'Deadliest Catch' Capt. Phil Harris Has Died After Massive Stroke

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:26 am
'Deadliest Catch' Capt. Phil Harris Has Died After Massive Stroke

By Mark Memmott

http://media.npr.org/assets/blogs/thetwo-way/images/2010/02/harris.jpg?s=1

"Phil Harris, the fishing boat captain whose adventures off the Alaska coast were captured on the television show Deadliest Catch, has died, the Discovery Channel said Tuesday night. He was 53." (The Associated Press)

Fans who wish to leave condolences and see some video highlights from Capt. Harris' time on the show can click here.

The Discovery network says "we will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

As the AP reported earlier, Harris suffered the stroke on Jan. 29, while his fishing vessel, the Cornelia Marie, was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. He was flown to Anchorage for treatment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:37 am
@djjd62,
His voice was the one that was most redolent of years of regular nicotine use.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:01 am
@farmerman,
I'd seen commercials for that show, but was never able to bring myself to watch it.

I know how dangerous being a deep sea fisherman is. One of my favorite people in my childhood, a man I wished could have been my father, died by drowning when his boat sank. He was all alone. Gus Mazoky was his name.
Adding in the frigid waters in Alaska, the winds and storms, the thought of it grips my stomach and chest. I really don't like the ocean.

A friend of my brother was out in the ocean in his speed boat, he hit a wave, and he came down on the console, breaking his jaw and knocking him out. The boat was headed out to sea, but when he came down he turned the wheel enough so that he was going in circles. Someone in another vessel saw what looked like an empty boat, going really fast, in a big curve. Bobby always went fast.
So he was saved.

Sympathies to Phil's family.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@djjd62,
Thanx for posting that, deej, but no link shows up in your post despite the invitation to "click here."
djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Fans who wish to leave condolences and see some video highlights from Capt. Harris' time on the show can click here.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/phil-harris/
0 Replies