Covers that are better than the original

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:51 pm
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:50 am
Television talent shows always have young singers doing covers. Alex Parks won a British talent search in 2003.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:05 am
A bit of sad news: Hazel Dickens has died.

panzade

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 09:54 am
@plainoldme,
I'm bummed. She was the real deal
plainoldme

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:14 am
@panzade,
She was
0 Replies

royable

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Last Kiss by Pearl Jam originally sung by Wayne Cochran.
panzade

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
@royable,
I think it was J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers who had the hit but you're right, Cochran did it first.
Good one.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 02:24 am
I'm not sure this is exactly "cover songs that are better than the originals" but it is a sort of specialized case of "ad music that is better than any ad music they've done up to now"--I was watching this week's "Big Bang Theory" and a Subaru commercial came on and I thought "Damn, who is that, it sure sounds like the Pogues", and I googled it and it was, yes, the POGUES, the anarchistic, drunken sot, rotten teeth, Celtic folk punk rockers brilliant madmen, doing "If I Should Fall from Grace with God", the POGUES doing a car commercial about hockey moms. This world is getting very strange.

and here's the commercial
Thomas

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:45 am
Many covers of Pete Seeger's songs are better than his orignal. Here are two examples:

The Byrds covering Seeger's Turn turn turn

Marlene Dietrich covering Pete Seeger's Where have all the flowers gone?

panzade

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
kudos to the producer of the ad. Great
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
Maybe Spider and his wife are financing the house they are building in New orleans.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:15 am
I just checked, and the song, You Made me Love You, was composed nearly 100 years ago.

Over the years I’ve heard a number of renditions but never, not once, did I like the song at all, until I heard Rebecca Jenkins do it. It’s not on Youtube, but I did find it on her website. While I personally adore the entire performance, I might have given up on it, if I had stopped just a few bars in. It’s from the 1989 Bye Bye Blues movie soundtrack.

Here’s a link to the song:

http://www.rebeccajenkins.ca/MusicSounds/ByeByeBluesCD/14%20-%20You%20Made%20Me%20Love%20You(1).mp3

panzade

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:26 am
@Joeblow,
Try this.
http://www.rebeccajenkins.ca/MusicPages/ByeByeBlues.htm

edit. Not working either.
edit. working

edit. She's fabulous
Joeblow

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:35 am
@panzade,
Oh, damn. My link worked perfectly for me in "my documents" but you're right, I buggered it somehow when I posted here. Your link did work though..scroll down just a little - song # 14. Takes just a second or two to load. Thanks!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:36 am
@panzade,
I think so too (she's fabulous)
panzade

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:03 am
@Joeblow,
If you like her that much...she must be a Canuck
Very Happy
Joeblow

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:33 am
@panzade,
I believe she IS actually Razz

Certainly the film was Canadian (but don't let that stop you -- I thought it was quite good, too).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 08:12 am
I think it might be heresy to say that this version is better than the original. It is different. The song -- Leon Rosselson's The World Turned Upside Down, from as late as 1975 -- was an instant favorite of mine from my first hearing of it.

While you might not know Rosselson's name, you surely know of a project in which he was involved that spawned a similar one in the US: Rosselson wrote satirical songs for the original British show, "That Was the Week That Was," which began just after the Profumo scandal broke. The host David Frost brought the show to America during the heady times that we thought were "the early days of a better nation," to quote another song.

Although I love Rosselson's own version, his voice and guitar playing aren't strong. Dick Gaughan does a magnificent version and Billy Bragg has also covered it (haven't heard his version). Gaughan and Rosselson sing it as a ballad. The Oysterband returns to their roots and do it as a dance number.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPb6J45CISM

Speaking of oysterband, I put together a Pandora account a long time ago and established one station, Christie Moore. Then I didn't return. I'm going to see Bruce Cockburn (finally) a week from today and had a hunger for his music. I turned to Pandora rather than youtube. I like Pandora but the software provides you not just with songs from the artist you seek but with "similar" artists. Some of them are just not similar enough. When I tired of Pandora's Cockburn clones, I started a new station for the oysters. The first number up was an oysterband cover of a Cockburn song. I had no idea they covered him.

So while we're at it, why don't I give you Gaughan's version. If he looks impossibly young, it is because this a BBC presentation from 1982. His guitar is powerful and so is his very Scots voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWzzvnPOyTM
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 12:18 am
The incomparable June Tabor performs early Dylan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvIdPe34JTI&feature=my_favorites&list=FLzRFUSnDizy0
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:59 am
@Thomas,
Agree on both, although I still have my Seeger album. I've somehow seen Dietrich singing that before, and it gave me a chill just to see the youtube photo now, not even playing it yet. (Went over to youtube and favorited it).
0 Replies