I want our old forum back

iamthewinnar

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:11 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I would switch to a rock from the Black Berry Storm... I can't stand that phone...

Do you use BES (Black Berry Enterprise Server) or anything like that? Though as far as corporate goes, the Droid supports exchange connectivity.

I have a Blackberry Curve (Work) and A Motorola Droid (Personal) I prefer the Droid but the nice thing about the Blackberry is that it's very easy to use. I was given the option to get a droid for work instead of the blackberry, and if I didn't already have one I would have taken it.

jespah

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:47 pm
@iamthewinnar,
Psst I know sozobe covered this a bit but here's another place where a lotta the droid convos are: http://able2know.org/tag/motorola_droid/

Anywayyyyyyy droidlings, I'm sorry things were so abrupt. But I swear things will start to feel more familiar soon. Plus, through the magic of SEO, I bet you'll see a lot more queries about the Droid. The gospel, such as it is, should spread .... Smile
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:54 pm
@The Chief,
Welcome to the Chief!
Sorry,I have absolutely no anthem to go with this.

JM
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
@JamesMorrison,
Hail to the Chief ??
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:15 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm sure I'll start to figure this out soon. But this was SO abrupt, SO different, SO unexpected that I flipped out this morning. I'm better now, and I'll try getting used to this forum.
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@The Chief,
Understandable! I'm impressed with how quickly you've adjusted actually.
dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm sure I'll start to figure this out soon. But this was SO abrupt, SO different, SO unexpected that I flipped out this morning. I'm better now, and I'll try getting used to this forum.

Phew.

We like you already!
0 Replies

iamthewinnar

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:46 pm
@The Chief,
Yea, My initial thought was WTF too... but this place isn't so bad...
saintlewi

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
so here i am...after sending a nasty email off, lol. still, im a basic person, and I liked our old, smaller, easy to manage forum. i figure i will give this a shot for a bit, but i also imagine, as it seems already, most of the traffic we got at our little forum will not be coming here, especially if they had as many problems getting here as i did.

but nice to see chief and a couple other 'familiar faces' here, at least for a little bit.
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:05 pm
I hope it has been explained to all the noobs that they have to send many monies to my Caman Island account, OR (and I am very serious here) I will not talk to them. No..wait..or I will talk to them...ah, crap, it is one of them..just send the monies.

I like monies.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:39 pm
@iamthewinnar,
Just wait to smell some of the other members...
0 Replies

linmk2

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@saintlewi,
Count me in as a "familiar face". When I checked the DroidMotorola (apparently a name we cannot speak) forum before retiring for the evening, it was still there. There, in it's small, manageable, informative, technical and respectful glory. When I checked in on my lunch break, I suddenly felt as if I was in the cast of LOST. Think of me as Charlie from season one, asking the question "guys, where are we?" My first impression was that Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace had an orgy and this forum was the bastard child of the unholy union. However, like yourself, I do see a few familiar names. It is my hope that more of our comrades will join us here on the "island" and the "others" might have an actual interest in the Motorola (can we say the name without being banished to Elba or St. Helena)? Droid. I'm going to stick it out for a few days and watch what develops.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:14 pm
@linmk2,
linmk2 wrote:
(can we say the name without being banished to Elba or St. Helena)?

Only one way to find out. I'll take one for the team.

Droid.... Mo...torola. Droid. Motorola. Motorola Droid.

Seems safe, you guys can come out now!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:19 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:

Well, as an old Navy guy I am used to change, ...

What part of the Navy ? (If you were a submariner, don't bother to reply.) Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:43 pm
Geez, I go away for a few days and we get androids! I'm sure the shock is way worse for you all. It's been said before, but welcome to you all. The place is likely better for your being here.
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:44 am
@littlek,
Quote:
Geez, I go away for a few days and we get androids! I'm sure the shock is way worse for you all. It's been said before, but welcome to you all. The place is likely better for your being here.

It would have been polite, at very the least, for both the "androids" & regular A2Kers to have had some inkling of what was about to occur, before it actually happened.

I really wish that participants of online forums were treated with more respect. It sometimes feels as though we don't matter all that much.
dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:51 am
@linmk2,
You Droidians seem to have humour and a way with words!

I'd have thought you all more...well....Dalekian.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:52 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Understandable! I'm impressed with how quickly you've adjusted actually.

I suspect they'll do better than A2kers generally did with such a change.

I think most of them are techno-savvy.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:16 am
@msolga,
Msolga they may have a case for that, but I certainly don't think you do. Them being brought here doesn't change your world much at all, they average less than 10 posts a day and we have grown by more than their entire forum in a week sometimes. I know that communities are things members feel a sense of personal ownership about but I don't know why you feel disrespected at all in this particular case and I resent the implication that because I don't socialize things like this more I treat you guys like you don't matter.

I explained in multiple places, we had plans to do this differently (and at a much later date) but because of obligations we had were required to rush things. I found out we were importing the forum that day as well (after finding out a few days earlier that I needed to do it shortly). I had planned to take more time and do it more cleanly but soon discovered that I would need to spend money my company can't afford to for the droid forum to keep it online (we no longer had the license the forum software was running on).

What you are doing is essentially calling for me to do more work and to spend more money. This is not some large corporation, this is a volunteer show. I'd love to be able to give you guys all the hand holding and updates you want, but I also wish you would recognize that this doesn't just happen in a vacuum and that what you are asking me for is to spend more time socializing my work with all the cooks. This has a non-negligible effect on both the my work load and often my failings in this regard have nothing to do with lack of respect for the users, but lack of time and resources to do things as elegantly as I would like. Every one of the forums I operate says I need to give them more time, and time is a commodity I don't always have to give.

Nothing is as easy as for the man who doesn't have to do it himself. If I wanted to wait a few more days it was going to cost me $200 dollars and bring my total spend for the week on the droid forum to $500 and that is an amount that we can't justify for a forum that size (merging gives it the economy of scale to cost us nothing and that is why it is here, it makes the droid forum viable again where it otherwise wouldn't be for us).

But if you want inklings then here's one in advance. I've already said it a few times, but it bears saying again to prevent surprises:

We will be merging most of our forums into able2know (economy of scale makes it more viable, network effect makes community more vibrant once it gets past initial angst) and in most cases it will be a much bigger forum than the one we just merged and will increase able2know's size by a much larger margin (i.e. this is a pimple in comparison to the mergers that are coming). There will be angst with every change, whether positive or negative.

But no matter how well this is communicated, and how smoothly we manage to pull it off there will be some who vehemently disagree with the plan and I can't please everyone and I think the incessant demands for better service are themselves disrespectful of the time and resources they are demanding.
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:22 am
Goddamn it ! ! !

This **** really honks me off . . .

. . . what were we talking about?
0 Replies