Selecting grout colors

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah... nutmeg, quarry red, sable, or tobacco -- all of those are nice.

I'll look for a real color chart at the tile shop tomorrow.
boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
I imagine that I'll let it do what copper does.

Mr. B might differ but I usually get my way.

(However... this is the tile Mr. B fell for and fell for HARD. I would have never selected something this expensive although I like it very much. It is really the only thing he has ever had a hankering for in this house so whatever it cost it was worth it as long as I don't screw it up from here.)

I understand that copper tile can scratch so I'm going to have to deal with that along with the patina thing that will be an issue 50 years from now when I'm dead and Mo is trying to sell this joint.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh yeah... and "Moss"... moss might work.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
Boomer, no I would not take white grout, but ivory would look good, even grey would. I think with a lighter color the copper stands out more - but I am far out: my white bathroom floor tiles have lipstick red grout.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:08 pm
This is a page of a ceramic fourm that has been around for many years now, might be more on the site about copper tiles...these guys are all pro's.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62623
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:30 am
I would have thought a light coloured grout would end up stained all shades of black and grey from wood ash.
Ash is unavoidable from a wood stove.

check about the finish on the tiles, they may nbe finished with a laquer to avoid the green patina aged copper gets. check also about the actual percentage of copper. I have an idea that copper combined with other metals does not form a green patina. (not sure about that).

We have copper (autumn tones) ceramic tiles on our kitchen benches. The dark brown grout doesnt show the dirt that inevitably builds up.

I've got an idea most tilers reccomend a few shades darker for grout.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:07 am
@boomerang,
Amazing what google will turn up. Somebody asked your question almost word for word -- grout colour for copper tiles -- and both tobacco and moss were recommended. (Polyblend)
boomerang

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:29 am
@Tai Chi,
2Packs link also recommended tobacco!

Lipstick red, CJane!? You're brave.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:05 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, that's what they called the grout: Lipstick red! It's not as bad as it sounds - look!
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5544/picture2dgf.png
boomerang

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:11 am
@CalamityJane,
Very cool!

But I still think you're brave for having made that decision.

We're putting in tile like that (black and white) in our bathroom and I wringing my hands over whether to use black or white grout. I am usually unafraid of color. I think its the permanancy of tile that has me scared.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:19 am
@boomerang,
Black and white would look nice. I had that once too - huge 24 x 24 white tiles
and black grout, also for a bathroom. The white tiles/red grout are in my
daughter's bathroom.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:18 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I am usually unafraid of color. I think its the permanancy of tile that has me scared.

Grout can be recoloured fairly easily.

Fear not, little Boomerang.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
Really it can? Whew! The pressure is off.

I picked up the tile this morning and now that I know who makes it I can post the right photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/tile.jpg

It has more of an aged look than the photo I had found the other day.

I still haven't bought grout since the tile store did not have a big selection on hand.

I'm swaying back to black though.....

I think we will probably need to protect the tile from scratching somehow. Any ideas?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:45 pm
@boomerang,
I take my vote against black back, since I see the tile... now I can see going either way, sim to tile (a brown) or black/charcoal - and now I'm off of thinking peach.
Oh wait, maybe moss...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@boomerang,
Get colored construction paper, and place the tiles on top of the paper. Then look down vertically to get a sense of how various colors will look.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@boomerang,
Is the tile already treated to maintain that 'antique' finish?

It looks like an duller version of the tiles in the photo I posted. I still like 'reading away', so a dark brown that lets the tile be the star would get my vote. Kind of like using brown-black mascara v black mascara.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Get colored construction paper, and place the tiles on top of the paper. Then look down vertically to get a sense of how various colors will look.

Now, that's an excellent idea!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, that was my first and probably last take. The tile will be the star instead of fighting pattern. I can get black now, given the stove and the darkness of the tile color, so I moved away from being starkly against it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:46 pm
I've been thinking and I've come up with a plan....

If we seal the tile it will stay like this and I'll use black grout for the high drama. I have a nice collection of black iron kettles and we have old black iron fireplace tools as well as it being a black iron woodstove.

If we decide to continue to let it oxidize I'll use brown grout since that would look better with greens for a real earthy look.

I think Mr. B will like the first option better as he wants to avoid "too rustic".

0 Replies