How to capture Netflix live video streams.

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:35 am
Hello guys, I was curious to see if it is possible to record Netflix movies so I was wondering if any of you knows how to capture Netflix video streaming . What can I use to record and save Netflix video streaming: just about any app or I need a Netflix Video Downloader especially for this job?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 14,901 • Replies: 17

Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:27 am
@adrianah,
It's possible to record Netflix movies, but it's illegal.

It is not possible to record and save Netflix video streaming and even when it was (briefly) the file is protected (encoded) with DRM and would not be viewable without authorization from Netflix.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:44 am
@Irishk,
It's possible to record anything you can see and/or hear. Just capture the decoded output. If you can see or hear it your computer is decoding it.

Of course, that doesn't make it legal or anything, just saying that it is theoretically possible to record anything you can watch yourself.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:50 am
This is undoubtedly stealing, and it is illegal. It is also foolish-- there are much easier ways to steal movies that don't involve making a connection to netflix.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
True. Personally, I'd never try it for fear of having my account cancelled (assuming Netflix has a capability to detect the pirating of their streams). What I really doubt, though, is whether the captured video would be watchable, and if not, the OP will have wasted a lot of time and effort for little or nothing.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:01 pm
@Irishk,
Netflix is unlikely to catch you, but yes I agree it's not a great way to pirate movies anyway.

Thing is, I suspect the OP is doing Q&A spam and that he was planning to come back with another account to answer the question with a link to commercial software, so I'd not worry about the OP too much unless they come back and engage like a real user.
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, phooey LOL! I can usually spot those (spammers) quickly but I've seen this question on some of the audio/video forums and they're always quick to point out the illegality, plus the fact that it can't be done easily or satisfactorily.

adrianah

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:22 am
@Irishk,
Well gee thanks for the extremely warm welcome guys. I am not interested in pirating anything and my question on how to capture Neflix live video streams was mainly out of pure curiosity. The reason I started wondering this is because I wanted to know if I would be able to capture and save a couple of Netflix movies to my cell phone and watch them when I am on the go and don't have my pc near by.
If I wanted to pirate movies or do something illegal I just would have used some torrents and definitely wouldn't have asked this question on how to record Netflix movies here.
At least, it's good to know that theoretically it would be possible to record anything I watch on pc, though I'd love to hear a more specific solution on how exactly do you do this.
Irishk

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:07 am
@adrianah,
adrianah wrote:
The reason I started wondering this is because I wanted to know if I would be able to capture and save a couple of Netflix movies to my cell phone and watch them when I am on the go and don't have my pc near by.

Netflix is considering an app for the iPhone.

Quote:
If I wanted to pirate movies or do something illegal I just would have used some torrents and definitely wouldn't have asked this question on how to record Netflix movies here.

IMHO the easiest way to do it for now would be to buy the movie, rip it and transfer it. Very simple and plenty of freeware available to accomplish it.

Quote:
At least, it's good to know that theoretically it would be possible to record anything I watch on pc, though I'd love to hear a more specific solution on how exactly do you do this.

Netflix made it more difficult when they switched to MS Silverlight a few years ago, which, as I understand it, splits the files into separate audio and video streams, each encoded with DRM. Prior to that, it was pretty simple, but even now there is software (google it--I found two) that says it will defeat even Silverlight. It's still not legal, though, IMO.

Welcome to Able2know. Sorry for any earlier miscommunication; it was never my intention to offend.

adrianah

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:00 am
@Irishk,
Well, not offended but I do accept your apologies, I guess.
Cool, it's good news that they are even considering to actually make an app for the Iphone that could let you watch Netflix video streaming on Iphone. But this is just theoretical news, who knows how long will it take for this to actually happen. Plus I saw there in that article that you will need a Wi-Fi connection in order to access Netflix movies, so what's the big deal then? You'd still be dependent upon the internet connection.
Anyways, thanks for your suggestion, I did not know that Netflix video streaming is indeed drm'ed. So I guess I' ll google for some apps that could theoretically be able to record Netflix movies.
Just out of theoretical curiosity, of course.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:12 am
@adrianah,
adrianah wrote:
Well gee thanks for the extremely warm welcome guys.

Sorry about that, but there have been a few recent cases of Q&A spam for video capture so it seemed likely.

Quote:

As long as we are talking about video recording theory it's legal for us to answer this (according to the DMCA it's illegal for a website to even host instructions on how to circumvent copyright):

The theory is that if your computer can play it then it can already decode it. So you record the output. An example of this (though the quality wouldn't be great) is that you could use Cam Studio, a free screen capture program that can also capture audio from output.

There are probably better ways than that for cases like online video played through flash and silverlight players, and for the most part they are actually grabbing the video file itself (in flash cases this is the .flv file). If you use an extension like Firebug in Firefox you can view what files are downloaded when you visit a page, and get the url of the video from there.

For non-DRM files that is all it usually takes to get the video (you just need a codec to play .flv in your current media player or a stand-alone FLV player) but for DRMed files you will likely need custom solutions that I can't help you with.
adrianah

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, but of course we are talking about video recording only in theory, I don't wanna circumvent anything or cause trouble round here. As I already said if I wanna pirate something I am pretty sure there are a ton of places I could go on the internet to do this.
So theoretically all that one would need to record Netflix movies would be a screen capture program. Though if the quality one would get after theoretically recording a movies with such an app is not too good that it's probably not worth the trouble anyways.
Or that depends on the app used for this sort of thing and some particular recording technique it uses?
Anyways, guess I'm gonna google a bit on video recording theory to get a clearer picture of all this stuff. I'm kinda new to all this.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@adrianah,
adrianah wrote:
So theoretically all that one would need to record Netflix movies would be a screen capture program.

In theory that is the way that will always work as long as long as you can play the video.

Quote:
Though if the quality one would get after theoretically recording a movies with such an app is not too good that it's probably not worth the trouble anyways.

Exactly! I wouldn't bother if this were the only way to do it.

Quote:
Or that depends on the app used for this sort of thing and some particular recording technique it uses?

Kinda sorta, but I don't want to confuse you. It most likely doesn't and most likely screen capture methods would all degrade the quality.

I can't check myself, because Netflix streaming is not available where I am but I suspect that the highest quality way of doing it would be to actually decode the stream itself, but that is where you get into shady territory and programs that may not work for very long (i.e. Netflix will play a cat and mouse game with them).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:00 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:

Thing is, I suspect the OP is doing Q&A spam and that he was planning to come back with another account to answer the question with a link to commercial software,

It's the old.... wait over a year to come back under another name to supply the spam answer... trick
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 07:00 pm
That's a really great program. I haven't used it for Netflix, though.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 09:45 pm
That was probably a reply to a spam post that was removed. Sometimes spammers find old topics through search engines and they've been leaving links on this one.
0 Replies

drakakis

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:36 pm
@adrianah,
Personally, I'm a loss as to why Netflix, or anyone else for that matter, uses DRM or goes to great links to prevent copying. As the OP pointed out, if I wanted a pristine digital copy there are plenty of places to get it. If I'm using Netflix, it's for the convenience and obviously I'm willing and able to pay for it. More people would be willing and able if they didn't have to jump through hoops to watch their films or make copies. DRM doesn't reduce pirating ... it provokes it!
0 Replies

tinatown

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:04 pm
I tried this out despite me thinking this was fake. But...it worked. lol Time to call in to work and go on a Netflix watching spree.
0 Replies