M*A*S*H... love or hate?

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:50 am
@rosborne979,
Oh god . . . the classic Les Nessman episode was when he had the turkeys released from a helicoper flying over the shopping center . . . i just about busted a gut . . .

Oops . . . i just now saw that that's what you've got from youtube . . . that is just about the funniest episode they had . . .
rosborne979

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oh god . . . the classic Les Nessman episode was when he had the turkeys released from a helicoper flying over the shopping center . . . i just about busted a gut . . .

That was a great one. I found a clip of Carlson saying he thought turkeys could fly, but that wasn't what I thought was the funniest thing about that episode. The part I liked best was Les Nessman doing the commentary as the turkeys fell from the sky and copying the classic commentary from the Hindenberg ("Oh the humanities"). Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
M*A*S*H was a good show for about the first four seasons. After McLean Stevenson left, however, the show abandoned the witty wordplay and keen satire of its earlier years for puerile punnery and shrill, anachronistic moralizing. By the end, it was nearly unwatchable.

I agree completely. Sadly, when you see the syndicated shows, it's never from the McClean Stevenson era.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
the best part about WKRP

Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sOVkpjC5mn0/SLDi-ySAD9I/AAAAAAAAAa8/mWRL16i9J0k/s400/jansmithers.jpg
Jan Smithers & Lonnie Anderson
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@Setanta,
McSteve was one of the most underrated ensemble actors in the history of sitcoms
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
@djjd62,
Hubba....drool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

the best part about WKRP

I'll second that motion. You can keep Lonnie Anderson.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I agree completely. Sadly, when you see the syndicated shows, it's never from the Mclean Stevenson era.

there were a few of those in the marathon this past weekend

I watched the one when he was sent home - Radar got him the suit - so sad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:29 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

the best part about WKRP

Kristi McNicol, Jodi Foster and Jan Smithers

oh my
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
you forgot tatum oneal

hey, i had to have a crush on at least two straight woman
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:06 pm
Wow, haha there are so many old shows I've never even heard about!
I gotta make time to at least check out a few episodes of each.. Hmm.

And thanks for the detailed descriptions... I'll definitely see the first few episodes, and then we'll see if I still want to watch it...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
Let me check in with "Taxi".
Best episode: the Reverend Jim gets his license.
"What . . .does . . . a . . . yellow . . . light . . . mean?"
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@George,
the opie and anthony show were talking about taxi the other day, jim norton who sits at third mike said his fave episode was the one were they show why jim is like he is

in a flashback he's shown at university as a brainy nerd who's talked into trying pot brownies
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
Odd fact about M.A.SH.

It was filmed in CA. hills near where I grew up. After filming, the production studio would give the scripts to local schools who would use the materials to teach kids and adults who had difficulty reading.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:42 pm
@George,
Oh yeah, Taxi was great, and had some great talent . . .

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/jorgemgonzalez/2664marilu_henner0035-med.jpg

No, seriously . . . Danny de Vito, Christopher Lloyd, Andy Kaufman, Carol Kane . . .
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:17 am
If you've ever felt the need to channel your inner nerd, you might try "The Big Bang Theory", in its third season now, which actually has a tenured astrophysicist who vets the scripts to make sure the science is right and slips in actual physicists' jokes--in my opinion the funniest current sitcom.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:26 am
@RadAndRandom,
Robert Altman's movie is an incredible antiwar satire.

The television show shares the same characters (mostly) but it leans more towards the sentimental side of the emotional scale. Most of the series is well made, funny, sometimes heart breaking, and mostly heart warming. The acting and screen chemistry is what makes the television show so legendary and iconic.

The show can get repetitive if you end up watching the entire series but finding a greatest hit list of the better/best episodes will help you avoid this minor obstacle.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:32 am
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:

Well, you made it sound worth watching, that's for certain, Monterey Jack. Especially with the part about saving the pianist's hand.
I have already checked if my library has them, and it does not, but I know that I can request to borrow them from another library. I might be placed on a waiting list for some time, but it'll be worth the wait, I hope.

Interlibrary loan can be a library patron's bestest friend! Very Happy This is a much better way then watching the downgraded quality of the typical full episode on youtube.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:23 am
@MontereyJack,
a hearty "I agree"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Robert Altman's movie is an incredible antiwar satire.

Sure is...although the inter-service football game storyline is distracting;almost as if the studio mogul had tinkered with Altman's script