DECLINES IN FISH STOCKS WORLDWIDE_the ecology of exinction

roger

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:01 am
@Ionus,
Well, I was more commenting on the article's use of combined English and metric weights leading to confusion.

Surely you wouldn't get strung up for stating the obvious.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:44 am
Universities of MAryland Marine SCiences and Delaware College of MArine SCiences are working on bluefin tuna spawn. However, many times when someone starts a big research project on ag production of something, it takes away attention from the fact that bluefin are dangerously overfished right now.
The catches need to be curtailed as a conservation technique.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:25 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

I feel quite sure than not everyone would agree with that. The fishermen for example.

But as long as the Universities of MAryland Marine SCiences and Delaware College of MArine SCiences are working on bluefin tuna spawn we can all sleep easier in our beds.

What do bluefins eat to get big and fat?

I hate tuna. Give me a sweet juicy peach anytime.

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:28 am
@spendius,
Doesn't evolution suggest that if there were no bluefin tuna another species will become big and fat?

Surely depopulation of humans would save the bluefin.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
@spendius,
glad to note that spendi is still a jerkoff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:51 am
@roger,
A metric ton is one thousand kilos--which is 2,200 pound U.S. Standard. I don't know how much that is in Imperial measure, if there is a difference. It's close enough for these sorts of calculations, though.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 11:25 am
@Setanta,
There endeth the introductory course in simple sums for the sophomore infant's class in mathematics.

In Imperial measure it is 2,200 pounds assuming a pound in the US is 16 ounces or, metrically, 453.582 grammes. So every metric tonne of horseshit imported from France, for example, would have to have 40 pounds added to it to make an Imperial ton and if they take horses on board to make up the difference they can evade customs duties on 40 pounds of horseshit for every tonne they have on board.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I am certain you are aware of the global food crises, so what will people eat if we conserve everything conservationists want to conserve ? We dont have enough land for everyone to go vedge...who volunteers to die ? Anyone ?
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:34 am
@Ionus,
You seem to take an issue and then try to reach for the overlly dramatic. We dont have a food shortage problem anywhere. We have problems of corrupt governments and bad distribution systems.
ANyway, based upon your drama, Im not sure we are ever gonna feed the "masses" with choice bits of tuna sashimi (the nori alone is limiting).

The interesting thing is that , if we DONT practice conservation, we wont have the amount of tuna anyway, do you realize that the population is crashing to a level that wont sustain harvests?

AS we deplete stocks in numbers greater than carrying capacity, each additional individual we take means that we drive the entire species to possible extinction and alas, no more sushi (can put sausages over the rice).

UNfortunately conservation is the only means we have to stop the decline.

The AMerican regional lobster industries are examples of management and conservation in prctice. Lobsters have a strict season , fishing water delineation, and catch and size limits for lobstermen. This has helped keep the lobster as close to a managed species as farm raised turkeys. The lobstermen have all realized that they dont want to lose this resource from one or two decades of overfishing (as was beginning to happen in the 1980's), so in MAine, theyve banded together to help develop a sustainable industry that employs thousands and yet controls the depletion of a stock by overfishing.

Even sport lobstering is controlled pretty closely in MAine.
In Canada the seasons and licensing requiremets are even more strict. Canadians use a moving season where different parts of the MAritimes have different opening and closing dates.
Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 06:20 am
It's a little much to suggest that we haven't the land to feed everyone while thousands upon thousands of farmers use their land to grow crops from which ethanol destined to be fuel is produced.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 06:50 am
@Setanta,
farmerman started a thread once to promote more production of bio-fuel.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:38 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
then try to reach for the overlly dramatic
Coming from the greenie perspective I wouldnt have mentioned the overly dramatic if I were you.
Quote:
We dont have a food shortage problem anywhere.

There are many references if you google it. I found this one quickly, but it is typical.
http://gulfnews.com/opinions/editorials/current-food-shortage-result-of-high-demand-1.86689

Quote:
ANyway, based upon your drama,
If you are well fed then you probably have the attitude of let them eat cake. You probably dont see any drama in starvation unless you are the one starving.

Quote:
do you realize that the population is crashing to a level that wont sustain harvests?
Do you realise that I dont care ? One less big fish in the oceans is a good idea for people who eat little fish - most of the world's poor for example.
As you said -
Quote:
Im not sure we are ever gonna feed the "masses" with choice bits of tuna sashimi (the nori alone is limiting).

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:40 am
@Setanta,
You have just explained one of the reasons we dont have the land and yet you dont think there is a problem ?
Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:56 am
That we don't have sufficient land is an ipse dixit claim on your part. I believe that we are near carrying capacity, but i don't believe that we have reached that point yet. We could free up a lot of land which is currently used for grazing, but no good deed goes unpunished. The reliance upon feed lot cattle, combined with the practice of feeding the a slurry made from the unused portions of slaughtered livestock lead to the BSE problem.

No, i don't have any reason to assume that there is a problem, least of all simply because you say as much. I'd suggest that if you want to play Chicken Little on this issue, that you at least cobble together some back up for your claim.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:23 am
@Ionus,
Read up on the European Union's "set aside" policy Io. How much food could be grown on golf courses, sports grounds, parks and private gardens?
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:37 am
@Setanta,
Ionus gets himself into logic mires and then drives even deeper into the ridiculous. On another thread he claims that we have T rex DNA .

Now Im a :greenie" because I want some conservation practices to be instituted to ASSIST IN THE SUSTAINABILITY OF TARGET SPECIES. One of the biggest target food fish in the planet was the ATlantic cod which is now basically extinct to the market. Will it come back? will it continue to decline even though weve outlawed fishing for it?

So whats the use of this species as a food fish NOW ??

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ionus gets himself into logic mires and then drives even deeper into the ridiculous.
As I said on that other thread, I expect an apology. Now I expect one in this thread too seeming you raised the matter.

Quote:
ASSIST IN THE SUSTAINABILITY OF TARGET SPECIES.
Saving one species is designed to amuse those who are slow witted and easily distracted.

Quote:
....the biggest target food fish in the planet was the ATlantic cod ....So whats the use of this species as a food fish NOW ??
Have you given up on discussing tuna ?
Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
ipse dixit
Who ever left a legal dictionary open has done us a great disservice.

Quote:
We could free up a lot of land which is currently used for grazing
Are you thinking of the land south of the Sahara ? The grazing land in South America or Australia ? Or are you Amero-centric and dont know about the rest of the world ? It is interesting to note you disagree with most relief agencies. Perhaps they should hire someone as dipsy fixit as you.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Read up on the European Union's "set aside" policy Io. How much food could be grown on golf courses, sports grounds, parks and private gardens?
Seriuosly, you dont expect the rich to become generous despite centuries of acquired knowledge, do you ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
As I said on that other thread, I expect an apology. Now I expect one in this thread too seeming you raised the matter.

I only apologize if Im wrong. Seems you were trying to put out some incorrect information. Ill not say anything further,I dont want to embarass.

Quote:
Saving one species is designed to amuse those who are slow witted and easily distracted.
Youre getting a bit hysterical no? I take it that YOU dont want to worry about bluefin tuna going extinct? OK, Ill buy your feelings. But I dont get the relationship to the slow witted, because its gonna take the smarter ones to solve the problem .

Quote:
Quote:
....the biggest target food fish in the planet was the ATlantic cod ....So whats the use of this species as a food fish NOW ??Have you given up on discussing tuna ?
NO, but since Im dealing with someone who is really trying to sound slow witted, Ill go slowly.

THE ... EXAMPLE .... OF ... CODFISH.... WAS.... TO ... SERVE .... AS.... AN .... EXAMPLE .... OF .... WHAT.... "NO CONSERVATION" .... OR ..... " ESTREME OVERFISHING" .... CAN.... YIELD.

WE are now in a crash program (Canada and US) to try to bring the codfish back from the brink.