3

Why will marijuana become legal? Simple: $$$

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:18 pm
Huge, Legal Cannabis Farm Study Surprises Industry, Officials

The groundbreaking study showing how the City of Oakland could make $2 million per year licensing a medical cannabis growing warehouse caught many locals by surprise this week. Even though city officials and the cannabis industry are looking toward licensing large-scale grows allowed under state law SB 420, the hard numbers appear to be the first of their kind. Economist Joanne Brion of Brion and Associates, who did the six-month, $16,000 report said she was surprised at how potent an economic force cannabis is.

“My gut instinct said that this would be a great revenue and job generator for the city,” she said. "But after running the numbers, “I went, ‘Wow, that’s really a job generator.'"

Brion’s report found that licensing a seven-acre cannabis growing facility near I-880 at the Embarcadero would create up to 371 union jobs, paying an average salary of $53,700 a year. The site could produce an average of 58 pounds of cannabis per day, and generate gross revenues of around $59 million per year. The site would grow an estimated quarter of one percent of the estimated 8.6 million pounds of cannabis cultivated annually in California.

...
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,787 • Replies: 11

Rockhead

1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:22 pm
@DrewDad,
and extra security guards, too.

(don't want the gun crowd left out...)

oolongteasup

3  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:22 pm
@DrewDad,
my worry is that it will become the opiate of the masses

leading inexorably to gardening or worse, cooking

1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:27 pm
Everybody must get stoned.

Rockhead

1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:03 pm
@DrewDad,
hold the phone...

"the estimated 8.6 million pounds of cannabis cultivated annually in California."

how in the hell are they going broke?

a pound of medical grade pot is not chump change.

I wonder if the insurance companies are footing that bill...
DrewDad

1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:40 pm
@Rockhead,
I think the vast bulk of the 8.6 million pounds is black market, and thus does not benefit the tax revenues.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:35 am
From my reading, people in humboldt county are worried. Me I'm fine with it being legal.

1  
Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:44 am
@DrewDad,
You mean they are taxing medicine?
plainoldme

1  
Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:22 pm
Frankly, marijuana will eventually become legalized because it is so widely used.

DrewDad

1  
Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:17 pm
@roger,
They tax the incomes of the companies that make medicine, right? They tax the income of the employees, right?

CropKingSeeds

-1  
Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2021 07:00 am
@DrewDad,
Because it's 2021 for God's sake! marijuana helps a lot of individual due to its medical benefits

beaverseeds

0  
Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 04:55 am
@DrewDad,
One motivation for legalization is the economic benefits that can come from the regulated commercial availability of marijuana. Increased tax revenues, job growth, and investment opportunities all are powerful incentives to push for legalization.