Swype for Droid - Coming soon...

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:12 pm
... or here already, depending on how anxious you are to get it!

Swype simply allows you to run your fingers over the keyboard, flowing from one letter to the next. It will predict what you're trying to say with uncanny accuracy. Have you used it before? Will you use it now, or wait till formal release?

ARTICLE HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,334 • Replies: 17
No top replies

jstwondrng

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:32 am
@The Chief,
Hey Chief!

I'm liking that idea. It would be cool to have a keyboard "know" what you're going to type just by running your fingers over it. So far, I've found both the virtual and physical keyboards to be a challenge when texting. I'm in, once it's available for DL Smile

jstwondrng
0 Replies

Droid Motorola

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@The Chief,
Wow thats pretty nifty
The Chief

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:55 pm
@Droid Motorola,
I am using swype to write this and my speed is doubled after using it only five minutes! this is unbelievable...
YankeeDudeL

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:27 am
@The Chief,
Here's my go at swype. Def will take some time, but promising.
cmacv

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 09:38 am
@YankeeDudeL,
wow this thing rocks
The Chief

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@cmacv,
For those of you still sitting on the fence, I cannot recommend this highly enough. So far it hasn't blown up my Droid or anything, and it's almost magical in how it works. Give it a go and tell us how you like it!Very Happy
0 Replies

saintlewi

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:53 am
@The Chief,
this might just bring me back to my DARE days and use my virtual keyboard(s) more. or, you know, at all.

thanks, chief!
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:04 am
@saintlewi,
I really like it, but have found it to be a pain when typing URLs, user names, and passwords. But, alas, we have a physical keyboard for those! So no need to turn it on and off, just pull the thing open and leave Swype as your default!
The Chief

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:50 am
@YankeeDudeL,
I have found you can still enter URLs one letter at a time with Swype. Just, uh, don't swype Very Happy
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:13 am
@The Chief,
The_Chief;1882 wrote:
I have found you can still enter URLs one letter at a time with Swype. Just, uh, don't swype Very Happy

Yes, that has worked, too. lol. But I've also had issues where it would add spaces between letters. Not everytime, though. Weird.
droid him

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@The Chief,
i like it even for regular typing its better than factory. Would definatly buy when its out of beta
The Chief

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:43 pm
@droid him,
Right now their business model is strictly for pre-loading the software with the manufacturers, NOT after-market, customer-direct sales. I personally think it's a disaster of a plan, considering that at least a million people would be willing to pay as much as $10 a pop for Swype. I don't understand their rationale at all.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:51 am
@The Chief,
The_Chief;1891 wrote:
Right now their business model is strictly for pre-loading the software with the manufacturers, NOT after-market, customer-direct sales. I personally think it's a disaster of a plan, considering that at least a million people would be willing to pay as much as $10 a pop for Swype. I don't understand their rationale at all.

I love it, but I don't think I'd pay much more than a dollar for it. It's convient, but only if it's cheap. And while there's plenty of smart phones out there, I imagine they'll get multiple millions from multiple makers/service providers/whoever is fronting the bill. There must be more money in it to do it that way, especially if someone's willing to pay them to make it exclusive.

Personally, I don't see why that don't just do it both ways and make money from each, lol.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:38 pm
@The Chief,
I'd pay 3 bucks for it. I actually type faster than i swype and the keyboard looks better than factory so i can type faster on it.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;1884 wrote:
Yes, that has worked, too. lol. But I've also had issues where it would add spaces between letters. Not everytime, though. Weird.

Well, I know why it's sometimes adding spaces. It's b/c I wasn't typing the url fast enough. But when it comes to typing out my passwords, which have capitals and letters mixed in, it's best to work w/ the physical key. Overall, I like Swype, I'm just glad to have the physical keyboard, too.
0 Replies

DaretoDroid

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:16 am
@The Chief,
Ok I think I am missing something here, I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it, copied over to my handset (drag n drop) but when I open Astro I cannot find the apk file?
0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:58 am
@The Chief,
download it on your phone not computer

Installation

1. Navigate to this page on your phone. You can email yourself a link or go to droidmuff.in in the browser, tap Downloads on the main menu and then Swype keyboard preview on the downloads page to get here.
2. Tap the Download link and wait for the download to finish.
3. From the Download history screen, tap SwypeReference-WVGA854-trial-release.0.35.3959.apk, then tap install. Note: If you get an error, you need to go to Settings, then Applications and enable Unknown Sources.
4. After Swype has installed, Go to Settings, then Language & Keyboard. Uncheck Android keyboard and check Swype.
0 Replies