What will we do with all the unemployed meth addicts if we make meth legal?

Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
Typical strawman . . . far from saying it shouldn't be provided to addicts as a part of well-designed recovery program, i suggested it. The serious danger of home-grown meth labs to the communities of which they are a part should not be ignored.
0 Replies

Azia991

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
This though came to me after reading this interesting article written by a lawyer about why he feels meth should be legal. So i had to ask what will we do with the meth addicts that cant wonts work if meth is to become legal.
http://able2know.org/topic/130298-1
0 Replies

Azia991

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:32 pm
@sullyfish6,
I was reading this interesting article written by a lawyer about why he feels meth should be legal. So i had to ask what will we do with the meth addicts that cant wonts work if meth is to become legal.
http://able2know.org/topic/130298-1
ebrown p

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:23 am
@Azia991,
Aren't you making a big assumption there Azia? Who says that making it legal means there will be more addicts?

There are a certain number of people who already have Meth addictions. I believe we have treatment options now.

If we make Meth legal, will the number of people with debilitating Meth addictions go up? Or, given that it will be easier to get treatment without the fear of jail, will the number of people with Meth addictions go down?

You seem to be making a prediction that legalization will lead to a huge number of new addicts. You haven't given us any reason to think that this will be true (unless you have a crystal ball).
0 Replies

Amigo

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:05 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I do not advocate the use of Meth-- it seems obvious to me that this is pretty destructive behavior. The idea that Meth use would be helpful to society, or good for a persons life seems pretty preposterous. Although, I believe strongly in the privacy of employees, if I found out that an employee of mine was using Meth (particularly if I found out through job performance), this employee would be fired pretty quickly... perhaps with a chance to be rehired after treatment.

In fact, in my opinion it is part of the responsibility of government to discourage the use of Meth.

My support is only for the idea of decriminalization. The reason I support decriminalization is that treating this serious problem with law enforcement and harsh punishment presents severe social costs that far outweigh any benefits.

Decriminalization of a behavior, and acceptance of a behavior are two very different things.

I agree
ossobuco

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:14 pm
@Amigo,
Meth is the one drug that has given me pause re decriminalization, all those trailers and rental houses catching on fire, plus the messed up lives.

What I think I would like to see is a combo of decriminalization with outreach to all those meth labs entrepreneurs, in one way or another.
I hired a reformed meth person. He chased me around the house, not re sex but re anger. Verrrrry touchy.
tsarstepan

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Rest assured that meth will never be decriminalized.

It should always be made illegal to produce and/or possess. But the punishment for those possessing and/or using the substance should be a mandatory drug rehabilitation program rather then prison. The charge shouldn't be considered a felony if the person has successfully managed her or his way out of the program.

This would remove the very possible employment obstacle always blocking the person's path of social and financial progress.
Amigo

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Meth, crack and heroin. Those are the three drugs the world can do without.

Iv'e used them all more then once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I probably agree with you.
tsarstepan

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I wonder if an indefinite or very long probation period following the rehabilitation program with the threat of mandatory surprise drug testing would be a help with those who graduate from this hypothetical mandatory drug program.
ossobuco

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
He chased me around the house, not re sex but re anger. Verrrrry touchy.

In many ways I admired this guy. I did somehow shut him down, whatever I said, but I think it was more that he caught himself and stopped. Let's say he had a tricky situation re employment. But, I don't know how typical of ex meth users he was. He had a kind side. Or, he wanted to get paid.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:03 pm
@Amigo,
me too
0 Replies

Amigo

Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I wonder if an indefinite or very long probation period following the rehabilitation program with the threat of mandatory surprise drug testing would be a help with those who graduate from this hypothetical mandatory drug program.
It Don't work.
0 Replies