12
   

Marijuana: Does it kill brain cells or does it affect only the lungs?

 
 
Rockhead
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@RadAndRandom,
truthfully one would have to say that the first drug they all started with was most likely sugar.

let's ban that...
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:06 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Dont try after smoking.

I have never in my life smoked anything other than a few puffs of my father's pipe when I was about 8.

Nor have I ever partaken of any illegal drugs.

I do, however, know the meaning of the word "always", and I understand the limitations of correlational studies.

You continue to spout nonsense.
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:11 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
So if you have your way all drugs will be legal ?


Interesting question and one that should be the subject of debate.

Beginning with do you know of one drug that by making it illegal had stop or even slow down users from getting access to?

Name me one drug Ionus that by declaring it illegal had stop users from being able to buy within a short walk or drive from thier homes.

Then we had half of our prison population lock up for selling illegal drugs at one hell of a cost to the society in both in terms of keeping 500,000 men or so in prison let alone the killings and gangs the drugs trade now fund.

Mexico is now a killing ground within a few hundred miles of our borders because Marijuana is illegal here at the moment and the violence is now threatening our side of the border.

I think if I was the ruler of the world I would allow adults to use whatever drug they care to and make death the punishment for selling or giving children below 15 or so any drug.

That way drugs would not be funding crime and killings and at the same time protect children as the low finance rewards for selling drugs to children compare to the punishment would limit the harm to children to a must larger degree then is being done now.

At least with marijuana now becoming legal one engine of killing and crime in this country and Mexico will be slowly taken away.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:16 am
@RadAndRandom,
I said as a result of smoking as in a drug overdose my silly silly silly friend.

Your story could also cover driving without sleep or driving when you are upset about breaking up with your girlfriend or talking to that girlfreind on a cell phone.

Once more had anyone had die in the history of the human race from the drug actions on the body of marijuana and the answer would be hell no.
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:17 am
@BillRM,
You are both operating under an assumption that if drugs were legalized there would be no reason for criminal activities. Not so. There would still be a criminal element handling, making, and distributing drugs. The market would be controlled just in the same fashion as bootleg cigarretees and booze are handled today.
The taxation of controlled substances will still generate a nice profit margin for druggies
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Sorry I do not follow your logic here.

After alcohol ban was repeal it greatly cut the fundings of the crime gangs of that period and I do not know about you but I buy my alcohol in a license and legal stores not on the streets.

Where is this large bootleging market you are talking about?

Yes you will still have someone trying to work around the edges as you do with moving cigs from one state to another but it does not amount to a lot compare to the flood of money in the 1930s going into illegal alcohol sales.

Nothing is perfect in this world.

Where was the last time you hear of gangs killings over bootleg cigs or alcohol?
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:25 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Beginning with do you know of one drug that by making it illegal had stop or even slow down users from getting access to? Name me one drug Ionus that by declaring it illegal had stop users from being able to buy within a short walk or drive from thier homes.
I dont know of any in today's society except China.

Quote:
Then we had half of our prison population lock up for selling illegal drugs at one hell of a cost to the society in both in terms of keeping 500,000 men or so in prison let alone the killings and gangs the drugs trade now fund. Mexico is now a killing ground within a few hundred miles of our borders because Marijuana is illegal here at the moment and the violence is now threatening our side of the border.
Correct.

Quote:
I think if I was the ruler of the world I would allow adults to use whatever drug they care to and make death the punishment for selling or giving children below 15 or so any drug.
Incorrect. Applying the death penalty has never prevented crime. Making it legal would not stop the illegal trade to teenagers who are at their most vulnerable to physical and mental problems. 21 is when the human brain has stopped changing.

Quote:
That way drugs would not be funding crime and killings and at the same time protect children as the low finance rewards for selling drugs to children compare to the punishment would limit the harm to children to a must larger degree then is being done now.
Incorrect. There are several countries that already apply the death penalty to drug offences and these countries traffic huge amounts of drugs and have considerable problems with crime.

Quote:
At least with marijuana now becoming legal one engine of killing and crime in this country and Mexico will be slowly taken away.
Incorrect. You would simply be moving the goal posts to another drug.

You are ignoring the experience of China. They had a huge percentage of their population dependant on drugs and they stopped it by making it illegal.

Remember you are only doing this out of the goodness of your heart. You dont want drugs for yourself.
Rockhead
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
this thread has really gone south...


separation of marijuana from hard drugs makes sense to everyone except those profiting from it as it sits.

federal government definitely included.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:44 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Remember you are only doing this out of the goodness of your heart. You dont want drugs for yourself.


LOL still trying to pin me as a drug user? Anyone who dare to disagree with you must be a drugies it would seem.

You are indeed a funny man if not too bright of a man.
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:52 pm
@Rockhead,
We have a living experiment going on now. Lets see what happens in the Netherlands.
0 Replies
 
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:55 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
OL still trying to pin me as a drug user? Anyone who dare to disagree with you must be a drugies it would seem.
There you go again. Some of my friends are these druggies as you call them, but dont blame me if I use your words to attack your argument.

Quote:
You are indeed a funny man if not too bright of a man.
I have been called a lot of things, but anyone who wants credibility never calls me stupid. I wonder why that is ? Getting desperate ?
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:55 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Applying the death penalty has never prevented crime. Making it legal would not stop the illegal trade to teenagers who are at their most vulnerable to physical and mental problems. 21 is when the human brain has stopped changing.


Sorry but in the special case my one man rule would set up the death penalty would indeed work just fine concerning drugs dealings.

As all drugs for adults would be legal there would be little or no money to be make in selling drugs to children the only ones who could not buy it legally.

So who would risk death to made a very few dollars selling it to children?
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:15 pm
@Ionus,
Oh Ionus in my one man world rule the ones who are stupid enough to still sell to children for a few dollars would be hung in public and their bodies let to rot slowly along major roadways.
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah, we tried that Miss William, it was called the Middle Ages. Not very big with modern thinking.
Ionus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry but in the special case my one man rule would set up the death penalty would indeed work just fine concerning drugs dealings. As all drugs for adults would be legal there would be little or no money to be make in selling drugs to children the only ones who could not buy it legally. So who would risk death to made a very few dollars selling it to children?
This is all your opinion, and I am happy with that, but if you want to convince me you will need facts.
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Yeah, we tried that Miss William, it was called the Middle Ages. Not very big with modern thinking.


So? Just because a method is old does not mean it is not worth while!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:46 pm
@Ionus,
Second comment the Middle Ages did not have one percent of it total population lock up at any one time or in fact roughly two percent of our total male population rotting in prison at great cost to the rest of us.

A few bodies rotting along the highways seem far better then a million men rotting slowly in our prisons.
0 Replies
 
RadAndRandom
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:01 am
@BillRM,
BillRM,
but when did I ever ask you if someone died from marijuana?
I only asked if it damages the brain; I never asked if it kills the brain.
Which leads me to another thing. Even if no one died from an overdose of marijuana, haven't they died from lung cancer, neck cancer, and whatever other kind of cancer that has been caused by smoking? Even if it wasn't caused by marijuana, and it was caused by smoking in general, but it was marijuana that they were smoking, that does, in a way, count as death due to the constant smoking of marijuana.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:36 am
@RadAndRandom,
Quote:
but when did I ever ask you if someone died from marijuana?
I only asked if it damages the brain; I never asked if it kills the brain.
Which leads me to another thing. Even if no one died from an overdose of marijuana, haven't they died from lung cancer, neck cancer, and whatever other kind of cancer that has been caused by smoking? Even if it wasn't caused by marijuana, and it was caused by smoking in general, but it was marijuana that they were smoking, that does, in a way, count as death due to the constant smoking of marijuana.


There is no hard evidence that normal marijuana smoking harm brain cells let alone kill them.

Now given that no one is a pack or two a day smoker for years/decades of marijuana cigs the likelihood that such smoking is a large factor in lung cancer deaths also seem small on it face. and if you wish to save your friends lives it seem that the efforts would be far better focus on getting your friends who are regular smokers to stop.
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:40 am
@RadAndRandom,
Love it when I am right.


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196678,00.html

Marijuana Does Not Raise Lung Cancer Risk
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

By Salynn Boyles

E-Mail Print Share:


People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, new research suggests.

While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.

Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers.

The findings surprised the study’s researchers, who expected to see an increase in cancer among people who smoked marijuana regularly in their youth.

“We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” researcher Donald Tashkin, MD, of UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine tells WebMD. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.” Carcinogens are substances that cause cancer.

Tashkin presented the findings today at The American Thoracic Society’s 102nd International Conference, held in San Diego.

 

Related Topics

SHOULD CANNABIS BE LEGAL...? - Question by mark noble
Why are there so many names for marijuana? - Question by RadAndRandom
marijuana, revisited - Discussion by ossobuco
Need help for drug test coming soon - Question by alexny420
am i high at the moment - Question by thta bnog haed
Weed and Trump + associates - Discussion by ossobucotemp
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/27/2021 at 08:54:10