iq test

handi

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 01:26 am
Carlos is the sixth tallest in his class and he is also the sixth shortest in his class.

How many people are in his class?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 35
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:08 am
@handi,
You don't have enough information to answer this because there could be another person or even more than one person who is the same height as Carlos.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:09 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

You don't have enough information to answer this because there could be another person or even more than one person who is the same height as Carlos.

Not exactly the same height. The answer is eleven.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:11 am
@Brandon9000,
why not? My sister is exactly the same height as I am - 5 foot three and three quarter inches. There could be a set of identical twins in the classroom....
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:18 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

why not? My sister is exactly the same height as I am - 5 foot three and three quarter inches. There could be a set of identical twins in the classroom....

Try taking to sixteenths of an inch and see if you're still the same height. If height is defined properly, I suppose you could take it to a milimeter or less.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Wow, you're up late

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:24 am
@Brandon9000,
I see what you're saying - but it's a badly worded question and all that would need to be inserted to clear up any ambiguity is the phrase, 'If no one is the same height' and continue with ' in a classroom in which Carlos is the sixth tallest and the sixth shortest - how many people are in the class?'

Usually the purpose of these sort of questions is to get the student to apply critical thinking skills. The reason I even thought of the caveat I did is because when I was in sixth grade there WAS a set of identical twins in my class - Steven and Jason- and whenever we got weighed and measured, we were all very interested in and fascinated by the fact that they were exactly the same height and weight (although I don't know that the school nurse measured them to a milimeter or less).
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Wow, you're up late

Cycloptichorn

I'd say, "you too," but I know that you're in an earlier time zone. I'm a night owl by nature, and, on top of that, until 30 minutes ago, my wife was studying for her really difficult Anatomy course. She's gone back to school to learn something more marketable than her original degrees.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:06 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I see what you're saying - but it's a badly worded question and all that would need to be inserted to clear up any ambiguity is the phrase, 'If no one is the same height' and continue with ' in a classroom in which Carlos is the sixth tallest and the sixth shortest - how many people are in the class?'

Usually the purpose of these sort of questions is to get the student to apply critical thinking skills. The reason I even thought of the caveat I did is because when I was in sixth grade there WAS a set of identical twins in my class - Steven and Jason- and whenever we got weighed and measured, we were all very interested in and fascinated by the fact that they were exactly the same height and weight (although I don't know that the school nurse measured them to a milimeter or less).

It wouldn't hurt if they told you what you could assume.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:06 am
@aidan,
Here's my iq question: How can a thread have 6 responses and 0 views?

Laughing Laughing all these wacky changes - fascinating!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:12 am
@Brandon9000,
now there are nine responses and 0 views. This is fascinating - but I have to go to work- this is what I'll be distracted by thinking about all day now.

I think they'd be most likely to not want you to assume anything. But I guess I'd be more comfortable assuming that it's more statistically likely to have people of the same height in any situation than it would be to have kids assume that they were being measured to the exact millimeter when perhaps they were in third or fourth grade and had just started learning about fractions - and had only learned how to use their rulers to measure to the half or quarter inch by the lines between the numbers.

You'd be surprised how old some kids are who still don't know how to measure to an eighth of an inch, or understand exactly what that means.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
aidan wrote:

why not? My sister is exactly the same height as I am - 5 foot three and three quarter inches.
There could be a set of identical twins in the classroom....

Try taking to sixteenths of an inch and see if you're still the same height.
If height is defined properly, I suppose you could take it to a milimeter or less.
In theory (not in real life) it is POSSIBLE to be exactly equal in measurement.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Why do you say it's only possible in theory for something to be exactly equal in measurement to something else? Is there some new evidence that every person in the world has been measured to the nth degree (whatever that is - you'd even have to come up with fractions of fractions of millimeters) and that no one is ever exactly the same? I don't believe that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:28 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Why do you say it's only possible in theory for something to be exactly equal in measurement to something else?
Is there some new evidence that every person in the world has been measured to the nth degree (whatever that
is - you'd even have to come up with fractions of fractions of millimeters) and that no one is ever exactly the same? I don't believe that.
No 2 things, including people are equal in the real world.
Brandon is correct in pointing out that sufficiently precise measurement
woud reveal differences, be thay any minute fraction of a nanometer.
The evidence is not new.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
aidan wrote:
Why do you say it's only possible in theory
for something to be exactly equal in measurement to something else?
Is there some new evidence that every person in the world
has been measured to the nth degree (whatever that is -
you'd even have to come up with fractions of fractions of millimeters)
and that no one is ever exactly the same?
I don't believe that.
No 2 things, including people are equal in the real world.
Brandon is correct in pointing out that sufficiently precise measurement
woud reveal differences, be thay any minute fraction of a nanometer.
The evidence is not new.

David
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You show me any evidence at all (old, new or otherwise) that all of the almost 7 billion people on this planet have been measured for height and there are not any of those people who are exactly the same height.

Or do you consider a measured height to be as individual as fingerprints and dna?

I'm just not buying that.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is absolutely false (no two people share the same height), and it is easily proven to be false.

Construct a time vs. height graph and include a curve for every living person on the planet. Your claim is that none of these curves will ever cross. Do you know of no one who is shorter than a younger person?

If the measurements are taken when the curves cross, they will be identical.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@markr,
markr wrote:

This is absolutely false (no two people share the same height), and it is easily proven to be false.

Construct a time vs. height graph and include a curve for every living person on the planet. Your claim is that none of these curves will ever cross. Do you know of no one who is shorter than a younger person?

If the measurements are taken when the curves cross, they will be identical.

But they will only be identical for a very, very short time if the measurement is to a tenth of a millimeter or better, assuming a measuring system is used which is good to that precision. If the measurement is even more precise, say to a thousandth of a millimeter, then they will be equal for an even shorter amount of time. The odds of two people in one class having heights identical to within a tenth of a millimeter are very, very small. If the measurement is to within a tiny fration of a millimeter, then although what you say is true in theory, in practice you will be very unlikely observe it.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
But the measurements of heights are not recorded to the tenth or hundredth or thousandth of a millimeter. They're usually recorded and written to a quarter of an inch. Thus the odds of two people having identical heights in the same class as they are traditionally recorded is not really that small. Especially if the people are around the the same age - as they would be if they're in the same class.

This is a third or fourth grade math question for goodness sakes - do you know your own height to a thousandth of a millimeter? Have you ever in any situation seen it recorded that way? And if not - why would anyone else have it recorded that way - including the kids in Carlos' classroom?

And anyway - the statement was made that no two people in the world can be exactly the same height by you first and then David. I say that's ridiculous but I also understand I don't know everything - so I'd love for someone to show me why and how anyone could possibly think they a) KNOW that to be true
and/or b) logically hypothesize that it might be true.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:41 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

But the measurements of heights are not recorded to the tenth or hundredth or thousandth of a millimeter. They're usually recorded and written to a quarter of an inch. Thus the odds of two people having identical heights in the same class as they are traditionally recorded is not really that small. Especially if the people are around the the same age - as they would be if they're in the same class.

This is a third or fourth grade math question for goodness sakes - do you know your own height to a thousandth of a millimeter? Have you ever in any situation seen it recorded that way? And if not - why would anyone else have it recorded that way - including the kids in Carlos' classroom?

And anyway - the statement was made that no two people in the world can be exactly the same height by you first and then David. I say that's ridiculous but I also understand I don't know everything - so I'd love for someone to show me why and how anyone could possibly think they a) KNOW that to be true
and/or b) logically hypothesize that it might be true.

Because no two objects you observe in the real world will ever be the same length, if you are willing to measure them to any arbitrary degree of precision. Remember that if their lengths are different by even on nanometer, or even less than that, then they aren't the same. If it were me, I'd interpret a grade school question in the only reasonable way in which it has an answer.