Anyone using GDE Home Screen?

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
Just wondering. Apparently it replaces the Droid's native 3-screen home desktop with a cube environment with up to 7 screens. I didn't want to download and install it unless I knew someone else here has already done so and likes it.

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-rogro-gde-zwAp.aspx

Any opinions? So far it's getting rave reviews elsewhere, but you guys are my homies Very Happy and I'd like YOUR opinion...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,166 • Replies: 16
No top replies

droid him

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:17 pm
@The Chief,
I'm using panda beta works great and u can have a lot screens. Its free for now.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:20 am
@droid him,
Interesting. Reminds me of the OS for the original Chocolate Touch that was supposed to come out (the 5" long skinny version that I think made it to Europe but was "reinvented" for us in the States).
The Chief

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:27 am
@YankeeDudeL,
I'm just skiddish about messing around with the desktop and not being able to revert it. But if you guys say it's okay, then it's okay...
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:41 pm
@The Chief,
I've heard about people using Panda, but I'm also skiddish about messing w/ this. How many other people have used any of these?
0 Replies

blazingwolf

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 10:41 am
@The Chief,
Right now I am using Home++. It's one of the better home screen products even though it is in beta. The main site can be found here: http://hpp.intuitit.mobi/home

There is no reason to fear trying these programs as it is simple to remove them and get back to the regular home screen. Worst case scenario is a hard reset, which I have not experienced yet through all of my playing with apps.
0 Replies

Audiophobe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:09 am
@The Chief,
I have installed both Panda and Open Home a couple of times and deleted them. All I wanted was extra home pages, nothing else and I could not figure them out. This was a while ago so maybe they have been updated and maybe I have become more savy but I haven't tried them again.
I have turned to App Organizer so O can put, for example, all games under one icon (folder). I'd prefer the extra pages, on for games, one for travel, ect., and maybe I'll try it again some time.
The Chief

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:45 am
@Audiophobe,
According to the comments, home++ messes with the GPS. Any problems there?
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:01 pm
@The Chief,
I have been using it for about three weeks without a problem.
The Chief

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:18 pm
@BucYouUp68,
I installed home++ and like it so far, although re-doing the desktop was a chore. I'll try the GPS in a bit and hopefully all will work well!
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:09 pm
@The Chief,
I bought GDE it was cool at first but caused a lot of force closes and phone froze a lot when getting back to home screen. i unisntalled but kept too long to get a refund
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:56 pm
@The Chief,
I think Force Closes are just part of it, most of these apps are written on the fly. I have just accepted the fact at this point. Dont get me wrong, i have not had many. Much more issues with my BB
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:31 am
@The Chief,
well you would think that after the issues are identifed they would be addressed. I had apps quit on my iphone but not many. GDE and beyond pod crash for me at least once a day. Still use beyond pod but gde i guess since it was my home by default would require a reboot.
The Chief

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 06:38 pm
@droid him,
I decided on home++ and am very pleased with it. Despite comments to the contrary, GPS works fine with it. Everything is pleasurable and that 4th screen really helps out with real estate!
YankeeDudeL

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:47 pm
@The Chief,
I'm also giving Home++ a go. It'll take some getting used to, but it does seem simple enough.
msblueline

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:13 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Is there any way to add the docking trays on home++ like the GDE has?

You know the ones that allow as many icons that can fit on the tray and slide across the screen.

I have loked in the widgets and cannot see them, I know they are GDE but didn't know if home++ had those as well.

Thanks,

msblueline
0 Replies

DBac

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:37 am
I'm amazed that anyone has anything bad to say about GDE. I've had it for about 2 months and have zero Force closes or crashes! I love it!
0 Replies