How do I know if I need to replace my DVD drive in my laptop?

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:30 pm
How do I know if I need to replace my DVD drive in my laptop or if its something else wrong with my computer?

In the past, my DVD drive would disappear from My Computer and I couldn't even open it up with the button. No problem. I'd reboot and most of the time it would be there. If a reboot didn't work, I'd try to see if I could watch DVD's by circumnavigating the typical Windows startup and go into a quick start up media program by pressing not the on/off power button but the quick start DVD/media program.

For at least a couple of months, I haven't had a working DVD drive. My Computer doesn't recognize it as a drive. It doesn't recognize DVDs or audio discs. My quick start DVD/media program doesn't recognize that I have a DVD drive either.

Also, everytime I start up my iTunes I also get this message:
http://i46.tinypic.com/nlolev.jpg
I already tried to reinstall iTunes but that was a no go.
Because I think it maybe a hardware issue given it doesn't open when I press the button, should I just buy a new DVD drive and replace it. Or is there a way to test out things like the motherboard connection and the DVD section of the registry, etc?

My device manager says I have problems with a couple of items. Don't know exactly what they are and would like to see if they are relevant to my DVD
problem.

Oh! And I can't seem to find my DVD drive on my Device Manager.
http://i45.tinypic.com/zuo35s.jpg

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:35 pm
It really does sound like you need a new DVD drive, and given how cheap they are these days (you can get one for $19 on newegg and tigerdirect) you might as well just go for it, even if it weren't the hardware it might fix your problem and at that kind of price and with that history of problems with the current one it would be an insta-buy for me.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Doh! I just noticed the word "laptop", which changes everything.

Neeevermind. But still, it does sound like your DVD drive is dead.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Do you recognize those device manager problems? Could they be a small set of symptoms of a bigger problem?

I'm going to check out the DVD drives now.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Doh! I just noticed the word "laptop", which changes everything.

Neeevermind. But still, it does sound like your DVD drive is dead.

I have a Dell XPS M1730. I thought that DVD drives in laptops were upgradeable, non?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Would an external DVD drive (USB based) be workable for PC games?
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
i don't see why not, i have an external dvd burner, every once in awhile i'll get an error while burning but rarely
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I have a Dell XPS M1730. I thought that DVD drives in laptops were upgradeable, non?

In theory, it's just not as easy and cheap as desktop though, at $18 for desktop DVD drives I'd rather just buy a new one that even bother figuring out if the old one is really broken if I even suspect it is. But a laptop is a bit harder and more expensive (and I bet asking Dell directly about it is your best option).

Thing is, if it isn't showing up in device manager it really does sound dead.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks Djjd.
Quote:
every once in awhile i'll get an error while burning but rarely

The same can be said about internal DVD burners. So they're pretty much the same when it comes to reading and writing speed connection wise?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have another tab opened to the Dell site. I'm looking around. I'll try their tech support before I buy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
yep, don't know off hand what the specs are on mine
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:56 pm
My laptop DVD drive died about a year ago (well, it will still read files but won't write without massive errors). After about a dozen coasters, I bought an LG external (cheap at BB); it works great.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 10:11 pm
Most excellent news! I just finished a tech support session with Dell Tech Support! Most friendly and helpful. It turns out that my system is still under warranty. They will be sending out a technician to replace my DVD drive free under warranty! Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

yep, don't know off hand what the specs are on mine

8X DVD +/1 RW Drive
Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's fabulous news! None of my stuff ever breaks until at least a day or two after the warranty expires LOL!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
great news on the warranty

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/S167-4524-main-sp.jpg

CD / DVD type: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
CD / DVD read speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
CD / DVD write speed: 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD±R DL)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
That's a slick looking DVD drive. Cool
djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
i've been pretty happy with it, it's a couple years old and still going strong, and it's a faster cd burner than the dvd drive in my mac mini
0 Replies