Random thoughts from the moose cave.

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:35 pm
@Rockhead,
I planted little peat "coins" witha mesculen , pepper grass and deer tongue lettuce mix. Then when they grew, I transplanted them into the garden. First I needed to get a new companion planting list and I found one from Wikipedia. It listed veggies, flowers, fruits, trees etc, A good list and it gave reasons why and why not plant two or more plant types near each other.
One year I planted onions near my pes and they bothe got stunted. I learned that lesson early but I keep seeing new information as new plants become available.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
got my truck parts and made a final chicken decision...
well, what you getting?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:55 pm
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman, any idea how many seasons you have to let pass before you can plant onions where peas were and vice versa?

Can you quicken the waiting period with soil amendments?

I'm running out of previously unused territory to plant my tomatoes and need to have the peas and onions trade places this season.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:19 pm
it's dark...

put 16 rosy sharons along the drive. still need more to complete it. there's plenty more where these came from.

put a yellow berried holly along the south edge where I am building the windbreak.

and a deep purple lilac at the corner of the cabin. (I have poor luck transplanting the lilacs, so we'll see how it goes)

and I filled out the vinca a little bit.

it's starting to look like spring here...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
"well, what you getting? "

heat / ac functions, a blower fan, and radio if everything works right.

or did you mean the chicken thing...

gonna figure up what the freight charges will be and get me a dozen from Macmurray. gram wants to make it my birthday present, and that's about when they will show up.

that gives me plenty o time to make the henhouse ready for occupancy...

my buddy was wrong about finding any locally. I got lotsa blank stares.

firkin kansas...
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 09:09 pm
making leftover soup tonight. early indications are it will be a smashing success. and by the time it's ready I won't care, I'll be so flippin hungry...

mr vw is coming out tomorrow afternoon. gotta clean up inside enough for 3 peoples and two cats.

stinky will have to give up his laundry chair...

I scouted a property on my way home for his brother, and they are gonna go check it out and then come on out here. he wants his corned beef and cabbage I promised him. his brother and I will have tuna salad sammiches. I will borrow some real bread from smoky for him...

I'm wound for sound. think Ima go play in the shop and see if I can take my edge off.

more and more I find myself in 3rd gear lately. kinda cool...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:14 pm
my soup is tasty. and I had an egg salad sammich to tide me over till it was ready.

rib soup. with the stock made from my bbq adventures. and some taters needed using. dint even needa add the noodles I bought just in case.

something outside smells wonderfullllllllll. mebbe the henbit, it's purple everywhere. waves of scent that seem to come from nowhere...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:46 pm
I think I forgot to mention, my peach tree is loaded with fiery pink blossoms.

it is firkin beautiful.

I gotta charge up my camera batteries. siriusly...

gonna take my happy pill and crash.

lotsa do tomorrow...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:32 am
@Rockhead,
I meant what breed of chicken are yo decided on?

A mix of breeds? or just one?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:04 am
@farmerman,
I'm getting araucanas. that's been the plan all along, I was just hoping to find some locally.

ain't gonna happen...

time to order some.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
spring is back strong today.

gonna finish my cuppa, open up all the portholes in the cabin, and get my arse outside in the sunshine.

time to clean out the chicken pen. the feeder Ima need for sheeps is in there, hafta flip it up and try to roll it out. I'm certain it was put there with the now immobile tractor that lives in my shop...

mr vw should be calling soon to say they are on their way. gotta get some pants on and get going.

shorts today. blinding white leg warnings are in effect...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm
having some leftover soup. and a tuna sammich.

got all the watering done I was 'posed to do while I was drafting the winning fantasy baseball team. hadda do it in the dark. but I got all my transplants wet again. my lilacs picked back up. they may survive yet...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 11:57 pm
popsicle time...

busy day it was.

took the woodstove to the shop. (only way to fit 3 people in here)

and most of the houseplants now live outdoors. bubba still lives indoors...

phase 2 is gonna be verra cool. I think.

got everything ready to order my chickens except the scratch. gonna go see gram monday and get b-day money. there is a chance I can still get delivery before May...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:20 am
dirty words...

two assholes on giant mowers fired up at the crack of 8 this morning. right next door on the empty property. it's so wet with dew that it's gonna look like hell.

I wanna find out where they live and go fire up my chainsaw next to their house at about 11:45 pm. just barely within a reasonable time frame....

damnit.

this will be a weird day for sure.

firkin 4 hours of sleep. and awakened by roaring bullshit...

the damned sun is in my eyes at my desk. no wonder I never get up this early. and on sunday even...
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:31 am
@Rockhead,
rain, bt we needed it.

Im gonna plant out my started pots of mesculen/ deer tongue lettuce
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:35 am
@farmerman,
every time you say that, I think mescaline...

and a bunch of spacey stoned out deers.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
speaking of animal habits...

I've decided to start my herding business with sheep...

not because I like them better, I don't... I want goats. and some day I will prolly have goats.

but this ain't it...

looking at other folks's operations, my current state of fence is not up to goats. and my budget is not up to building new fences.

I can move the fence that surrounds the vegetable garden for no reason, and use it to separate some pastures. my neighbor has a nice fenced pasture that I can graze at will. (I work on his cars verra cheap)

If I am successful with sheeps, then I can make a switch to goats...
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@Rockhead,
look into electric fencing. Yo can string about a mile of three strand power lines with a really good solar charger and all the lines and posts for under 700 bucks
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:28 am
@farmerman,
that's where I'm heading.

but $700 is the moon at the moment...

Ima practice with sheeps while I plan.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:30 am
heh...

turned in my chair to head for the open but for the screen door, and I caught stinky having a tail spasm.

the doves are bathing, and it gets him really excited watching...

they were both on tables in the great big sunbeam vacated by the tropical houseplants when I was so rudely awakened.

sharing it even...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:13:10