Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 09:07 am
what states have been legalized for marijiuana?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 09:09 am
@heatherarnoldy,
Since the federal statutes on drugs have not been relaxed, I suppose the answer is "none".
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
California and 12 other states now allow 'medical' marijuana. I know people who have it for medical reasons though they admit they only use it to get high. There is a bill pending in CA that will allow for the recreational use of the drug. I hope it passes.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:03 am
@heatherarnoldy,
heatherarnoldy wrote:

what states have been legalized for marijiuana?

Drewdad's answer is correct: technically, none. Federal law always trumps state statutes and there is a federal law against marijuana. California, Hawaii and any number of other states can all remove state laws against marijuana and approve it for medicinal or recreational use, and the DEA (Drug Enformcement Administration) can still come and arrest you. Now, the fact is that they don't do that. The DEA and other Federal agencies are not interested in busting small-time users; they have much bigger fish they wish to fry -- the dealers and suppliers. But, in fact, you're never totally safe in the use of a federally outlawed substance.
NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
@Merry Andrew,
I often wonder how the federal government justifies such things and how the Supreme Court can support them. There is nothing in the Constitution about drugs though I'm sure our founding fathers would have said something to the effect of 'whatever floats your boat'. Alcohol, morphine and other drugs were common then and the government didn't think it worthy of their time to even consider getting involved with people's personal recreational habits. Our government has overstepped its boundaries in the 'war on drugs'.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
@NickFun,
Nick, the whole thing started with Prohibition and the Volstead Act. If it's assumed that you can outlaw alcohol then, by extension, you can outlaw anything. The whole thing reeks of paternalism in its absolutely worst form. But, there it is.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:35 am
It would be nice if it were just paternalism, but prohibition was more about racism than anything else.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It would be nice if it were just paternalism, but prohibition was more about racism than anything else.

It was? Care to elaborate on that, Ceili?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:51 am
It fairly well documented, but I'll bite.
The first prohibitionists were white, mostly northern women of a Presbyterian/Christian persuasion. The temperance movement.
They objected to the drunken 'dirty' Irish and Italians catholics amoung others, polluting their upright sensibilities and neighbourhoods.
They pushed for prohibition, when it passed and subsequently failed...
They found another target. The opium dens of the Chinese, the marijuana and coca of the deep south/mexican and/or urban areas. These 'darkies' were ruining the white culture and they were going to make them see the light.
I've read many books on the subject and the language of the prohibition movement was very racist.

panzade

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:25 pm
@Ceili,
interesting take
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:37 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

interesting take

Ditto.

I must admit it's the first time I've ever heard that argument. Those WCTU gals were just as much against their husbands, fathers and brothers getting drunk as they were against the 'darkies' raising cain.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:06 pm
Not my word... I'm quoting one of the bits of propaganda I've read.
I fall into the 'dirty Irish catholic' pile. Watch Reefer Madness for a historical take on the fear.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Not my word... I'm quoting one of the bits of propaganda I've read.
I fall into the 'dirty Irish catholic' pile. Watch Reefer Madness for a historical take on the fear.

I think 'propaganda' is indeed the correct word in this context, Ceili.

Love "Reefer Madness." It's one of the most hilarious movies to come out of the 1930s/40s paranoia over 'marihuana.' The amazing thing is that all that wonderful humor is unintentional! A friend of mine has the casette and we watch it any time we feel the need for a good laugh.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:56 pm
Merry I can't tell you how many times I've laughed at it too.

This is just one example of an article written on the racism angle.
Sadly, drug policies are still racist. The majority of people prosecuted by the courts are not white.
http://www.drugpolicy.org/about/position/race_paper_history.cfm
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
Of course, the Kennedy family made its fortune off alcohol during prohibition. Thus, they were selling illegal drugs making them drug dealers.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 04:44 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

The DEA and other Federal agencies are not interested in busting small-time users; they have much bigger fish they wish to fry -- the dealers and suppliers.

Yeah, I heard that this was true, and that's why there are so few common drug users in prison. And the one's that have been unfortunate enough to get arrested serve much less time in jail than violent offenders.

Wait; I heard the exact OPPOSITE of that.

What are you talking about?
0 Replies