Please save my sanity!!

zex

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 12:48 pm
Guys...turtles and tortoises both have parents. A mother and a father. This kind of eliminates the answer.
0 Replies

andrewcarlin

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 02:25 pm
Yeah paddy. No imagination and no sense...of humour.lol
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:56 pm
zex wrote:
Guys...turtles and tortoises both have parents. A mother and a father. This kind of eliminates the answer.

I'm not convinced turtle or tortoise is the answer either, for the same reason....what else have you got??
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 07:14 pm
http://www.idnmusic.com/bands/pas.html

Try also "Phoenix" (via Google) with reference to "Logos" (In the beginning was the Word)
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:08 am
Quote:
Try also "Phoenix" (via Google) with reference to "Logos" (In the beginning was the Word)

So what would the answer be, fresco?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:59 am
The answer could be "The Phoenix" if you can reconcile "the Buzzard". Alternatively perhaps you can investigate the song title.
0 Replies

seancarlin

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
maybe its a treefrog
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 09:18 pm
I have never been totally satisfied by the answers on offer for this one and I just thought of something.

"Laid by the buzzard and hatched by the sun"

This is an old saying that basically means something of unknown origin.

"Mother and father I had none, I spoke my first word and never spoke again"

This is a riddle I have seen before and the answer is thunder.

I think the answer to this one is thunder and the first part has just been added to throw people off. They're just saying nobody knows where thunder comes from, (which I know is not strictly true but it fits.)
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:37 pm
Adrian wrote:
I have never been totally satisfied by the answers on offer for this one and I just thought of something.

"Laid by the buzzard and hatched by the sun"

This is an old saying that basically means something of unknown origin.

"Mother and father I had none, I spoke my first word and never spoke again"

This is a riddle I have seen before and the answer is thunder.

I think the answer to this one is thunder and the first part has just been added to throw people off. They're just saying nobody knows where thunder comes from, (which I know is not strictly true but it fits.)
Ok guys, I guess I should start from the beginning. This is a riddle my boss told me several months ago. He said his mother told it to him when he was young. He would ask if he could do something, and she would say he could only if he could answer the riddle. But he never could. It took him 40 years to finally figure it out. Now he says that he will give me a week off with pay if I can come up with the answer. I found a similar riddle on another site and the answer was "thunder". But when I tried that, he said it was very close, but not quite right. (He said that thunder "speaks" again). He says that my problem is that I'm over thinking it. So, to make a long story short, I'm quite sure it's not any of the Darwinian answers above. They're much too complicated.....and again, he said thunder was close.
Now that you have the full story, does anyone have any more suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. :wink:
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:01 pm
I think that the answer your boss is looking for is GOD.
My explanation for the first two line stands, (nobody knows where god came from). The third line fits, (god had no father or mother). The last two lines kinda fit, (god spoke only one word according to the bible).
Let me know if that's it will ya?
0 Replies

zex

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 01:11 am
God spoke more than one word, when he spoke to Moses. Unless you're talking about a direct quote...and still, he says "Let there be light". The whole creation story. Much more than one word.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 05:35 am
[edited
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 08:55 am
Amazing!

A riddle.

And enough venom spewed to fill a thread about politics or religion.

Everyone in this thread ought to hand his/her head in shame -- including me.
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 06:19 pm
To everyone except kev (who can keep his suggestions to himself), has the "suggestion well" dried up?
0 Replies

LapsusAntepedis

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:23 pm
Damn...
Now you got me started! I'll never get this out of my head!!! ARGH!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:16 pm
The answer is "lightning" why? see "help" by sweetypete
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:49 am
kev wrote:
The answer is "lightning" why? see "help" by sweetypete

For any who read this, I have not been able to confirm yet whether or not this is the correct answer, so please feel free to continue to offer suggestions. As soon as I know something, I will let you know. Thanks again for all your help. :wink:
0 Replies

sweetypete

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:11 am
Sorry to say, Kev......I talked with my boss and he said "lightning" is NOT the correct answer. Thanks anyway, but I guess it's back to square one......
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:04 pm
I don't have any suggestions for ou sweetypete, sorry.

I just wanted to say to those who suggested "turtoise" for the answer that it presumes prior knowledge of buzzard and turtoise practices. Whilst knowing that the turtoise lays her eggs in the sand may be more commonly known, the buzzard bit isn't. I don't live, nor have I ever lived in an area with buzzards. I don't recall the last time I ever encountered buzzard info in the form of a television show, reading or classroom teaching. I may have learned of their dining preferences when I was in elementary school, but trust me, that was too long ago to remember.

I agree with sweetypete though, I think there is more involved in the riddle. And as Adrian said, it seems that first line (or 2 depending on how you break it up) is an old saying from what I read on sites from Google.

A week of with pay sure would be sweet! Smile Hope you find the answer soon sweetypete!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:11 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Amazing!

A riddle.

And enough venom spewed to fill a thread about politics or religion.

I know Frank! Isn't it surprising how easily people get their panties in a twist during exchanges on the internet? There is no tone to back up the words and I find it interesting that (generally speaking) people have a tendency to assume the negative rather than the positive. And of the latter, I'm including more than just internet communication. Human behaviour never ceases to amaze. Smile
0 Replies