What will we do with all the unemployed meth addicts if we make meth legal?

Azia991

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:31 pm
SO this is my question, what would we do with all these drug addicts who cant work due to their addiction? How does that really benefit our society?
Where would these people get the money to get high if not steal it >? They cant be hired to work anywhere, no one wants to hire a drug addict. So lets say we make meth legal where would an addict get the money to buy the stuff???????? Dont you think this will result in more crime ?

Green Witch

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm
@Azia991,
Somewhere they are thinking of making meth legal? News to me. Please elaborate and name names.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:38 pm
Shoot the sons-of-bitches . . . we have a whole raft of people right here who will volunteer to do the job . . .
rosborne979

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:47 pm
@Azia991,
Azia991 wrote:
SO this is my question, what would we do with all these drug addicts who cant work due to their addiction? How does that really benefit our society?
Where would these people get the money to get high if not steal it >? They cant be hired to work anywhere, no one wants to hire a drug addict. So lets say we make meth legal where would an addict get the money to buy the stuff???????? Dont you think this will result in more crime ?

It'll be the same problem we have now except that we'll know who the addicts are and we can try to rehab them. The same dollars that currently go towards locking them up and litigating their criminal activities (not to mention the associated costs of drug enforcement) should suffice to cover the costs of rehab.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
Where in god's name is this idea coming from?

Did you mix meth up with marijuana?
BarbieQPickle

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:19 pm
@sullyfish6,
Probably, because I know they would never make meth legal under any circumstance.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:27 pm
@sullyfish6,
It came from an earlier post by Chumly:
http://able2know.org/topic/130298-1.
If I had seen it first I would have kept the talk to the original thread.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:49 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Shoot the sons-of-bitches . . . we have a whole raft of people right here who will volunteer to do the job . . .

And that's not even half in jest.
0 Replies

Amigo

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
Just let meth addicts work legally. They work pretty good. I used to work with a whole crew of them. They got all kinds of **** done and they had money for all there own drugs and were tax payers.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:04 pm
What did we do with all the unemployed alcoholics when we made booze legal?
Amigo

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

What did we do with all the unemployed alcoholics when we made booze legal?
Exactly!!! If sombody wants to work??? Let them work and produce, pay taxes and pay for themselves and then when they are ready for rehab they will have already paid into the system.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
We should tax the meth and put the money into drug rehab. If making it legal will get rid of the meth labs in my part of the country I'm all for it. Nothing like forests full of broken down trailers, surrounded by garbage and guarded by pitbulls to make me feel like we need a better solution. Maybe we can put the addicts to work cleaning up such places in exchange for meth.

Amigo

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Green Witch,
Great Idea!! I think there are solutions all.around us. Putting these people in prisons with our tax money or making it illegal for them to work is not one of them.
0 Replies

Amigo

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:37 pm
If we all start doing meth we could raise the Gross National Product and tweek ourselves out of the ressesion!!!!
ebrown p

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:48 pm
@Amigo,
I do not advocate the use of Meth-- it seems obvious to me that this is pretty destructive behavior. The idea that Meth use would be helpful to society, or good for a persons life seems pretty preposterous. Although, I believe strongly in the privacy of employees, if I found out that an employee of mine was using Meth (particularly if I found out through job performance), this employee would be fired pretty quickly... perhaps with a chance to be rehired after treatment.

In fact, in my opinion it is part of the responsibility of government to discourage the use of Meth.

My support is only for the idea of decriminalization. The reason I support decriminalization is that treating this serious problem with law enforcement and harsh punishment presents severe social costs that far outweigh any benefits.

Decriminalization of a behavior, and acceptance of a behavior are two very different things.

ossobuco

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:58 pm
I'm confused on this issue. In the abstract, I'm libertarian on all this. On the other hand, meth use scares me silly. I'd like not to see houses/trailers explode and teeth rot..

I'm reading along.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:54 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
My support is only for the idea of decriminalization. The reason I support decriminalization is that treating this serious problem with law enforcement and harsh punishment presents severe social costs that far outweigh any benefits.

Decriminalization of a behavior, and acceptance of a behavior are two very different things.

Well said.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
If we are going to turn this into a serious thread than I will have to agree with ebrown. It's a waste of time and money to pursue addicts as criminals. It would be much better to try and help them free themselves of the addiction then give them a new a problem of also being labelled a felon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:58 am
While that is mainly true, as regards the users, it would be foolish to ignore the meth labs and the risks they present to children in such "homes," and the neighbors who live along side them. Meth labs represent a criminal activity with immense dangers to the community. Any program which intends to decriminalize but does not supply a maintenance source of the drug for addicts will have ignored the serious problem presented to communities by the existence of home-made meth labs.
ebrown p

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@Setanta,
What's wrong with CVS?

((I already have to submit to a background check in order to buy cold medicine))
0 Replies