Why is it so expensive to fly to Iraq?

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:58 pm
Flights are over 6K from where I am (Costa Rica) to Iraq. But I can get nearby for a lot less. Despite the war that is winding down I found this surprising. Anyone else know why travel to Iraq is so costly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 6,953 • Replies: 28

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Insurance?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I should imagine Bob that the demand for flights to Iraq is such that economies of scale are not operational, or nearly so.

If only one person wished to go to Iraq, who was paying himself, I should think 6 grand is a bargain.
roger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
@spendius,
Probably. I once flew from Farming to Albuquerque and connected with a flight to Orlando. One third of the total round trip price was the 45 minute trip to Alb.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:20 pm
@spendius,
But I can fly nearby cheaply, it seems like most airlines don't want to handle the last connection.
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
If you don't want to go to Iraq Bob I wouldn't bother about it.

It does however highlight how cheap the fares on in the ads on this page.

Garden sheds are probably a good subject to attract ads. And camping is even better.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@spendius,
I want to go to Iraq because my brother and a good friend are currently there. Your suggestion that it's about the ads is, well, typically dull of you.
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I know Bob. Fly to Jordan then and get a taxi. Taxis were cheap when I was there. Mules even more so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
the demand for flights to Iraq is such that economies of scale are not operational, or nearly so.

I think this ^ plus insurance considerations are the major factors in the cost.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
Between the high security costs, the unknown about what will happen with security over time, the corrupt Iraq government, and what is certainly high insurance costs to operate in Iraq, why would airlines serve Iraq at all??
Quote:
Like the US embassy in Kabul, Baghdad's airport is a high-risk target. Lying at the end of a once treacherous seven-mile stretch of road known as "Route Irish," the airport is a hub for visiting dignitaries, press, contractors, and many others transiting to or from Baghdad. (In the past, the airport and its environs have been a frequent target for rocket and mortar attacks.) Though the security situation in Iraq has vastly improved, this is not the type of place where you can afford to take chances. Perhaps ArmorGroup has convinced Iraqi officials that it's up to the job. Or has the Iraqi government seriously overlooked the baggage of its new airport security provider?

and
Quote:
By Daniel Schulman
| Tue Nov. 17, 2009 5:00 AM PST.It's considered one of the most dangerous airports in the world, and starting soon Baghdad International will be under the protection of the same private security empire whose embassy guards in Kabul engaged in a range of misconduct and drunken hazing rituals, including those now infamous vodka buttshots. Recently, Iraq's governing council selected ArmorGroup to take over airport security, replacing a company called Sabre International, which has held the contract for the past year.

The security contract is worth $22.5 million, according to Agence France Presse, and comes a little over two months after the Project on Government Oversight exposed a pattern of misbehavior by ArmorGroup employees protecting the US Embassy in Kabul under a $189 million State Department contract. The controversy led to the firings of more than a dozen ArmorGroup personnel, prompted an ongoing investigation by the State Department's Inspector General, and could eventually end up costing the company the embassy contract

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2009/11/armorgroup-wins-baghdad-airport-security-contract
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:03 pm
The previous most expensive flight per kilometer was from Australia to New Zealand. Lack of competition was the reason there.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:10 pm
are you checking all airports Robert?
Quote:

Feb 5, 2010 Henk Bekker

Non-Stop Flights from Western Europe to Erbil Airport (EBL) in Iraq
The largest number of commercial flights from Western Europe to Iraq currently goes Erbil International Airport (EBL) outside Erbil (sometimes written Arbil or Irbil) in Iraqi Kurdistan. Flights to Erbil are not particularly cheap but an increase in competition is helping to force prices down.

Austrian Airlines (OS) is currently the most convenient European airline to use to Erbil. Austrian Airlines flies three times per week non-stop from Vienna (VIE) to Erbil (EBL). In contrast to Viking Airlines and Air Berlin, bookings for Austrian Airlines flights to Iraq can be made through any regular air ticket reservation service. Furthermore, Austrian Airlines offers guaranteed connections through it hub in Vienna and, as a subsidiary of Lufthansa, allows connecting flights to several hundred destinations worldwide.

Swedish carrier Viking Airlines (4P/VIK) flies from Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN), Gothenburg-Landvetter (GOT), and Malmo-Sturup (MMX) to Erbil (EBL) in Iraq. Viking Airlines offers guaranteed through connections to Erbil via Sweden from Birmingham (BHX) and London-Gatwick (LGW) in the United Kingdom. The Viking Airlines flights from Stockholm to Erbil are weekly while other flights are scheduled only a few times per month. A subsidiary airline, Viking Hellas (VQ), has started weekly flights from Athens (ATH) in Greece to Erbil (EBL).

German low-cost airline Air Berlin (AB) has started flights from Munich (München / MUC) to Erbil on a trial basis. Connecting Air Berlin flights are currently only available from Berlin (TXL), Düsseldorf (DUS) and Hamburg (HAM). Air Berlin intends to increase the number of flights from summer 2010.

Read more at Suite101: Direct Non-Stop Flights from West Europe to Iraq: Fly to Erbil (EBL), Sulaimaniyah (ISU), and Baghdad (SDA) Airports http://iraq-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/direct-non-stop-flights-from-west-europe-to-iraq#ixzz0h4UvuZSb
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hawkeye is correct - as long as you can get to almost any major European city you can get a return flight to Baghdad for around EU 500 - this is from Athens:
http://www.swedishwire.com/business/2960-viking-airlines-launches-flights-to-baghdad
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
robert :
have you cheched the IRAQI AIRWAYS flight schedule ?

see :

http://www.iraqiairways.co.uk/en/flight_schedule.html
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:12 pm
probably because it's such a fabulous vacation paradise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I want to go to Iraq because my brother and a good friend are currently there. Your suggestion that it's about the ads is, well, typically dull of you.

Might you see Monger???!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:37 am
Is that where Monger is?? And Lusatian?

Say g'day from us.
dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:02 am
@margo,
Monger said ages ago that he was going to Iraq for a while.....not sure if he is still there.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:36 am
You should be making a move Bob. It gets fiendishly hot in mid-summer. "Phew-wor a scorcha" doesn't do it justice.
Gargamel

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:34 pm
@spendius,
Remember when you were funny?

Yeah, neither do I.