How to deal with a rebellious teenager?

zhjuan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
Since my daughter is young, I have been teaching her to be an assertive, independent persona who stand up for herself. Now she is nearly teen and she does all these thing even when she is wrong. The conversation was very quickly heated and we end up a big fight. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 867 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rubybloodstone

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:04 am
@zhjuan,
I'm sorry to say. But there isn't much you can do. I know it may hurt but she has to learn from her mistakes. The best you can do is groundher, take things off her, stop her priveledges and hope for the best. When she starts behaving again then slowly give her these back. That's what my parents did with my brother. It actually worked.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:52 am
@zhjuan,
Maybe you could not be so serious, just ask her why she thinks she's right. Tell her you disagree, that she could get into trouble, look bad, be disappointed in herself, etc. Tell her you think she is smarter than that, to do whatever you think is a wrong thing to be doing. Teens can be difficult. But, when you try to control them - that does not encourage independence and assertiveness, just anger. They do have to make mistakes, learn from them, yes.

rubybloodstone

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:01 am
@Pemerson,
Well i'm 17 and i have never had to be told that what i was doing was wrong. But my brother is 13 and he does. My parents method has always worked but i see your point. I suggest trying your approach first. then if that doesn't work try my parents approach.
0 Replies