@Ticomaya,
http://www.varnishgal.com/smile.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:10 pm
@ehBeth,
well...

I'm taking the plunge.

gram has family in for the holiday.

and I want to cook. gonna try and make my dressing in a GF format...

so I asked K if she had plans. nope. just the cowboys game Shocked

I think I can overlook it as other than a character flaw...

if she can find a way to live with the dolphins.

anyways, we are going to plan the menu tomorrow as we wander around the zoo. with her little boy...

I triple checked my parachute.

I think I will be ok.

it's been a hella long time...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:14 pm
@Rockhead,
<big big big smile>
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Smiling and happy for you. You're going to the zoo!

With K and a kid. Great news.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:26 pm
Cool.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:29 pm
Ohweee.....

Lovely to hear. Makes me happy.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:29 am
@mismi,
thank you all for the well wishes...

I was over to mr vw's adding points to my karma account.

his foster son was fixing his oldsmobile. or trying to.

we did front brakes, an oil change, and a correction of his alignment from his attempt last weekend to change his own outer tie rods.

he missed.

I showed him how to do a tape measure alignment...
hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBrzXeJnYiQ&feature=related

we test drove it and he's good now.

but I wanted to be in bed long before this...

gonna try and be up early so I can get to human before noon.

kinda jittery...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:41 am
Love is in the air...

Just checkin' in and wishing you a happy thanksgiving week. Hope the holidays goes smashingly well.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:46 am
@Ceili,
I'm 7+ years of flying solo.

and things are best left to proceed slowly...

dunno.

I kinda wanted to try it once without the little guy. just to decide some compatibility before trying on the kid.

my last relationship left several very deep scars.

but I'm in for the first turn anyways.

and having another celiac to cook with is verra exciting.

especially a pretty one that smells nice.

I've missed perfume and lace...
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:49 am
@Rockhead,
Here's a GH stuffing recipe from one of those magazine sites I gave you. Sounds like it would be a good base for you to expand upon, replacing the dairy stuff of course.

http://www.delightglutenfree.com/recipes?id=137

Basic Celery-Onion Stuffing

Ingredients
Conversion Chart
½ loaf gluten-free bread, approximately 4 cups cubed (Udi's used in this recipe)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 ½ cups celery, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 ¼ cup turkey, chicken, or vegetable stock
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1/8 cup fresh sage, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, removed from stem
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup whole milk
2 large eggs

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place bread slices on baking sheet and generously butter each side.
Place in oven and toast for approximately 2 minutes a side, until each side is browned.
Remove from oven. Set aside.
Drop oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Once bread is cool to the touch, cut into cubes and place in large mixing bowl; set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt. Then add celery and onion. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes to soften—do not brown; turn down heat if vegetables begin to brown.
Add to pan ingredients from stock through black pepper and let simmer for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and take out bay leaf; let cool about 5 minutes.
Beat together milk and eggs.
When stock mixture has cooled, pour in milk mixture and whisk together.
Pour over bread cubes in bowl and toss together with hands. Place in prepared baking dish or divide over greased muffin tins.
Cover, place in oven, and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove cover and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until set and browned on top.
Ceili

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:52 am
@Rockhead,
I have a feeling that you'd be a wonderful beau. Forget the past.. it's behind you for a reason. But slooooow is good. I'm pulling for you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Here's another one, with sausage:

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten-free-cornbread-sausage-stuffing-3038-1.html

Gluten-Free Cornbread Sausage Stuffing
SERVES 10 TO 12 WITH LEFTOVERS

There is a decidedly Southern twist to this stuffing. The gluten-free cornbread mix makes it simple. Prepare the cornbread the night before, crumble it and then let it sit out overnight to dry out; this way it will soak up all the fabulous flavor of the sausage, vegetables and stock. This recipe can be made egg-free with good results.

Cornbread
2 cups gluten-free cornbread mix
2 large eggs*
1½ cups water
⅓ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar

Stuffing
1 (16-ounce) package country sausage, crumbled
1 cup unsalted butter, dairy-free butter alternative or olive oil, divided
1 medium bunch celery, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 small leeks, cleaned and sliced
2 large eggs**, beaten
1½ tablespoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1-2 cups gluten-free chicken stock, divided

1. The night before roasting the turkey, prepare Cornbread: Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with gluten-free non-stick cooking spray. Whisk cornbread mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl just until combined. A few lumps are ok. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cornbread cool. Then crumble it onto a baking dish and let it dry out overnight.

2. The morning of roasting the turkey, place cornbread crumbles in a large mixing bowl.

3. Heat the sausage over medium heat until fully cooked. Pour off the fat and add ½ cup butter, dairy-free butter or olive oil. Add the chopped celery, onions and leeks. Cook until the vegetables are translucent but not too browned, about 10 minutes. Place the sausage-vegetable mixture into the bowl with the cornbread crumbles.

4. Melt ¼ cup butter. Add it to mixture, along with the eggs, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add just enough chicken stock to make the mixture moist but not mushy.

5. Stuff the turkey cavities with some of the stuffing, being careful not to overfill. Place the rest of the stuffing into a greased casserole dish. Pour about ¼ cup more stock over the top of the stuffing in the casserole dish. Dot the top with the remaining ¼ cup butter that has been cut into small pieces or drizzle with remaining ¼ cup olive oil. Place dish in 350° oven and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Each serving contains 292 calories, 20g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 85mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 7g protein. To lower sodium, eliminate salt and use low-sodium broth.

*For Egg-Free Cornbread, omit eggs and reduce water by ¼ cup. Mix 3 teaspoons gluten-free egg replacer with 4 tablespoons warm water. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water to make a paste. Combine egg replacement mixture and cornstarch mixture; use this to replace eggs in step 1.

**For Egg-Free Stuffing, omit 2 eggs.Combine ¼ cup cornstarch and 1 tablespoon arrowroot with 3 tablespoons cold stock or cold water to make a paste. Use to replace eggs in step 4.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:59 am
This one sounds interesting too:

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/gluten_free_roast_chicken_fig_pancetta_stuffing-2266-1.html

Gluten-Free Roast Chicken with Fig and Pancetta Stuffing

½ cup figs, diced
½ cup dry white wine
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ pound pancetta or gluten-free bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon
dry, divided
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
2 cups coarse gluten-free bread crumbs
1 cup gluten-free chicken broth, divided
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 whole chicken, deboned (about 3 pounds) or 3 whole
boneless chicken breasts, skin on

1. Place diced figs into ½ cup wine. Set aside.

2. In a large frying pan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook about one minute. Add pancetta or bacon and rosemary and sauté until bacon is a light brown, about 5 minutes.

3. Add red pepper and spinach and sauté for 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl to cool slightly.

4. Remove figs from wine, reserving wine for later use. Add bread crumbs, ½ cup broth, figs and salt and pepper to bowl and mix well.

5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken skin side down on a clean surface. If using chicken breast, first pound the breast between two sheets of plastic wrap to ¼-inch thickness. Lay breasts skin side down, overlapping slightly.

6. Line the center of the meat with stuffing. Pull up the sides to meet in center, overlapping slightly. Truss with kitchen or butcher’s string.

7. Rub outside of the skin with olive oil, remaining rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

8. Place in 9x13-inch baking dish on center rack in preheated oven. Baste with reserved wine and remaining broth. Bake for 50 minutes or until desired doneness.

9. Let sit for 10 minutes to set flavors. Then carve into slices and serve.
---------------------------
Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
MAKES 1 CUP
Your favorite homemade gluten-free bread makes ideal bread crumbs for special dishes. Store crumbs in the freezer and use when needed.

2 thick slices gluten-free bread or 1-2 gluten-free rolls
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons dried herbs (parsley, basil, thyme or combination), optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Cut bread into chunks and pulse in a food processor until coarse crumbs form.

3. Place crumbs in a small bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs, if desired.

4. Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

5. Store crumbs in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:47 am
havin' a cuppa chai. with honey...

had my shower.

decided on a black dress shirt with old formerly black jeans. and bob's string tie. black loafers with tassels.

not too dressy, but definitely not my normal mechanic's wear.

looks like it's gonna be a beautiful day weatherwise.

and my guts are good...
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 03:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Love it when your guts are good.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:48 pm
@mismi,
if only my feet were as good.

the zoo is a very large place, and my loafers are unfamiliar to my dogs...

but it all went very well.

I stopped and got some tacos from my street vendor buddy and landed over to mr vw's.

sorting the record collection to sell some of it. mebbe...

lotso very cool stuff.

I'm sposed to call K if I find any Jackson Browne. she's a huge fan...
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Sounds lovely.

Got epsom salt? Works wonders on achey feet. pour some in a hot tub of water and put the dogs in.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:58 pm
@mismi,
I do when I finally land at home.

just running around here sockfooted...

it's just me and his critters, he went to a party...
mismi

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 07:05 pm
@Rockhead,
gotcha
Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 07:07 pm
@mismi,
I stopped at the store as I landed.

got everything I need to make 2 GF DF black forest sundaes.

just for me...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 03:31:40