Ebert's GREAT MOVIES Part Six: "The Godfather"

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:46 am
The film that pulls one inside the Mafia, showing them as ordinary people except these are extraordinary people. I think it is obvious that it inspired "The Sopranos" and it has a look and feel where the atmosphere of underlying evil never overtakes the character studies. Copolla was yet to make "Apocalypse Now, " the film that the Sight and Sound poll of critics and directors named as the best film of the last twenty-five years (I disagree, but I didn't get to vote!) I think we can include all three films -- they were compiled into one on video as The Godfather Saga and it's difficult to think of it as one film (I think the same will be true of the entire "Lord of the Rings" trilogy).

A link to Ebert's Essay:

THE GODFATHER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,207 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:53 am
I enjoyed the second movie, which showed the early life of Don Corleone. It was also in watching this movie that i decided that Puzo had used Salvatore Lucania as his model for Don Corleone. Salvatore Lucania is known to Americans as "Lucky" Luciano.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:55 am
But of course! It's unfortunate that the third film wasn't as compelling as the first two, but such a level of excellence must be difficult to sustain.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:57 am
You're quick, Setanta -- I hadn't added the poll or Ebert link.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:18 am
I think the best film is the first one. The Godfather II gives you more historical context and political insight. But The Godfather is better as cinema.

I must say I liked The Godfather against my own pretentious teenager wishes. A mafia blockbuster couldn't be Great Cinema. When I felt my heart pounding (during the scene in which Michael searches for the hidden gun in the john), I realized the power of the film had beaten my snobishness.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:49 am
I saw one, or possibly all, of The Godfathers.
I definitely saw the first one.
It was not my kind of movie.
I'm sorry!
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:52 am
I just thought I'd vote twice.
It can't be done.
Nice work!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:11 pm
This may be heresy, but I never cared for Marlon Brando in the role. He looked and sounded like a gerbil with laryngitis! Very Happy I thought that Pacino did a magnificent Job in Godfather II.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:25 pm
Godfather

Hi, Mr. Wizard. I voted for Brando, because of the scene with his grandson in the garden. It was my understanding that the entire thing was improvised by MB, just as Eddie Murphy came up with an instant way to get his character into an exclusive club in Beverly Hills Cop. I saw all of the Godfather movies, but the first and second were the best.

Oh, yes..and the singer in the movie, as well as the book, had to be the Chairman of the Board. What a jerk Sinatra was. How can anyone with such a fantastic voice be such a prick. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:36 pm
Sinatra wasn't too happy with that character "coincidence." Does anyone note that Tony Soprano's voice isn't that far away from the Brando characterization? I did give it to Pacino for his work in Part II.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:08 pm
IMHO, great movie! I liked the first the best. I don't remember details, but I voted for Caan. Pacino is always great, but I remember the intensity of Caan's character (and the violence).

As an aside, "The Freshman" contains a fun parody of "The Godfather" character. I loved that movie too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:50 pm
I recently saw "The Freshman" for a second time on cable and enjoyed its sly homages to "The Godfather" and Brando looked like he was having a ball basically reprising the role for laughs. Mathew Broderick really holds his own in the film, getting the most out of this character. Really an underrated comedy.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:02 pm
O-okay....I'm back on board after technical difficulties, (whaddaya' mean nobody missed me? )
I count this as my alltime favorite series of films, with the first 2, each standing alone as favorites.The movies had an incredible balance of reality and drama.
Too many people, I believe the most memorable single word in film, is "Rosebud", but to me it's "No", as spoken by Michael to his wife when she asked him if he had killed his brother-in-law. It wasn't so easy to do either,I remember Joe Montegna tried to do essentially the same thing in "The Last Don", but didn't quite pull it off.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:21 pm
I missed booman..glad to see you in the loge..
Wish I could think of more...so tired...goodnight all...See you in the movies Very Happy

from florida
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:46 pm
It was that distant look on Michael's face when he denied the killing -- chilled me to the bone.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:30 pm
Did you see Joe Montegna try it gw? it made me appreciate Al Pacino even more. BTW, look again I didn't see it as distant. The chilling part was that he could look dead into her eyes, with such psuedo sincerity.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:01 pm
I thought Marlon Brando was perfect as the old guard don, but Al Pacino was mesmerizing and much more frightening. His character's cool sophistication seemed the epitomy of evil.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:05 pm
Letty, I totally agree with what you said about Frank Sinatra although, coming from such a lady, it was a little shocking!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:32 pm
Godfather series
LightWiz
*I agree that the Godfather movie series
are, naturally, a trilogy and quite good,
where others fail
*Can't believe Apocalypse Now EVER
won anything! It sucked.
*I do wish Irving would get with it and
get a miniseries or something like that
for Cider House Rules. There is such a
wealth of characters development to be
fleshed out. I can easily see how at least
one 2 hour show would be needed to
inform us, about Wilbut Larch, his background
and how he came to the orphanage in St. Clouds.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 02:30 am
I voted for Brando because he can put his heart and soul into any part he plays. He is the part. Al would have been my second choice.
0 Replies