1
   

What is a ROM and what is Rooting?

 
 
Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:26 pm
I hear a lot about these two topics, yet I have no idea what either is and/or means. I have DLed NESoid and GENoid but both require a ROM to play. So how do I get one? And then, what is this rooting I hear about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 725 • Replies: 12
No top replies

 
isimon
 
  1  
Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:50 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
http://tinyurl.com/yh327th
heres some
YankeeDudeL
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:10 am
@isimon,
Haha, that's levels of awesome. I guess if I'ma be an Android guy from now on, I better become well versed in the ways of Google.
isimon
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:33 am
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;955 wrote:
Haha, that's levels of awesome. I guess if I'ma be an Android guy from now on, I better become well versed in the ways of Google.


Yup. That site is really awesome. For some reason people get pissed off when they ask really vague questions and I give them the link. Glad you took it well Wink. I still don't know what rooting is though, so I can't help you on that.
Droid Motorola
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:50 am
@YankeeDudeL,
Roms are the games... rooting i have no idea..
0 Replies
 
cp22gear
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:00 am
@YankeeDudeL,
haha thats great. now try Googling "where is Chuck Norris?" and click I'm feeling lucky...
0 Replies
 
droid him
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:22 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Rooting is the equivilant of jailbreaking. It gives you access to the root files on the device which will allow you to install custom ROMS (operating systems) not the ROMs (games). I have just started using the Droid so havent rooted. I did jailbreak my iphone and everthing i jailbroke for the Droid does naturally. On the iphone jailbreaking allowed you to install themes, teathering, stolen app store apps, apps that apple didnt approve. Havent had much need of that since coming to Droid. Usually rooting is somethign left to the most tech savvy as a lot of things could go wrong and you could end up with a paper weight.
Droid Motorola
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:04 am
@YankeeDudeL,
Did u guys download any nes games yet? which is the best? Its a bit hard using the keyboard with the dialpad on the right.
iamthewinnar
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:53 am
@Droid Motorola,
Yea the controls are a bit backwards from a NES controller...

My favorite NES games are:
Zelda (1 and 2)
Mario, mario 2, mario 3
Kirby's Dream Land
River City Ransom
Tetris


I also Picked up the SNES emulator
Some of my favorite SNES games are:
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Sieken den setsu 3 (secret of mana sequal)
Legend of Gaia
Final Fantasy 5
Super Mario World
Zelda: Link to the Past

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.
0 Replies
 
Droid Motorola
 
  1  
Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:09 am
@YankeeDudeL,
Its awesome if your a left hander.
0 Replies
 
YankeeDudeL
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:26 am
@isimon,
isimon;956 wrote:
Yup. That site is really awesome. For some reason people get pissed off when they ask really vague questions and I give them the link. Glad you took it well Wink. I still don't know what rooting is though, so I can't help you on that.


Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, push someone down the stairs and laugh at them.
isimon
 
  1  
Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:28 am
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;1026 wrote:
Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, push someone down the stairs and laugh at them.


And if you can laugh at yourself, its still a good idea to push them down the stairs just because its funny. :p
0 Replies
 
teddyearp
 
  1  
Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 08:57 pm
@droid him,
him;978 wrote:
Rooting is the equivilant of jailbreaking. It gives you access to the root files on the device which will allow you to install custom ROMS (operating systems) not the ROMs (games). I have just started using the Droid so havent rooted. I did jailbreak my iphone and everthing i jailbroke for the Droid does naturally. On the iphone jailbreaking allowed you to install themes, teathering, stolen app store apps, apps that apple didnt approve. Havent had much need of that since coming to Droid. Usually rooting is somethign left to the most tech savvy as a lot of things could go wrong and you could end up with a paper weight.


Yes, rooting the droid is as stated. It is the equivalent to have a Linux OS on your computer with 'root' access, thereby being able to change many items/files/settings on the phone itself. However, the chipset on this phone has it's own internal security native on the chip itself, so 'rooting' it may still be a ways away. And as posted, it is a highly technical process and if you do ONE wrong step, you WILL end up with a paperweight. So far, the only thing that folks have been able to do is access the filesytem with QPST and other programs similar to that and have been able to get calls/texts to work on different carriers than VZW (part of the hacking/rooting process), however no one yet has been able to get another carrier's data settings to 'stick'.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » What is a ROM and what is Rooting?
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/15/2019 at 12:37:23