Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Ceili

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@farmerman,
Oh yeah, all the articles say berries, specifically blueberries do especially well using this style of gardening.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:04 am
Most of mine will be framed, but this is a cross section of the mound design.

http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/raised-garden-bed-month.png

Two years later..

http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/raised-garden-beds.png
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:17 pm
@Ceili,
I'll consider it around the established edges of the pond garden. I have lotsa wood that is not of a caliber to be firewood. gonna hafta do something with it.

and that could be as good a windbreak as anything.

the problem is finding good soil to use. I don't have any high spots to take from. and I already used all the earth I got when I dug the pond.

hmmmm.

went and looked at hair sheep as me and smoky came back home. (we went to see the crispy kid . he's drinking again...)

he says ok. he kinda don't give a hoot what I do any more. we trust each other now...

gonna go work on what I started in the dark. before it's dark again...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:39 pm
Ive seen haybale and straw bale raised beds but the price of hay and starw is about 5 bucks a bale(if I use my own hay I charge myself that price because thats the breakdown when we buy it at a per ton price). SO a raised hay bale bed can cost up to 30 bucks just for the hay or straw. SO the TREX is cheaper really. It also looks real nice in the garden areas
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:05 pm
@farmerman,
what is involved in planting hay?

I have a retiring farmer that might let me grow some if I shared...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:10 pm
I need to get me some of those light the highway guys use. all my major construction activities are taking place by tiki torch light. and the wind is making that a non-plan tonight.

got both of my gates cut free from the chicken fence. gonna replant some better poles, and repair all the wire. 8 foot topped by double barbed wire should keep most of the predators at bay.

I'm cutting out all the trees except for the giant ones so the hawks will hafta work to get at them...

it's really starting to look nice, and they will have an unobstructed view of the pond garden until my trumpet creeper starts kickin' in...

I'm stoked.

gotta figger what's for dinner, and then Ima rig some lights and chop more volunteer elm trees. it's becoming very farmy.

Using the big axe makes me feel like a kid again. until tomorrow...
JPB

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Stoked is good!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:15 pm
@JPB,
I'm using third gear a lot.

I've not had one for several years now. since before you kids visited for sure.

one of these days Ima try out overdrive.

If I can get to where I can run hard and fast, the sky is the limit.

Ima hafta shower again tonight. I'm all sweaty from playing lumberjack, and there's woodchips all stuck in my pony tail again...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:16 pm
run is of course a figure of speech.

my hips are still very not up to speed with the top half of me...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:49 pm
ok, gotta get moving again. smoky's rasslin' is over at ten, and I still need some more water. gonna be another shower before bed night. I sleep better that way anyhows...

and Ima run a cord so I can light up the night in the work zone. found an old washtub on a stand with the cool hooky drain hose thingy. it is gonna be my new solvent tank. I have all the pieces, Ima go head and make one so I don't gotta run over to mr vw's and clean stuff. (and I can use it to clean my guns when I paint if I do it right.)

and I gotta go now to where I get signal so I can cll mr vw and ask him about his electric fence.

I kinda think I wanna say to hell with it and start with goats. If I only got 2, how hard can it be to keep track of them...
JPB

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:52 pm
@Rockhead,
how hard is it to keep track of two cats?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:54 pm
@JPB,
not nice.

he's still acting as if nothing happened.

and I'm not opening the screen until it is fixed. gonna hafta learn to be a screen guy...
JPB

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:09 pm
@Rockhead,
He's just letting you know who's really in charge.

I just clapped my hands to signal to the boys that it was time to go to bed. That means they go out into the LR and I shut the hall door to the bedrooms. Mongo ran to the LR. Kato booked it into the BR, jumped up onto the bed, flopped down on my side of the bed and became a total blob of dead weight. Kato doesn't run or jump much these days. He was a man on a mission.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:15 pm
@Rockhead,
If I can fix a screen, I know you can fix a screen.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
sad part is, I even have the tools. back in my furniture business days, I spent a month refitting panels with new cloth for a big firm in KC.

it's the same technique, I've just never done it with screen wire instead of expensive textiles...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
that's kinda how it's always been, no?

are you allowed to work on stuff in the house still?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:56 pm
I solved my lighting problem.

I forgot I have 6 LED solar spotlights shining on a dead empty pond...

doh.

now I can see where I'm axeing,,,
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:43 am
@Rockhead,
solar spotlights sounds kinda like what we require in new home construction, in some areas the codes require braille lightswitches. NO ****.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 03:00 am
@farmerman,
where I live, the codes are ~ stay off my land, it's nunya...

gotta crash.

the bad news is I'm promised over to the salvage by noon...

nytol.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:19 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
are you allowed to work on stuff in the house still?

Occasionally.

Actually made some solar screens for the house, using "nylon" fabric.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:29:59