steissd

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:15 am
Canada, surely, is not in charge of the security of the U.S. borders. But both countries share the same enemy, namely, the international terrorism, and IMHO, they should cooperate with each other in preventing terrorists entering territories of any of them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:13 am
The Canadian responsibility does begin with them letting the suspects into their country but doesn't that mean that we have holes in our security not to notify the authorities there? Several of the suspects were already pegged before they entered Canada.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:15 am
BTW -- actually, Katie Couric's bit was made fun of (I could have done without the realism of looking in someone else's colon) but it prompted me to go in for the proceedure and it's a good thing I did! What has FOX done for you lately except give you high blood pressure?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:17 am
steissd

Well, apart from my lack of affinity for the handy-dandy phrase 'international terrorism'...would it apply, for example, to the following bombing?
Quote:
The King David Hotel was the site of the British military command and the British Criminal Investigation Division. The Irgun chose it as a target after British troops invaded the Jewish Agency June 29, 1946, and confiscated large quantities of documents. At about the same time, more than 2,500 Jews from all over Palestine were placed under arrest. The information about Jewish Agency operations, including intelligence activities in Arab countries, was taken to the King David Hotel.

Apart from that little nit pick...I think our national police force and intelligence agency are probably cooperating with the FBI, at least as well as the CIA is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:47 am
I'd warrant the FBI gets better cooperation out of the RCMP than they do out of CIA--no turf wars there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:04 am
Having said ". . . at least as well as the CIA is." you haven't said much, unless there have been some serious improvements in the past year.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:49 am
This discussion of FBI & CIA cooperation suddenly brought to mind the scene from Dr. Strangelove in which George C. Scott is whining to the President: "But, Mr. President, he'll see the big board ! ! ! "
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 03:34 pm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 03:49 pm
New information (to me) and a new perspective is always welcome, steissd.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:26 pm
OK. I am going to start the anti-terrorist war of my own tomorrow: from 12.31.02 I am drafted to the active reserve service... So, Happy New Year to everyone, I shall not be able to make such wishes online tomorrow...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:48 pm
As an officer again, I presume. Else they will waste some valuable experience.

Happy New Year
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:26 pm
steissd

That's a good post. thank you. I wish you a sincere good year and safety.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 07:55 am
Some war on terrorism.

Is anyone even looking for Bin Laden? like, seriously.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/04/23/ap2689683.html

Quote:
Update 3: In Tape, Bin Laden Urges Fighters to Sudan
By STEVEN R. HURST , 04.23.2006, 09:17 AM

Osama bin Laden issued ominous new threats in an audiotape broadcast Sunday, purportedly saying the West was at war with Islam and calling on his followers to go to Sudan to fight a proposed U.N. force in Darfur.

In his first new message in three months, bin Laden said the West's decision to cut off funds to the Palestinians because their Hamas leaders refuse to recognize Israel proved that the United States and Europe were conducting "a Zionist crusader war on Islam."

"The blockade which the West is imposing on the government of Hamas proves that there is a Zionist crusader war on Islam," said the speaker on the tape broadcast by the Al-Jazeera network.

"I say that this war is the joint responsibility of the people and the governments. While the war continues, the people renew their allegiance to their rulers and politicians and continue to send their sons to our countries to fight us."

<snip>

Well, at least we know bin Laden's keeping up with the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure hope steissd's ok.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 07:58 am
Funny how conservatives never bring this up. Have you ever noticed how many times the condemn Clinton because he never killed bin Laden? But not a word against our "War President" for allowing him to escape from Tora Bora.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
xingu, Anybody with half a brain will realize the inconsistencies of this administration. The only problem we have at the moment is the simple fact that most Americans lack half a brain.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 06:18 pm
Commander expects no clear Afghan victory: report Agence France-Presse
Published: Saturday October 4, 2008

LONDON (AFP) — The top military commander in Afghanistan said in an interview Sunday the public should not expect "decisive military victory" there, only the reduction of the insurgency to manageable levels.

Brigadier Mark Carleton-Smith, commander of 16 Air Assault Brigade, which has just completed its second tour in Afghanistan, told the Sunday Times that people should "lower their expectations" about how the conflict will end.

He also said Britons should prepare for a possible deal with the Taliban.

"We're not going to win this war. It's about reducing it to a manageable level of insurgency that's not a strategic threat and can be managed by the Afghan army," he told the newspaper.

Carleton-Smith said his forces had "taken the sting out of the Taliban for 2008" but said it would be "unrealistic and probably incredible" to think that the multinational forces in Afghanistan could rid the country of armed bands.

"We may well leave with there still being a low but steady ebb of rural insurgency... I don't think we should expect that when we go there won't be roaming bands of armed men in this part of the world," he said.

The brigadier added: "If the Taliban were prepared to sit on the other side of the table and talk about a political settlement, then that's precisely the sort of progress that concludes insurgencies like this.

"That shouldn't make people uncomfortable."

Britain has 7,800 troops in Afghanistan as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and US-led operations.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 06:41 pm
@blueflame1,
When Palin disagreed with Biden on how a surge like the one in Iraq will not work, Palin jumped in and told Biden he was wrong.

The reason I'm reeterating this piece is that it seems not only is the American commander in Afghanistan confirming Biden, but the British commander.

And the wonder of wonders, Palin may become the CIC without even having current information about the military tactics now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's almost an irony that the British commander is talking about "a possible deal with the Taliban," when McCain said he will not negotiate with our enemies. He said it would provide them with "legitimacy." Seems McCain's experience in the military didn't help him much.

0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 03:24 am
I was wondering - if Chechens hit the Kremlin with an Aeroflot aircraft, and the military headquarters of the Russian army with another.
http://www.tyl.mil.ru/page0.htm
Probably Moscow would drop an A-bomb on Chechnya?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
Whistleblower: Bin Laden was US proxy until 9/11

By Muriel Kane

In an interview last month with blogger Brad Friedman, whistleblower Sibel Edmonds dropped a bombshell when a caller asked a question about 9/11.

The former FBI translator carefully replied, “I have information about things that our government has lied to us about. I know. For example, to say that since the fall of the Soviet Union we ceased all of our intimate relationship with Bin Laden and the Taliban - those things can be proven as lies, very easily, based on the information they classified in my case, because we did carry very intimate relationship with these people, and it involves Central Asia, all the way up to September 11.”

Australian blogger Luke Ryland has now filled in more details of the Central Asian operations to which Edmonds was referring, quoting Edmonds as saying on other occasions that al Qaeda and the Taliban were used by the US as proxies in “a decade-long illegal, covert operation in Central Asia by a small group in the US intent on furthering the oil industry and the Military Industrial Complex.”
http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/07/31/whistleblower-bin-laden-was-us-proxy-until-911/
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 07:30 pm
Today I was reading an article about the most infamous federal supermax prisoners and it reminded me that 20 years ago this coming Sunday, April 19, 1995, was the Oklahoma City bombing.

I still remember that and I was just a kid at a the time Sad
0 Replies