Is that also against their religion?

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:30 am
You know that I love you, Letty! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:41 am
I worked with a client/patient some years ago who smelled unbelievably bad. I was assigned the task of discussing this with him. He was really glad that I did - as he knew there was a problem from other's comments and reactions, and didn't know what to do.

After confirming that he bathed regularly, changed into clean clothing regularly and used a deodorant - and still stunk - we got him a referral to a g.p. who then referred him to an endocrinologist. Turns out there was something funky about his body chemistry that made his sweat react in a peculiar way with his skin.

There is definitely a difference between simple body odor (which is bad enough) and what this guy had. It was truly mind-boggling.

Smoke. Ughhhhhhh. I like the smell of a freshly-lit cigarette, in fact I sometimes crave it. But stale tobacco - on skin or clothes <shudder>. Febreze just doesn't do it. I use lots of Febreze and its cousin products, but it doesn't work on tobacco smoke.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:47 am
Hey, Wilso. Glad you started this thread cause I just took a shower, washed my hair, and all that stuff. Very Happy

Hey, Phoenix and ehBeth. Hugs all around.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:54 am
That has nothing to do with religion.

Last year, at the spa of Karlovy Vary, the Muslim women on the street had an incredibly nice fragrance. All of them. I thought: "this poor women can't show their faces, but they become attractive by their smell".

Smell is a matter of getting used to. During my first two months as a student in Europe, I felt the classrooms had a sweaty stench, sometimes not easy to bare.
But then, hell, it became so cold I also starting taking a shower only once a week. And I didn't notice the smell anymore! Smile
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 01:03 pm
I must be pretty strange, because I actually like the smell of cigarette smoke. I hate the idea of smoking, I think it's disgusting. But I like the smell of, like, smoking sections in restaurants, or hotels or houses that people have smoked in for some reason. I've never smoked and my partents never smoked while I was alive, and my friends never smoked either. It's odd.

Personally, though, I also think that perfume in general usually smells worse than BO in general. Of course there are always exceptions....
0 Replies

barhoooooom

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:10 am
what the woman did is AGAINST ISLAM in all a directions. ISLAM has always insisted that people should be very clean. "BEING CLEAN IS FROM FAITH" is well known to all muslims. it is OBLIGATORY for all muslims to take ablution before prayers, and muslims pray 5 times a day. at least once a week every muslim baths and specially on fridays. The prophet mohammad peace be upon him was always very clean and with a very nice perfume smell, some times people would come to a place and know that the prophet mohammad was there because his perfume semll stays in the place for a long time.

That woman is not doing something that is related to culture or religion, it is a matter of what her family taught her or what she is used to.

an information that is noteworthy is that muslims are the ones who introduced baths to europeans. In spain, they taught the spanish how to make baths inside the house. and when the spanish won in their wars against the muslims and started to kill every single muslim, they had some difficulty in knowing the muslims who are in their houses, so what they did is that they killed any person who had a bath in his house, because having a bath in the house was done mostely by muslims only at that time.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 03:33 am
Wilso

Do not ever, ever fly Air India or Pakistani Airline.
I'm speaking through experience.

When I was a supervisor in a bank. I have sent home an Armenian Lady to take a shower and report back to work. I have done this three times to the same person and luckily I did not get any complaints from her.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 03:43 am
barhoooooom wrote:
. at least once a week every muslim baths and specially on fridays.

At least once a week? I can't even sleep if I haven't showered sometime that evening!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 04:50 am
I hate showers. I hate stinking more tho. Plus my hair gets really greasy if I don't shower at least every 36 hours. That's about as far as I can push it, too. OKay, so I'm lazy.

But I always shower before work, and unless I've showered on a Sunday night, I shower before school on Monday. I shower before going out too, like on a weekend or something.

I've been homeless, and know what it's like to go without a shower. Best shower I ever had was when I convinced my parents to let me move back in.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 01:47 pm
Wilso, you are Australian.
In Australia, and in the American continent, people tend to shower every day.
It's a cultural thing.

In Europe, unless it's the summer, the norm is once a week or once a fortnight.
Middle easterners are known to be more fond of bathing than Europeans.
Friends have told me that people in Pakistan and Afghanistan wash very little.
It's a cultural thing.

Nothing to do with religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
The Japanese and Koreans, in my experience, were just as dedicated to bathing as the Americans. I like the ritual aspect of it. They will often simply squat down with a bucket of soapy water, wash themselves, and then pour clear water over themselves to rinse. But, usually at least once a week, they will engage in a protracted bathing ritual, involving the aforementioned method of getting clean, followed by a soaking in water as hot as they can stand it. This, at least, was true in rural area of both countries 30 years ago.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 10:10 pm
Re: Is that also against their religion?
Wilso wrote:
My god, the smell of a woman has never turned me off so much.

Wilso<

View this smelly episode on the positive side. Now, you know exactly what to give this woman for Christmas.

Idea
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 11:44 pm
I hear they like to use scented oils, feel it's more healthy.

I like that showers are warm, and sort of massaging. Having a good shower pressure and temp. is important to having an enjoyable shower. So are smells. I buy way too many bath products, because they have good smells. I especially like ones with natural ingredients, not all chemically. Unfortunately, the shower I have now is a dinky 1 person veritcal shower, like the one the sims have to use when they're poor in the sims video game. My parents have a nice roomy spa jet bathtub, oh how I miss it.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 11:51 pm
Portal Star wrote:
I hear they like to use scented oils, feel it's more healthy.

Perhaps they are using aromatherapy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:19 am
fbaezer wrote:
Wilso, you are Australian.
In Australia, and in the American continent, people tend to shower every day.
It's a cultural thing.

In Europe, unless it's the summer, the norm is once a week or once a fortnight.
Middle easterners are known to be more fond of bathing than Europeans.
Friends have told me that people in Pakistan and Afghanistan wash very little.
It's a cultural thing.

Nothing to do with religion.

But do they have any idea just how awful they smell to someone who washes every day? Body odour is one of the most god-awful smells on earth.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:03 am
Usually they don't (have any idea how they smell). People are immune to their smell sometimes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:17 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Usually they don't (have any idea how they smell). People are immune to their smell sometimes.

As I noted earlier, orientals often find the smell of Americans -- caused by eating lots of beef -- offensive.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:17 am
Craven- Agree. In their culture, that is how people are supposed to smell! I wonder what those folks think about people in America who reek of perfume or after shave?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:15 am
Considering the cost of a steak meal in Japan, I'm not surprised that they don't eat much beef.

I also heard someone mention once that most of the milk and beef in Japan has a fishy taste, because they feed the cows fishmeal.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:16 am
Just remembered where I heard that. It was an interview with an Aussie comedian who toured there.
0 Replies