Will Verizon Open up Apps for the Droid?

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 06:40 pm
Hopefully we won't have a repeat of the Dare, which is an AWESOME phone with very few apps - most for a monthly access fee - tightly controlled by Verizon.

With Google in the mix, will Big Red open up their clenched fists a little and allow third-party applications, or will they lock down yet another phone with a handful of expensive apps that few people will want?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Droid Motorola

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:17 am
@The Chief,
Well anrdoid is all about open development. I think verizon is taking a new path regarding locking and hiding the features of their phones. While the past they could do that nowadays they could lose customers for doing that.

You gotta love the competition of the wireless industry. The ones that will benefit are us.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:21 am
@Droid Motorola,
This has been my biggest gripe w/ Verizon. They really shafted us w/ some of the capabilities the Dare was originally able to do and the apps are simply ridiculous. Hardly anything worthwhile, and those that are cost anywhere from $2 to $20 extra every month.
celticmedicineman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:46 am
@YankeeDudeL,
open developement is def the key words
The Chief

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@celticmedicineman,
Open development is one thing, but open availability is another. I'm concerned that VZW will filter all 3rd party apps and tack a monthly charge on them like they did for the Dare and other phones. Will they permit an app store like Apple, where there are tens of thousands of (sometimes free) apps that people want, or will they lock down and charge a monthly fee for everything?

I will know the answer BEFORE I buy the droid.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:15 pm
@The Chief,
I will build my own apps, then i wont have to pay for them.....
0 Replies

tavarg57

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:20 pm
@The Chief,
I have a Palm Treo 700p and I found that I could get apps fpr treo with a little hunting via google
tpriddy

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 02:23 pm
@tavarg57,
Anyone have a friend with an Android phone that can share their experience with Android Market.
android.com wrote:
Android Market
Check out our site for some of the more popular applications and games available in Android Market. For a comprehensive, up-to-date list of the thousands of titles that are available, you will need to view Android Market on a handset.
I hope that:
  • Droid may use Android Market,
  • that Android Market doesn't distinguish by phone model,
  • or by network/carrier,
  • existing apps are compatible with Android 2.0,
  • Android 2.0 lets us save apps to the SD card,
  • we can freely (as in beer) re-download an app to the same phone in case of corruption/loss,
  • we can transfer apps to new/replacement phone.
teddyearp

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:51 pm
@tpriddy,
tpriddy;154 wrote:
Anyone have a friend with an Android phone that can share their experience with Android Market.I hope that:
  • Droid may use Android Market,
  • that Android Market doesn't distinguish by phone model,
  • or by network/carrier,
  • existing apps are compatible with Android 2.0,
  • Android 2.0 lets us save apps to the SD card,
  • we can freely (as in beer) re-download an app to the same phone in case of corruption/loss,
  • we can transfer apps to new/replacement phone.

I have it on pretty good info that the Droid will use Android Market, and it shouldn't distinguish by model/carrier. Network?

Existing apps being compatible with 2.0 is still hotly debated, but common sense says yes.

Yes, that is the latest and greatest (supposedly) about 2.0 Eclair, that we can save/run apps from the microSD card.

Therefore, that would put the last two concerns to rest, yes we can. Heck, even with my Napoleon, I have been able to put alot of 'free' apps on it several times even after having to either re-flash it, or Master Reset.

Finally, VZW has finally 'got it'. They have unlocked the GPS chips and other things on their smartphones so that we can do a whole hell of a lot more than we could in the past. So, NO, VZW will NOT filter ANY third party apps for this device.
0 Replies