, of the remaingi 1/3 of 25% (so about 8%) ½ goes to providing the infrustructure necessary for the oil well.
Then there is the way that multi-nationals make nations bid for their companies to locate there, and the bidding is usually by way of tax concessions (you’ll see when they want to build very large refineries and the like " they do this in western nations too now)...but these poor nations still have to provide infrastructure so they still have to tax their own companies " which means their own companies have to compete against more efficient methods paying less tax, so the local companies fall over.
Then the IMF/World Bank, when nations default, demand ‘restructuring’, which to the world bank/IMF means ‘opening your markets up’, but it’s a fact that none of the current developed nations managed to develop without protection to vital components of their economies.
Then there are the roles that 'tax havens' play in world trade, and the amount of tax multi-nationals pay.
That’s a very summarised version of how it all works. If you want to understand it better, you’re going to have to start reading about foreign policy and economics.
Books I liked were, pulitzer prize winner “A Legacy of Ashes : the history of the CIA” (written from CIA records and interviews with former operatives), ‘A game as old as empire’ (written by multiple authors, each accounting their own actions), ‘Confessions of an Economic Hitman’ (which by the way, sounds like a conspiracy theory, except there’s documentary evidence that the author is who is says he is, and can verify much of what he wrote about), A Clash of Fundamentalism by Tariq Ali (should have a ME viewpoint " he comes across at intelligent but with a great hatred for the US, but some points he makes are quite valid), Inside Al-Qeida (the founding of Al-Qeida), All the Shahs Men (written by a NYT journalist), and The State of Africa.
They make interesting reading purely because once you've read enough books, you realise that people from all over the world, western and eastern, are saying the same things...and once it's been properly explained to you how it works., and it actually forms a easy to see, logical pattern.