So what actually happened in the Men's 500?

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:14 am
I read that Appallo (sic) Ohno was DQ for touching Tremblay, who went down, but that he accused the Cdn ref for a bad (partisan) call.

I didn't see the event... did anyone else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,713 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:04 am
I saw it. I think either Ohno and the Canadian (sorry I can't remember his name) should have both been disqualified, or neither should have been disqualified.

I'm not exactly an expert. I see this event once every four years. But Ohno touched another skater who went down. So did the Canadian. It's possible that the strength of the touch is the issue, but both skaters who were touched went down.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:16 am
@Roberta,
Yeh I saw it and was watching the film . Ohno and the Canadian kid all touched the skater (who, by the way, was really crowding and there was nowhere for anyone to go). Ohno and the Canadian stayed up but the Canadian crossed the finish line backwards. Ive learned that there is a degree of subjectivity in the rules interp in short track skating. Those blades needed to be hollow ground really well to stick to the mushy ice. Ohno predicted all that before the race and he even said that staying up and not breaking loose in the last few laps is a very difficult thing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:18 am
I saw it and saw many replays of the incident later and while everyone focused on Apollo's hand on the skater in front of him, I'd like to see a close-up of their blades. It looked to me like Apollo may have "inadvertently" clipped the other skater. He was coming in fourth after all. But I'm certain that's already been reviewed. Just haven't heard any mention of it. But I thought it rather unsportsman-like for Apollo to immediately claim partiality from the judges. His fingerpointing just made me suspect him of foul play even more.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:23 am
@eoe,
He was already second when the clips happened. Did you miss the pat on the rump by the Canadian? as the Kprean tried to muscle up? After the touching, the Korean looked like he hit one of the pucks.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:15 am
I'd like to see that race on youtube... think I'll go look for it.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Mame

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:21 am
@Mame,
Ah, they've all been removed from youtube.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:29 am
I watched it too. I saw all the pats, didn't look like any were purposely dangerous, but I've also heard it wasn't the touches. It was interference because Apollo didn't allow the Korean to pass.
I'm an avid every four year fan too, so I'm not sure what the protocol is. I felt bad for him though. It always sucks when you're disqualified.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:30 pm
@Mame,
Wasn't Ohno disqualified in 2002 as well?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@Mame,
I saw it as well. So Ohno touched the Canadian skater as he got close - normal move and normally not considered a reason to disqualify some one - but the Canadian skater fell. Since the skater fell, the ref declared that Ohno caused the fall resulting in the disqualification.

What makes it seem even worse is that the winning Canadian also "touched" the Korean skater and the Korean skater fell. But the Canadian was not disqualified, but instead won the gold.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@eoe,
The one thing is a similar thing happened to him before (Apollo) and he benefited from it - similar to the Canadian this time.

It is subjective and anything subjective could be interpreted differently so basically it is part of the sport and ya gotten live with it. I tell my daughter this all time when she receives a bad call in sports. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't.
0 Replies