How did the World Trade Center collapse?

parados

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:54 am
@JTT,
Quote:
WTC7 wasn't hit by an airplane yet it went straight down like a stone. How could this happen when there were only fires here and there and nothing even remotely like the raging fires in the Windsor Building?

WTC 7 didn't go down in 45 minutes nor was it built like the Windsor building. You are now mixing apples and oranges and claiming they are vegetables.
WTC7 was damaged by the collapse of the towers, weakened by the ground shaking when the towers went down and had fire. The Windsor had no plane hitting it and no large building next to it collapsing.

Quote:
What are the chances that when a building, [three of them actually, in one day!], in situations like this, reaches the point of failure, that that failure is going to result in a straight drop? Purty damn small considering that the fires were not that hot, nor were they widespread.

What are the chances of 2 of the buildings being hit by airplanes? Purty damn small and yet it obviously happened, one of the airplanes visible on live TV.

Quote:
In particular, the perimeter columns were designed with tremendous reserve strength whereby "live loads on these columns can be increased more than 2,000% before failure occurs."

It wasn't the columns that initially failed so that statement is meaningless.

Quote:

How do two buildings go down when nearly all the columns were not subjected to any dangerous temperatures, with or without insulation and there was a 2000% safety factor?

Sure, your evidence that temperatures weren't dangerous is what? The fact that the buildings are still standing?
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:55 am
@parados,
You sound like you're hyperventilating, Parados. Take it easy. The issues surrounding this event are complex and they are puzzling. I'm actually dumfounded by the lack of curiosity on the part of way too many people; there are way too many Alfred E Neumans.

Quote:
WTC 7 didn't go down in 45 minutes nor was it built like the Windsor building. You are now mixing apples and oranges and claiming they are vegetables.
WTC7 was damaged by the collapse of the towers, weakened by the ground shaking when the towers went down and had fire. The Windsor had no plane hitting it and no large building next to it collapsing.

WTC7 was a steel frame structure like the others, was it not? How did it differ from the Windsor?

Is that your own theory, Parados, that "WTC7 was damaged by the collapse of the towers, weakened by the ground shaking when the towers went down"?

Why didn't all the other buildings around this area go down from this massive earthquake. How deep was the foundation for WTC7?

Quote:
What are the chances of 2 of the buildings being hit by airplanes? Purty damn small and yet it obviously happened, one of the airplanes visible on live TV.

Not small at all. In fact, Bush was warned that this was a possibility. And with four of them in the air, two dedicated to the towers, all fighter jets mysteriously awol, the only thing surprising is that the "pilot" of the second jet wasn't able to hit dead center, considering what the "pilot" of the Pentagon missile, err, airplane was able to do.

But speaking of mixing apples and oranges, what has this to do with the "controlled" falls that all these buildings had. Random failure of widely disparate pieces of steel doesn't create straight drops.

Why do all these controlled demolition teams go to such trouble if it's such a waste of time?

Quote:
It wasn't the columns that initially failed so that statement is meaningless.

Not at all meaningless when you try to mislead by intimating,

"Let's see.. steel protected by coating lasts 18 hours. Steel not protected by coating lasts only 45 minutes. That kind of gives you an idea how IMPORTANT fire protection is in a building, doesn't it?"

that a large number of the "uprights" were subject to some sort of massive failure.

Quote:
Sure, your evidence that temperatures weren't dangerous is what?

That NIST findings made clear that "most perimeter panels (157 of 160) saw no temperature above 250C". That was right in my last posting, one that I want to assume you read.

Quote:
Additionally this summary states that the perimeter columns softened, yet your findings (NIST) make clear that "most perimeter panels (157 of 160) saw no temperature above 250C".
parados

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:22 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
WTC7 was a steel frame structure like the others, was it not? How did it differ from the Windsor?

And this is after you had the temerity to accuse others of lacking curiosity?

Not all steel structures are equal JTT. The towers were very different from WTC7.

Quote:
Why didn't all the other buildings around this area go down from this massive earthquake.
All the other buildings weren't damaged by rubble falling on them as well as fire. Why didn't ALL the buildings in Haiti collapse? Some did, some didn't. Pointing to the ones that did as proof of some man made plot to destroy them would be asinine. But then so is pointing to WTC7 that way.

Quote:
That NIST findings made clear that "most perimeter panels (157 of 160) saw no temperature above 250C". That was right in my last posting, one that I want to assume you read.
That is just silly JTT. It is like arguing that the Golden Gate bridge can't collapse unless the towers collapse, but I guarantee that if you cut all the cables the bridge deck will be gone. The perimeter panels in the towers were not designed to hold the entire weight of 7 floors falling on them. Maybe you should use some of that curiosity you think you have and look at the actual engineering of the buildings.
djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
How did the World Trade Center collapse?

the terrorists brought down the towers

http://visibility911.com/ford/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rumsfeld_bush_cheney.jpg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
STEEL BUILDINGS DON'T COLLAPSE SYMMETRICALLY AT A FREEFALL SPEED BECAUSE THEIR ON FIRE YOU FUCKEN RETARDS!!! IT WOULD BE THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY

BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@parados,
Quote:
And this is after you had the temerity to accuse others of lacking curiosity?

Not all steel structures are equal JTT. The towers were very different from WTC7.

That was not adressed to you, Parados, but you really haven't offered much more than your opinions, opinions that seem to be to direct the conversation away from any serious inquiry. You really haven't brought much of anything to the table, wouldn't you agree?

Do you mean to suggest that there are robust discussions going on across America on this topic?

Quote:
All the other buildings weren't damaged by rubble falling on them as well as fire. Why didn't ALL the buildings in Haiti collapse? Some did, some didn't. Pointing to the ones that did as proof of some man made plot to destroy them would be asinine. But then so is pointing to WTC7 that way.

More opinion, Parados.

Have you come across much in the way of "man made plots" here?

Quote:
That is just silly JTT. It is like arguing that the Golden Gate bridge can't collapse unless the towers collapse, but I guarantee that if you cut all the cables the bridge deck will be gone.

I dare say that the bridge deck would be gone, if you cut the cables. No argument there. Why did you bring it up?

That doesn't mean the towers would all go too.

And what of the picture perfect collapses?

Quote:

The perimeter panels in the towers were not designed to hold the entire weight of 7 floors falling on them. Maybe you should use some of that curiosity you think you have and look at the actual engineering of the buildings.

You might have a point, Parados, but 2000%, that's two thousand percent. Looking over your calculations, I can't say that I agree with you totally.

Quote:
Engineering News Record

The Engineering News Record (ENR) contained a number of articles on the design and construction of the World Trade Center. The article "How Columns Will Be Designed for 110-Story Buildings" quotes lead architect John Skilling:

"live loads on these [perimeter] columns can be increased more than 2000% before failure occurs."
--John Skilling, in Engineering News Record, 4/2/1964

Quote:
Design Claims

Worthington, Skilling, Helle & Jackson White Paper

A white paper on the structure of the Twin Towers carried out by the firm of Worthington, Skilling, Helle & Jackson contained eleven numbered points, including:

3. The buildings have been investigated and found to be safe in an assumed collision with a large jet airliner (Boeing 707-DC 8) traveling at 600 miles per hour. Analysis indicates that such collision would result in only local damage which could not cause collapse or substantial damage to the building and would not endanger the lives and safety of occupants not in the immediate area of impact.

bold and underline are mine

--City in the Sky, p 131
Glanz and Lipton summarize the findings of the white paper:

The Vierendeel trusses would be so effective, according to the engineers' calculations, that all the columns on one side of a tower could be cut, as well as the two corners and several columns on the adjacent sides, and the tower would still be strong enough to withstand a 100-mile-per-hour wind.
--City in the Sky, p 133

bold is mine

The Richard Roth Telegram

A telegraph from the architectural firm Richard Roth, partner at Emery Roth & Sons, was distributed to reporters on February 14, 1965. The telegraph was in response to claims by real estate baron and Lawrence Wien that the design of the Twin Towers was unsound.

THE STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS CARRIED OUT BY THE FIRM OF WORTHINGTON, SKILLING, HELLE & JACKSON IS THE MOST COMPLETE AND DETAILED OF ANY EVER MADE FOR ANY BUILDING STRUCTURE. THE PRELIMINARY CALCULATIONS ALONE COVER 1,200 PAGES AND INVOLVE OVER 100 DETAILED DRAWINGS.
4. BECAUSE OF ITS CONFIGURATION, WHICH IS ESSENTIALLY THAT OF A STEEL BEAM 209' DEEP, THE TOWERS ARE ACTUALLY FAR LESS DARING STRUCTURALLY THAN A CONVENTIONAL BUILDING SUCH AS THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING WHERE THE SPINE OR BRACED AREA OF THE BUILDING IS FAR SMALLER IN RELATION TO ITS HEIGHT.
5. THE BUILDING AS DESIGNED IS SIXTEEN TIMES STIFFER THAN A CONVENTIONAL STRUCTURE. THE DESIGN CONCEPT IS SO SOUND THAT THE STRUCTURAL ENGINEER HAS BEEN ABLE TO BE ULTRA-CONSERVATIVE IN HIS DESIGN WITHOUT ADVERSELY AFFECTING THE ECONOMICS OF THE STRUCTURE. ...
--City in the Sky, p 134-6

capitals are not mine

One has to wonder why a building, two actually, that were designed to take the hit of a theoretical fully loaded Boeing707/DC8 with a full load of fuel, which the actual planes that hit were not carrying, went down, when the designers said, let me quote it again,

"... that all the columns on one side of a tower could be cut, as well as the two corners and several columns on the adjacent sides, and the tower would still be strong enough to withstand a 100-mile-per-hour wind.

bold is mine

Was it all just engineering hype? Can someone point me to, in the American press, among the public, what should be voluminous discussions of why these two towers went down when the engineers said, pretty much, that it was an impossibility?

parados

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:03 pm
@JTT,
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/wtc082108.html

Quote:
The team said that the smallest blast event capable of crippling the critical column would have produced a “sound level of 130 to 140 decibels at a distance of half a mile,” yet no noise this loud was reported by witnesses or recorded on videos.

Oh.. they must have used the SILENT explosives I guess.

Report on Collapse of WTC7

Quote:
You might have a point, Parados, but 2000%, that's two thousand percent. Looking over your calculations, I can't say that I agree with you totally.
I can see why you wouldn't agree. You have no curiosity to figure out material strengths or why they weaken when heated. I didn't provide any calculations, but then neither did you.

But hey.. guess what.. These guys did
http://wtc.nist.gov/NCSTAR1/PDF/NCSTAR%201-6C.pdf

You don't even understand that the towers were built differently from WTC7.

Here's a simple one for you. How long did the fires burn in WTC7 before the building collapsed?

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:26 pm
The mythbusters took this on and disproved the conspiracy. I'm going to take their word on it, that.. and common sense.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:20 am
Label me a nut forever.

I couldnt care less Smile

I. dont. buy it.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:40 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili, that's dumb!

There are hundreds of scientists who say it couldn't happen as it's been said to have happened. Common sense tells us that buildings specifically designed to take a hit from a 747 and survive, shouldn't fall into neat little piles.

There are many pilots who say that these guys couldn't have flown some of the patterns these "pilots" flew.

Again, the lack of intellectual curiosity, and not just you, astounds me.
Ceili

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:29 pm
@JTT,
Really... I've seen all the crazies and the heard all the conspiracies and the lack of critical thinking astounds me. It amazes me that even after all the info given people still look for the bizarre to answer life's anomalies. I had no idea the architect had designed the building to with stand a direct hit from a 747. Amazing foresight that!
Imagine if you will the sheer amount of people, energy, time and planning it would have taken to create this mess and keep it under wraps, but hey... If you need to continue to believe, knock yourself out. I choose to believe the experts not the idiots. Me thinks your "scientists" are missing a wee bit of gray matter. C'est la vie.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:33 pm
i stand by this post
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
and i stand by this http://able2know.org/topic/141399-2#post-3910062 post.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:20 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
There are hundreds of scientists who say it couldn't happen as it's been said to have happened.

hundreds of engineers? Or hundreds of biologists?

Quote:

There are many pilots who say that these guys couldn't have flown some of the patterns these "pilots" flew

There are also "many" pilots that claim to have been abducted by aliens.

Quote:
Again, the lack of intellectual curiosity, and not just you, astounds me.

As I pointed out earlier, it is YOUR lack of curiosity that is the problem. You haven't addressed any the engineering report about the collapse. Instead of doing something "intellectual" like looking at it and finding out the truth of it, you rely on internet crap from psuedo "scientists".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:01 pm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:47 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

The mythbusters took this on and disproved the conspiracy. I'm going to take their word on it, that.. and common sense.

I'm with you. I guess we must be a couple of conspiracy nuts, actually falling for something so ridiculous as facts and scientific proof.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:48 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

STEEL BUILDINGS DON'T COLLAPSE SYMMETRICALLY AT A FREEFALL SPEED BECAUSE THEIR ON FIRE YOU FUCKEN RETARDS!!! IT WOULD BE THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY

BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE

Bullshit.
Amigo

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:08 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Amigo wrote:

BECAUSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE

Bullshit.
What'ya got?

How does a steel building collapse symmetrically at close to freefall speed because it's on fire?

And when has it happened before?
parados

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:05 am
@Amigo,
When has a steel building ever been allowed to burn for hours without fighting the fire?

When you can find me one of those, then we can talk about the next requirements.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:25 am
How did it collapse? I did it.

I did it.

I organized the whole thing. There were roughly 498 people involved in the direct attack and most of them were able to keep quiet (all 1 of them) so we were able to make it happen without too much inquiry. But now there are all these brainiacs who are bringing our evil plot to light and it makes me fear for my life. I mean, if "they" can take out all those people, "they" can surely take out me, right?

Damn them. Damn them all.
0 Replies