who is the best photographer in contemporary art in your opinion?

zhjuan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:58 pm
who is the best photographer in contemporary art in your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,093 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:49 pm
@zhjuan,
I have no idea who is the best, but I have several present favorites. Photographers vary so much in subject matter and technique, and my interest in different ones varies over time.

One of my present favorites is Sebastaio Salgado -
http://www.unicef.org/salgado/bio.htm
http://www.photography-now.com/pn/Bilder/Bilder/gross/T56557B008384.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lNfyoVXIQx0/SVgg4g8VFkI/AAAAAAAAAQE/fw3N8OBxfNY/s400/Sebastiao+salgado-.jpg

Quoting from the blog where I found that photo - [email protected]..

"Sebastiao Salgado is a master photographer from Brazil. He began his professional career as an economist, but after taking pictures on a business trip to Africa he realized that he had found his real passion and talent. Sebastiao's approach to photography is all about process. First of all he (still) shoots film on a Leica 35mm camera and uses a small selection of wide angle lenses. the film that he primarily shoots in a 3500ASA (super fast, super grainy) film that allows him to shoot at pretty much any light level without the use of intrusive flash bulbs. I once read in an interview with Salgado that will visit town or community that he is documenting and live with the people for 30 or 40 days before he starts photography. He likes to become invisible and get very close to his subjects (remember he primarily uses wide angle lenses). He also said in that interview that his photographs are not taken but given to him from his subjects. He rates his 3500 ASA film at 1600 and sometimes 800. In his minds eye he knows what he is trying to achieve in terms of grain structure and depth of field in the negatives that he will receive from the lab weeks after he has shot the images. For Salgado, his film choice, the way he rates it, the lenses that camera that he chooses and the way he interacts with his subjects is a part of his process. Of course Salgado has an incredible eye; but that's only a part of how he creates the outcome of the images that he makes. We must also keep in mind that shooting film limits him to 36 shots per roll on 35mm film. The Leica is a manual focus and manual shutter camera. He has to be selective with what he shoots and he can't roll off 35 shots at the press of a button like you can with digital photography. He doesn't have the luxury of seeing what he has just shot instantly so that he can adjust composition or camera settings; all of that has to be done in his mind. When I was getting my MFA and I was reviewing his work for the first time I used to be baffled at how he was able to make his images look and feel like that. He was a magician to me and no other photographer that I have studied made images quite like his...maybe just as great but not like. He had a signature style that was nearly impossible to reproduce. There is magic in his process."

I also like Marc Riboud -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Riboud

[img]/2007/07/0042.jpg?w=500[/img] from http://streetpulse.files.wordpress.com
On the Train to Guangzhou, China 1957. ©Marc Riboud.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@zhjuan,
I truly and deeply love the work of William Wegman, Sally Mann, and Michal Rovner.

I admire the works of William Eggleston and Cindy Sherman.

I'll have t o think about it a bit further. Those listed above are my favorites. I seen a lot of contemporary photography but I'm a tad slow in recalling the lesser familiar names.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like Eggleston too, enjoy Sherman, don't know Rovner, have mixed feeling on Sally Mann. Wegman started to bother me after a while (I liked his work for years before that. I have unresolved issues about costuming dogs.) I don't know much about his photos apart from the dog series.
A friend had a studio next to his at one point. I should look up more of his work, and ask her about her take on his work (I always listen to her artistic opinions, if not agree).
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I kind of lament the lack of perception and perspective held by the average netizen, let alone the average a2ker regarding the realm of contemporary art.

I guess when there is so much pop culture overflowing our collective plates, filled from the all-you-can eat media buffet then the errantly labeled high brow world of art and artists is relegated to be enjoyed by only the connoisseurs in their own private uberniche market and thusly becomes a cultural outlier at best.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I love his use of the large format Polaroid when shooting his "characterured" dogs.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I see that marc riboud photo didn't show up (it did when I tested it).
In any case, that streetpulse link, http://streetpulse.files.wordpress.com, is one I'm saving.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
My friend N. knew him about the time when Man Ray was quite aged, and told me of his care for the dog..
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I just adore those weimaraners.
0 Replies

zhjuan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I am with your point.

'Culture at large, the society that has engendered kitsch, is now set in opposition to the values and practices of the authentic avant-garde'. Greenberg.

"Art and cultural consumption are predisposed consciously and deliberately or not, to fulfil a social function of legitimating social difference". Art in theory, 1900-2000.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 09:02 am
@zhjuan,
Well, that was well said or at least well quoted and it bears repeating to whomever will read and contribute to this thread.
0 Replies